Correcting misperceptions

I saw a lot of rumors going around on BZPower and YouTube regarding my being let go, and I figured the easiest thing to do would be to answer them here and hopefully the answers will get disseminated.

1. I, and a handful of other people, were let go because of a restructuring. The stuff we primarily do – LEGO Life content – is being moved over to a different team in Europe, so we are redundant. It wasn’t personal, it wasn’t about job performance, it was just a change in who works on things and where it’s being done.

2. No, I did not quit because I didn’t want to talk to fans. Talking to fans has always been something I did voluntarily – LEGO Group never asked me to – and if I didn’t want to do it, I would just have stopped.

3. No, I was not fired because of anything having to do with BIONICLE. That would be like saying the last presidential election hinged on Dwight Eisenhower.

4. No, I was not asked by the company not to work on BIONICLEstory.com – they are the ones who asked me to do it in the first place. I stopped because I had a baby to support and needed to spend time on things I was being paid to do.

5. I didn’t quit. I was laid off. Not the first time it has happened in my life, and it’s just something you have to deal with. Those of you who already out in the working world know this happens in every company. It’s just the breaks.

91 Likes

I hope I can speak for most of us here when I say that we’d love to support your future endeavors if possible.
If you get a new job where fans are able to provide support, please let us know. Its the least I can do for helping create a major part of my childhood. :raised_hands:t2:

27 Likes

I echo this statement. Just know that, whatever you move on to do, we’ll always be here for support.

9 Likes

Maybe to LEGO.

Some of us know about Eisenhower’s immortality and rise to galactic power

Well, best of luck to you in any future endeavors. If you land a job doing writing in the near future, please do let us know! All of us here would be more than happy to invest in whatever career you next find.

18 Likes

Greg, you made Bionicle weird as hell, but ■■■■ it, you made it fun, and I still look back fondly on getting to experience what you gave us for the first time. You’ll always have a seat at our table, and wherever you go next, I hope it turns out well for you.

15 Likes

Thanks for making all these clarifications! Hopefully this puts a stop to some of the rumors swirling around out in the community. We’ll always be there for you, whatever comes next!

22 Likes

Whatever happens, I hope you will be as successful as you have ever been! Thank you for all you did for Bionicle, and LEGO in general!

5 Likes

Thank you very much for the clarification Greg.
Until next time. :hugs:

2 Likes

Thanks for everything Greg and best of luck for the future! Creative minds like yours will always find a way to flourish!

1 Like

Thank you for everything! It was an amazing time, and what you have created has inspired countless people to create and imagine in ways they never have before. Best of luck out there, and please, keep in touch!

2 Likes