Custom painted parts No.2

So yo! Got bored over the weekend and made some more things!

So from right to left (and top to bottom), the custom paint jobs go as, failed attempt at a yellowed bone colour, paint test mask, secondary black Avohkii (needed for soon to be shown reasons), randomly want to paint one of my like 5 Vakama masks (tell me, does anyone else find the design familiar? ‘Cause if you do and/or know of some anime or something where a mask like this is in it let me know because this is driving me nuts!), removal of stupid grey lines from those alternate… cross axels? T-axels? Always forget the name for these… and last but not least, some weird attempt at trying to make a purple vortixx head due to the sheer abundance of these things I have.

So there you go! Maybe I’ll do some more soon, maybe I won’t. We’ll see.
=P

23 Likes

That paint better come off or else it’s

6 Likes

NEVER! Also, you want heresy eh? Then check this out, fool! MUAHAHAHAHAHAH!

3 Likes

We will ban you heretic

2 Likes

WE SHALL NEVER DIE! WE SHALL JUST RETURN STRONGER THAN BEFORE!

1 Like
2 Likes

Heresy shall never stop me!

1 Like

Heresy is a god send.

1 Like

Yesssss.~

2 Likes

Quite the strange conversation… interesting paint jobs!

1 Like

Haha, yep. Also, 'ey! Glad to hear! These were about my second or so attempts at painting, this time with model paints instead of spray paint. (I blame winter for that.)

Winter? Your unicorn or the season? : P How do you edit your homepage btw… I’ve been trying to figure that out forever lol

The season my friend, a time of my most hated temperature… cold…

Also to edit your page, go to your profile, or clink on your icon in the upper right, and click on the gear labelled ‘Preferences’, it has access to most of all that. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Lol. The only time I’ve ever scene cold was an ice sculpture exhibit that was 19 ferenheit. Ima Floridian

Thanks!

Haha… lucky I will say.

Also, welcome.

What kind of paint are you using? I notice that some of them aren’t as smoothly painted as they could be. Are you thinning your paint first?

I always paint with acrylics (Walmart brand works fine). But they come out of the tube very thick, almost like mayonnaise. It’ll never look right when it’s that thick. So I just mix a few drops of water into a glob of the paint. It makes a huge difference in the final product.

Sorry OP I don’t want to sound like I’m lecturing you or anything. Just trying to save you some frustration and wasted parts.

2 Likes

Hey, don’t worry about it! I actually enjoy feedback such as this!

I do try to thin the paint, when I can, but for the most part I either can’t at the cost urgent time, or the paint itself is fairly fluid at the time.

As for the ‘rougher’ one’s, that’s mainly due to a mixture of the paint brush used and the paint itself.

I use either spray paint, Testors enamel paint, or a mixture of both, with Testors being used for details.

Testors itself is a model paint, more for detail work than solid painting like these, but, unfortunately due to the weather when I was making these I had to use that instead of my usual way of just giving it a solid coating with spray paint.

The ‘roughness’ mainly came from the paint brush both not being able to make large strokes, due to size, and running out of paint/sticking as I used it to cover surfaces much larger than it’s usually used for,

So far, from what I can tell, you can thin Testors, but for the most part it’s in the way of making a wash, and less so thinning it itself.

Enamel paints don’t dry properly on Lego plastics though. They stay sort of tacky forever, don’t they?

Here is a comment thread about enamel paints that talks about why this happens. I never use enamels anymore because a Batman figure that I painted 5 years ago is still not fully dry.

1 Like

Huhhh… I have not noticed that… from what I can guess it’s mainly due to how thin the layers actually are, so far, while the texture itself is off a bit, it doesn’t really feel anymore tacky than my spray painted ones… I either got lucky or I didn’t notice… I’ll have to check.

Also, either way, they work amazingly well for detail/washes after spray painting/coating the mask in a separate layer of paint.

Do you use an airbrush for spraying, or just cans of spray paint? I think I’d like to try that. What brand are you using?

1 Like