Cult Movies

Lately, I’ve been obsessing over my favorite cult movie, Highlander. It’s a great story about immortality and the struggle between good and evil, but it’s doomed to forever remain a cult movie because it’s told in a nonlinear fashion that confuses casual viewers (and has a particular 80’s aesthetic that not everyone cares for). What are your favorite cult movies–films that bewilder or repulse “normal” people, but are very appealing to you and like-minded people?

4 Likes

Oh, my dad showed me highlander the other night. It was quite good. I was surprised to see Clancy Brown in it.

2 Likes

Tron.

4 Likes

@Matoro Glad you liked it! Yeah, Clancy Brown is great as always in it, and it came out 8 or 10 years before he became really successful.

@Marendex_T17 Tron is great! Not so much the sequel, unfortunately (at least IMO).

2 Likes

Evil Dead 3 is… Groovy.

2 Likes

Pulp Fiction

2 Likes

Think UHF counts as a cult movie?

1 Like

For sure!

“Do they speak English in what?”

Then that’s my favorite :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure.

Pretty odd movie, but still fun to watch.

3 Likes

Is the Ocean’s (11, 12, 13) series considered a cult series? Because if so, then w00t w00t, all aboard the cult-train.

Also, 9 might be considered cult.

Both of these are pretty swell things.

1 Like

EXCELLENT!!! air guitars An excellent choice I might add :stuck_out_tongue:

I think the Ocean’s movies were a too successful to qualify as “cult.” I think 9 might qualify, especially since I almost never hear references to it.

1 Like

Does the Matrix count?

I kinda doubt it…

I dunno; it is pretty well-known, but it does have an extremely devoted following.

I only recently saw it

needless to say the Matrix Reloaded is going in the DVD player in a few days

DON’T DO IT MAN

I kid, but only sort of. The sequels really don’t live up to the original at all; for a lot of people, they actually taint the original. Reloaded has its moments, I guess, but the third one is, like, 90 minutes of action scenes with 5 minutes of actual plot…and the plot isn’t very good. It might be ok as an action movie on its own, but as a sequel to something as profound as the Matrix, it fails hard. :-/

1 Like

We couldn’t get Matrix: Revolution at our library, so we just have the first and Reloaded. I’ll take your advice about Revolution into account though.

1 Like

Be forewarned that Reloaded ends on a pretty big cliffhanger (much bigger than the first one did). And what I said about Revolutions somewhat applies to it as well, though not to quite the same degree. TBH, if you want more Matrix, I would recommend the Animatrix over the sequels, if you can get your hands on it.

1 Like