DC Universe: The New Age of Heroes (Signup and Discussion Topic)

Not a problem. If and when you can post, just feel free, no pressure :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Name: Hayden Johns
Alias: Cobalt Flare
Species: Human
Alignment: Hero
Bio: Hayden Johns was not your average 19 year old: although he was going to college at ol’ Met U like every other college aged kid in Metropolis, Hayden was a loner. Hayden did like people and being around them, but he had never quite figured out how to hold conversations, so he ended up being alone most of the time. Which was why he was in the woods that day, when tragedy struck: a tree fell on top of him. The tree was on fire with a dark blue flame that burned him severely, but the flames remained on the tree. After burning out, the charred remains of the tree glowed blue, but even while the tree was only charred pieces now, Hayden couldn’t leave as he could no longer feel his legs. He was forced to wait for someone to find him, as his phone was broken by the tree falling on him. After several hours the wood stopped glowing and Hayden was found an hour after that. At the hospital he was informed that he had been almost paralyzed in his legs, and while he would be able to move them a little he would never walk again. Hayden’s body started randomly erupting into dark blue flames burning the hospital bed, whatever he was wearing at the time (usually a hospital gown), and nearby items. One time this happend while he accidentally flew up, Hayden ended up burning through the roof before he ended up getting a hold of his flight powers and crashing into the woods outside of Metropolis. Hayden survived out in the woods until he could completely control his powers. He is now living in an apartment in the city which he pays for with some coal he found that he made into diamonds.
Powers/Abilities/Equipment: flight; dark blue fire blasts; heat resistance; body can erupt into dark blue flames (which means bye-bye whatever he was wearing); enhanced strength, speed, and durability
Appearance: 5’9 with reddish brown hair, blue eyes, and pale skin.

So I’m not the GM, which means I have no say in profiles, but I’m just a little completely confused

So uh, can he not walk while not in super power form?
Because later it seems to imply he can

:eyes: :heavy_dollar_sign: :gregf:

Nobody suspicious by him sending a diamond in his rent envelope every month?

Kudos for making an origin story somehow more bonkers than the shenanigans of Mr. Nobody

@Ghid he can’t walk at all, yet he can fly.
Also, he sold the diamonds and that goes into rent money and other expenses.

And I was going for a crazy backstory.

Name: Lauren Nichols

Alias: Snapshot

Alignment: Hero

Bio: Upon turning 18, Lauren was left three things by her late grandmother: first, a Polaroid camera, a memento of the countless weekends they had spent together in her childhood; second, a set of yellowed, hand-inked tomes; third, the knowledge that her grandmother had been a practitioner of magic, and wanted to pass her craft along to Lauren. Needless to say, this was quite the shock. However, between her natural curiosity and love for the fantastical, she couldn’t help but honor her grandma’s request and throw herself into these strange new studies. This proved quite difficult, in part because she lacked any homo magi blood, and it took her several months to do so much as enchant her grandma’s old camera.

Finally, she reached a breakthrough: while she was awful at using magic in novel ways, she devised a way to copy powers that she had seen using her camera. Wandering the streets of the ever-busy Metropolis was a surefire way to find powers to copy, giving her plenty of heroes to photograph and opportunities to practice her unique niche of magic. She wasn’t able to stay an idle observer for long, though, crafting the identity of “Snapshot” as she became a semi-active member of the city’s mask scene.

In the meantime, she threw herself back into her hobby of photography, combining it with her in-progress journalism degree to find a career as a newspaper photographer. She earned herself a job at The Lancer, working alongside her friend Katelyn. She does her best to balance her job with her contributions as a hero, still trying to learn more and live up to her grandmother’s legacy as a magician on the side.

Powers/Abilities/Equipment: As mentioned, Lauren is far from a prodigy magician. She struggles to pull off anything more than simple spells without concentration and practice, with things often getting out of control when she tries to do so. Instead, she has found another application of magic: enchantment of objects.

However, crafting an enchanted artifact from scratch is quite the process, tedious and time-consuming to a frustrating degree for someone who also has to balance a full-time job, a secret life as a super hero, and pretending to be a normal human being on the side. This is where the camera comes in. When her camera is used to take a picture of a power, it creates an imprint of the photographed power, an imprint that she can then infuse into an object, creating an enchanted object.

