Crazy Idea: what if Lego started making comic books?

I know its almost impossible but what if Lego made their own comic book company? Tjey could have ongoing series on their current original themes like Ninjago, Hidden Side, and Monkie Kid. Then they could do limited series and one shots of past lego themes like Exo Force, Bionicle, Hero factory, Chima, etc. Well what do you think do you think Lego comic books would be successful?

2 Likes

I mean… they kinda already were. The issue is, comic books aren’t nearly as popular now.

2 Likes

Perhaps they could be mostly digital with a limited print run?

They did do online comics. Exo force, bionicle. If you’re talking about physical though the bigger companies have basically murdered the industry with politics and books no one wants; just look at new warriors and twilig…I mean Gotham high.

3 Likes

I doubt that would do exceptionally well. Part of the reason the bionicle and HF comics did so well, was because they were part of the lego magazine. You got them anyway. you signed up for the magazine, the comic was just a bonus.

Without that way of getting people started, they wouldn’t do half as well.

3 Likes

Also true. Ignoring the state of the industry their main audience of kids wanted to see the sets and all that stuff; stuff like the comics were a happy extra.

2 Likes

Yeah… the thing is the comics (and story material in general), for Lego, have always just been a form of advertising for their sets. We got them for free during Bionicle’s run because the idea was that they would make kids want to buy the sets even more. I don’t think Lego would ever put money into producing comics for lines that they aren’t producing anymore. Even if the readers had to pay for them, like traditional comic books, I don’t think there would be a large enough readership to make it worth it.

4 Likes

Well, they already are making comic books for Ninjago and a couple other themes, sometimes they’re called graphic novels but how successful the comics would be would depend on the stories the comics tell (for fan interest) and the success of the line its based on (for LEGO) as those comics would be, essentially, an advertisement for that line and if the line of sets isn’t doing well, why would LEGO want to put resources into making a tie-in comic series for it?

In short, I think it would be successful but it would also be a bit reliant on how well the series of sets is doing as that’s LEGO’s main way of making money.

1 Like

They’ve made several (and by several I mean quite a bit) graphic novel adaptations of various shows.

I just don’t think they’re as successful.

They used to make comic books that were packaged with the Super Hero Themed sets. Wonder why they stopped.

1 Like

Probably printing/production costs.

1 Like