Could Hydraxon's face piece be a mask?

now this is an idea, my friend.

2 Likes

This is very good analysis of Kanohi lore, and Bionicle lore in general. Very good job.

I’m still not convinced that we should feel obligated to make Hydraxon’s face a Kanohi, but you have proven beyond doubt that it is an option that should be allowed.

(And I suppose the extra lore depth would be kind of cool…)

2 Likes

Or, to use a more Farshteyan explanation: there’s a Kanohi that happens to look like Hydraxon’s face but has no real connection to him whatsoever, and it’s just a big coincidence.

3 Likes

Honestly, I wish I had the time for Moccing and the silver Hydraxon mask for the Hagah contest! I found the black one at a reseller but didn’t pick it up at the time. Silly me.

And yeah, considering the limited amount of officially-produced masks in the G1 canon, it would be nice to have another option. Especially one that comes in more than one color! I am in favor of this

2 Likes

A great argument, you’ve convinced me it’s possible…

However, I’m afraid I likely won’t vote for any entry with hydraxon’s Mask, for the same reason I probably won’t vote for any custom Mask shapes: I’d prefer the Hagah have known Mask shapes.

1 Like

@Eljay I see that you have merged my post with this one. I am not sure it makes a lot of sense considering this one is pretty old already but maybe that can help my case as I suspect the people who replied to this older thread will be notified as well ? Could you please change the title however ? Hydraxon does not wear a mask, that is a known fact. My entire post was built on that postulate so the current title does feel out of touch with the very point of my original post.

@TheJerminator Of course nobody should feel obligated to do anything ! However you make a good point. I wrote a lot about the “how”, not that much about the “why”. Simply, when looking at possible options for gold and silver Kanohi masks in existing Bionicle parts, I realized that the choice was quite limited. Canonizing a new Kanohi with the same shape of Hydraxon’s faceplate would increase the number of valid Kanohi options in silver. Especially since this particular part actually exists in two different colors, which is uncommon for most masks past 2002. Thanks to @TheChronicler for pointing that out.

@SirKeksalot Well sure, that also works, though I’m all for avoiding these kind of explanations when possible… :stuck_out_tongue:

@Racie02 I understand and respect your point. I just want to point out that, at least, Hydraxon’s faceplate has been designed by official LEGO designers. In a way, that makes it slightly more “legitimate” for purists than truly custom fan-made mask shapes.

2 Likes

I can, is this any better?

Personally, for this contest, I don’t really care too much about the difference between a 3d printed/custom drawn mask and an official Lego piece. Like, I might vote for an entry with a 3d mask from the comics.

1 Like

Alright, I misunderstood what you meant by “known mask shapes”.

Thanks for the title update. I think this one encompasses both the original post and mine, which is fair I guess.

1 Like

It’s been my head-canon that Hydraxon has his helmet molded in the shape of a mask representing a strong trait of his. In my mind, his helmet is in the shape of a mask of erasing, which would symbolize his unwavering mind and loyalties.

1 Like

Unfortunately, Greg specifically decided that Hydraxon’s faceplate was not shaped to look like a previously existing Kanohi. However, it can still work with established canon when taken the other way around ! A Matoran mask maker could, upon discovering how to create a mask with the power of erasing, have decided to shape the mask in the likeness of Hydraxon’s faceplate as a symbol of his unwavering mind and loyalties. Thus this trait of his would be immortalized forever in this particular mask power shape that anyone could wear to celebrate him.

2 Likes

Dude, going through BS01 I found out that every Toa Hagah’s masks are based on actual masks worn by past heroes:
1)Official Greg Dialogue | Page 174
2)Official Greg Dialogue | Page 176

With the Hagah Contest happening, if a character wearing Hydraxon’s “helmet” becomes canonized then that “helmet” is now officially a Kanohi though it’ll have a different power since a Toa Hagah is wearing it.

1 Like

Precisely. This would actually be perfect because the LEGO piece would be canonized as a Kanohi without forcing a precise power on it. So people could use it as an actual Kanohi without having to worry about the mask power matching their character or anything. That would be awesome !

5 Likes

Carefully reading the rules for the contest, apparently if the artist has permission they can change the look of the mask. So it’s not a total guarantee, I think.

1 Like