Concepts for individual matoran bodies [ART] NOW WITH MASKS - less spooky

Thats heretical as heck my duderino prepare urself to be purgerino’d

One word:

Try…

Oh right UPDATE:

Vo- matoran or Ligthning matorans.

And the character I failed to accuratly depict.

2 Likes

We spoke about this on the podcast, I think this is a solid step in the direction we’d want the Matoran to go, and I’m actually excited to get a kit working (if nothing else to replace that other Matoran template that people use for their OCs that I’m not a huge fan of).

It’s great that they look more ancient and like “last year’s model”, it makes the Toa stand out that much more while making the Matoran still visually interesting without being pain. I originally didn’t like the pistons, but really came around to them. It does bear that visual tribalpunk look that I felt was at the core of the Bionicle art aesthetic.

There’s like some things I would tweak, but I think Ven and Var might be working on some kind of final finishing touches. I’d actually be super interested to see what @Ragdoll’s take on a slightly revised design would be?

The only big thing I kind of have a “problem” with is the heads. I think they’re a little too skeletal and lose out on the personality aspect that the Toa heads do. I would think that the heads would be extremely similar to the ones the Toa have. Specifically, the eyes and expression need to be a lot more prominent.

That being said, really good stuff.

2 Likes

Questions:
Do we use the different designs for the different tribes or should I finalize a singular design?

Should I do more designs for Concept ?

I am already working with a few decorations for the individuallity of these things as a pogress.

Anything special you guys want done?

Yeah, these covey an “older model” look very well, and certainly below the Toa in terms of power.
While I’m a little too busy to give my take on these, I can say that what I was going for in my other Matoran designs was insinuating clothes through the patterns and colors in the matoran. The fire matoran looked like they were waring armor and the ice matoran looked like they were wearing pelts and leather. While it makes it more difficult for the minifigs to combine with each other, it made them feel a little more in their own element. You could try doing the same thing with a little more subtlety than I did, but you don’t really need to change your designs much for that.

As for the heads, they do look skeletal, making them pretty creepy. What I tried to do when I did my take on the heads was give them facial features behind the mask, like different shaped eyebrows, noses, cheeks, etc. Var’s designs revised and elaborated on them. While it doesn’t make too much sense for robots, and takes some time to design each idividual, it can go a long way for giving them a personality.

My last note is that it’s a bit difficult to tell what different genders would look like. But it doesn’t seem like that’s what you’re going for right now.

2 Likes

Ill do some Genders.

Don’t worry

1 Like

UPDATE

WIP

4 Likes

You should put lights in all their eyes, don’t exclude Tahu!

Heck yes, that looks way better.

1 Like

The ta matorans light is a WIP.

The faces look a lot better, though the addition of a nose is kind of odd. I also really appreciate the work around for the white teeth.

To be honest, I see no reason why the Matoran can’t just use the exact same heads as the Toa. Their bodies will already be simplified enough to differentiate them. A different head seems unnecessary. Especially if the simplified version would give less expression than the Toa head.

1 Like

toa and matoran should both have the same shape.
To me, a toa is an armored matoran with tribal markings, that sums up the difference, you know, kinda like the difference between a real soldier and a civilian

The Vertion I found of the Toa was so Low qualllity that I had to redraw it.

Some details were lost in the pogress.

These guys are the creme de la creme. The very embodyment of the gods power in this world.

THey just have to look better and more… “important”

Here’s the Toa heads. I had made them using TTV’s art, while creating my own Matoran designs and just recolored eyes/eyebrows and swapped mouths/eye shapes to give variety.

1 Like

Now that is just perfect. I owe you one.

You also had made some Baraki sketches am I correct?

No. I just had some Matoran designs based on Ven’s art of them. Matoran Colors/Designs

Cthulhu… F’tagn…

This pulled out a few necrons from my heart.

Ill do a free commission if you figure out the reference in that picture.

bruh, those eyes are still creepy, a big smile and the tiniest eyes ever