:) :d ;) Are these weird?

I use these Emoji’s all the time, but they seem a little loose when it comes to what they should be used for.

For example, I might complement someone’s MOC and it might sound weird if I say it this way:

Hey, it looks good ; )

But, if I say it this way it seems to me that it looks better:

Hey, it looks good :wink:

What are your thoughts?
Anyone ever feel awkward when I use these Emoji’s?

1 Like

I feel awkward when anyone calls them emojis.
What ever happened to emoticons?

6 Likes

Apple happened.

7 Likes

Wait a minute, you don’t call them Emoji’s?

Are used to call them emoticons until Weird Al new album came out.

Do you only people who use the iPhone see these emoticons?

2 Likes

I feel as though the topic title should be a bit more descriptive as to what the topic is about.

I use : p or >:I a lot to point out that I’m joking or being sarcastic, and I use XP to reinforce the fact that I’m in a friendly lighthearted mood.

I don’t think I’ve ever used an angry face when I’m actually angry at something.

I never use ; ) because it either sounds snarky or flirtatious and I’ve been told by several female friends that it makes them feel uncomfortable when guys use it.

I also never use ^^ or any variation because it feels too cutesy and out of character for me.

With that said, it depends on how the programs reformat these emoticons. For example things that I wouldn’t normally use like ; ) look more acceptable as :wink:
Skype completely ruins the : p emote and I feel like our forums make it look kind of dumb too :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Oh, few!!!

For a second there I was starting to think that I was the only one who sees these emoticons…

The :stuck_out_tongue: emote over on Skype is just plain creepy.

2 Likes

I just do two :smiley: :smiley: and I’m good, but I see your point. It seems the more photo esc Smileys or Emoticons or what ever you wish to call them seem to clean the comments up a little more. I think it’s because going : D doesn’t exactly look like a face, just looks like random things typed in to resemble a face. But :smiley: looks more like a face but with a cartoony look that gets the point across. Plus it’s easier for people to figure out the emotions.

I know, it really annoyed me.

The old one was better, but I’ve gotten used to it so I don’t really pay attention to how weird it is. I type :stuck_out_tongue: out of habit and when that emote first came out I was getting upset with myself that I kept forgetting to not type it since that emote seemed so bad at first.

edit: clarifying to mean I’m talking about the Skype : P emote

2 Likes

this emote?

no one likes this guy
I am okay with the forums one, it does look dumb though
the skype one is death

2 Likes

What is going on with the xD face, it looks so dumb. : P

1 Like

xD Join us Viper, xD Join us, xD Join the colony xD, there`s no escape! xD xD xD xD xD xD xD xD xD xD xD xD xD xD xD xD xD xD xD xD!

1 Like

This is the only emoticon I need.

/人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
Do you wanna make a contract?

Yep, I know how much you despise using it

1 Like

:dolls: :dolls: :dolls: :dolls: :dolls: :dolls: One of us :dolls: :dolls: :dolls: One of us One of us :dolls: :dolls: :dolls: :dolls:

3 Likes

i just use c: all the time.

I tend to use

:smile: For most of my post as a force of habit.

:fire: :facepunch: :fire: when I’m excited or feel accomplished

^^ when I’m happy or thankful

^^" when it’s awkward or stupidly funny

And >8D for humor, or when I have something devious planned