Daily life on Mata Nui: Po-Koro pottery works

After a 3-year break we’re back! The year is 2003. We’re back in Mata Nui! Enjoy this scene of daily life in island paradise, featuring fully-poseable Matoran builds.

The Po-Koro pottery works turns local clay and flammable Onu-Koro mine gas into distinctive red pottery seen ubiquitously across Mata Nui. Matoran come from across the island not only to buy their pots but to watch the masters at work.

Master potter Okoa throws pots on a custom-made, wind-powered pottery wheel.

His apprentice Whe’ai meticulously glazes each pot with glazes made from local deposits of tin and iron.

Together, Okoa and Whe’ai keep the kiln burning day and night.

Their business partner Akamu is the salesman, tending their roadside stall and selling fine pottery to Matoran from all six villages.

23 Likes

Very nice! Brick-built locations or dioramas like this aren’t too common in the moccing world, and I think you did this one pretty well! I like all the details, neat job.

5 Likes

I love their jewelry!

5 Likes

That dome is pretty impressive. Is it buildable with physical parts?

3 Likes

It should be. I used a sphere generator that does have an option to add internal density (which for the sake of my PC I did not turn on)

4 Likes

Oww cute, omg this is so cute.
Really well done on the shaping and the scene as a while.
I love the wind powered pottery station A LOT. That is such a smart design.
The only thing that’s a little off is with post processing and not the build, just that the build is floating so it looks separate to the background.
A way I find to fix that is to turn off shadows in Studio and add them manually in PS after. It really helps to make thing sit better in a scene like this.

4 Likes

Thanks for the kind words! I’m definitely still getting used to postprocessing. Right now all I’ve done is manually adjust the contrast.

4 Likes