Could Norik & Iruini have informed the Toa Mangai of Teridax' betrayal?

I also found this on Biosector. It is about the Matoran Civil War.

“Teridax took a large number of the Matoran fighters and locked them in the Archives. He then released the various exhibits on the Matoran, killing a large number of them. The slaughter, which came to be known as the Archives Massacre, put an end to the fighting. However, it gave the Makuta a very bad reputation in Metru Nui.”

So perhaps a warning signal comming from an outside Toa (or maybe even Rahaga) about Teridax being evil would have made them more paranoid, enough to discover fake Dume.

In addition I also truly wonder how the Toa Mangai were assigned to the suicide missions. Like were they all given a mission at once with Lhikan staying behind? Or were they shipped out one by one (giving Lhikan more time to discover the truth behind the missions).

3 Likes

BS01 says that all of the Toa Mangai were killed by Eliminator, Nidhiki and Krekka, presumably working together. That makes me think that they were sent out at different times, as if they were sent to different places (i.e. the different gates leading out of Metru Nui) at the same time, Eliminator couldn’t have been there to kill them all, which Greg has previously stated that he did.

2 Likes

I see, interesting! Who knows at one point in an alternate universe Lhikan would have intervened. Doesn’t seem so hard to believe anymore based on what I have seen so far. I guess he could either have followed the Toa that were shipped out (kinda like how he followed Nidhiki) or have the Toa Mangai of Ice question Dume. Wouldn’t the Kanohi Rode allow the latter to see through the deception?

1 Like

Now the question is:
Was the member who wore a Rode one of the first of the Mangai to get taken out so Teridax would be at less risk of being found out, or did he on purpose want that toa alive longer so that he could feed him carefully worded statements to serve as red herrings? (Knowing how Terry loves his complex plans that make it look like he’s losing, the latter of the two seems more in-context to me.)

2 Likes

Yeah I feel like that makes sense but at the same time: wouldn’t the Rode already allow him to see through the deception the moment Teridax (posing as Dume) gives him the mission?

1 Like

" The Kanohi Rode is the Mask of Truth . It allows its user to see through all types of deception and disguises." - BS01

Now I guess we might want to look into whether the rode counts shapeshifting as a disguise.

1 Like

I believe it does. The quote you provided is probably sourced from the Updated Encyclopedia, which says the Rode can see through “any deception or disguise”. Impersonating a Turaga to gain control of the city is both deception and a disguise.

Additionally, it can see through the Baterra’s disguises, which are known to be created through shapeshifting:

It would be kind of weird if it could see through some types of shapeshifting but not others.

2 Likes

Gotcha.

So, now the Teridax trust reinforcement plot has to be so that either 1) Terry/fake Dume never interacts in-person with the rode-wearing member (which defeats the point of said trust reinforcement plot), or 2) feeds him these red herrings before he shapeshifts into fake Dume. (Could these red-herrings possibly include Terry planting the idea in his head that Lhikan is, in-fact, overly paranoid?)

I feel like the only option would be to tell a Toa other than the Rode wearer about the fake mission and then have that Toa enroll the Rode wearer in said mission. So indeed no direct contact with the Rode wearer. I thought he could also just kill that one himself but then again it says Eliminator killed them all so that wouldn’t be canon.

1 Like

Good point.
Come to think of it, Terry could’ve also dealt with Lhikan himself (using all 42 of his rahkshi powers to basically do an insta-takedown on him as well, and then, with the sea-gates closed, there would’ve been no-one in Metru Nui who could out-muscle him (especially if the Karzahni plant had taken out the island’s resident OoMN agent by then), and then, with him also having the vahki on his side, he could’ve quite likely rounded-up all the matoran into the sleeping pods, and there would be no Toa Metru to stop him. :thinking:
If not for the writers making Terry not want to get his own hands dirty, he could’ve won pretty easily in LoMN.

1 Like

Perhaps he could have taken him down by surprise but he would have to be very careful. If the Matoran catch a glimpse of the fight, they would never voluntary go in the pods like they did in the movie. They could start to hide and stuff.

2 Likes

My guess is that he wanted Lhikan alive so he could turn the Metrutoran (Nuhrii, Vhisola etc.) into Toa and use their team’s dysfunctional nature and unpopularity among the residents of Metru Nui to strengthen his power over the Matoran - in Time Trap, Vhisola is shown threatening to report Nokama to the Vahki for researching without her permission.
edit: forgot that the researcher was Nokama

4 Likes

Apparently the Rode-wearing Toa Mangai might have left before Teridax’s plan for Metru Nui was set in motion:

4 Likes

Interesting quote! I always thought all 11 of them stayed after defeating the Kanohi dragon, then some new Toa were added during the Toa / Dark Hunter War after which those same Toa left and there were 9 Toa Mangai left when Teridax started posing as Dume (the original 11 minus Tuyet and Nidhiki).

3 Likes

Well, that can make things quite simplified. :+1:

We’ll, we now know that at 2 of the road of ice left, to get the team down to 7. So the final team must have been 2 ice toa, one green toa, one stone toa, one earth toa, Naho, and Lhikan.

Wait what? How do we know this?

Greg said that the final team was “around 7”. He also said that some of the Toa of ice stayed, and some didn’t. The only way for some to stay and some to go would be for 2 to do each. And, also subtracting Nidhiki and Tuyet, this would equal 7. I guess it’s possible one of the others was gone by this time too, though, as 6 would be “around 7”.

It’s mostly just and inference.

It was seven before the Toa-Dark Hunter War. Nidhiki was still around.

Still, as 2 of the ice Toa had to leave, there’s not other way it could really shake out, then.