When a picture is taken, the imprint obtained can be a bit limited, something that mostly comes into play with more general or nuanced abilities. For example, if a picture was taken of someone using pyrokinesis to shoot a fireball, the imprint would include the ability to shoot fireballs, but not any other aspect of pyrokinesis. Something else, like manipulating existing fire or heat resistance, would need to have its own picture. Furthermore, the pictures need some time to develop, usually half an hour to an hour, before they can be used effectively.

When it comes to the enchanted objects, a few factors play into their creation. While Lauren has yet to find a definite and consistent limit on how powerful a single object can become, this isn’t to say that an object can be enchanted without end. For one, the size of the object in question seems to play a role, with small objects like pens or simple jewelry only being capable of holding a single power, but larger objects like staffs or even cars (don’t ask) being able to hold far more. Furthermore, it seems that similar powers synergize and are able to coexist more easily, whereas it takes more effort for dissimilar powers to coexist in a single object. Finally, alterations to the object, such as carving runes and glyphs or even adding foreign materials like gemstones, are key to allowing an object to gain and retain a given power. Objects similar to their initial shape will only hold powers for a short amount of time, while objects with significant engravings, gemstones, etc. are bound to maintain their power for as long as Lauren is alive. This offers Lauren a trade-off: being discreet with a very limited arsenal, or being able to utilize magic more fully at the cost of doing so very obviously.

Now, for a brief overview of Lauren’s collection of enchanted trinkets. The talismans listed here are only meant to be an idea of what she likes to keep on hand/use often; I hope to expand upon this list at a later date, with prior approval of course.

-Camera: An old Polaroid camera passed down to Lauren by her grandmother. She has enchanted the camera to have an unending supply of film, and to be able to copy the powers that it captures in photo form. It also has the ability to create a blinding flash of light to disorient opponents in battle.

-Sunglasses: A pair of aviator sunglasses, enchanted with a simple glamour spell that blurs her face and features.

-Pendant: A small pendant, engraved and inlaid with a gemstone. Has the ability to transport her and only her back to her home. Works within Metropolis, hasn’t been tested outside of there.

-Flashlight: a slim, handheld flashlight imbued with the power of laser vision

-Jacket: a black jacket, imbued with increased durability

-Pen: A ballpoint pen imbued with speed copied from a speedster. It writes fast, which can be as much of a curse as a blessing.

Appearance: Lauren stands a bit on the short side, with olive skin and an athletic build. While she keeps her dark hair long, most often she has it pulled up in a ponytail. She doesn’t explicitly have a costume, as her sunglasses can blur her features when she needs anonymity.

absolutely no time has passed what are you talking about

3 Likes

Aight, I guess there’s nothing technically wrong with this

Approved

Very nice

Approved

I’m just glad you posted it at all :stuck_out_tongue:

With that, I think we just about have everything we need. You can expect an opening post later in the day, and I’ll link it here when it’s up.

Alright, the RP topic is live: DC Universe: The New Age of Heroes (RP Topic)

3 Likes

Woot woot

Ok, I’m in. I don’t know how active I’ll be. I’m revamping my New Hawkhood character for it

Name: Vance McGregor
Alias(es): The Warden
Alignment: Skeptical hero
Bio: Vance grew up well, to wealthy parents who are still alive and retired to a small farm. They left their previous estate, a mansion on the outskirts of the city, to him. He lives there alone, and the family business was sold to investors, but he receives a royalty. He was always skeptical of superheroes, never really finding them interesting as a kid, and growing to question their motives. He trusts the government even less, wanting to leave meta-human accountability to meta-humans. A freak incident occurred while touring the R&D department of his company. The researchers were demonstrating their work on attempting to find and travel to a theoretical parallel dimension. When the machine was activated, malfunctions occurred, and Vance failed to escape while helping his lab team. He got sent to the other dimension, which at the time was completely empty, but discovered he had a connection to it. Nearly omnipotent inside the dimension, he was able to recreate compounds he knew the makeup of from earth, and found himself able to bring whatever he made within the dimension with him as long as he could carry it as a normal human on earth. He designed his own suit, and usually goes after snakebite dealers and users, especially not trusting street thugs with meta-human level super strength. He could theoretically go after anyone he wanted if he found them to be misusing powers.
Powers/Abilities/Equipment:
Purgatory: The name he came up with for his personal pocket dimension. He can send anyone or anything into the dimension if he can force them into a portal. He is almost omnipotent within Purgatory, but could be killed, as he’s not all-seeing within it. One cannot escape unless they follow Vance out very closely or he releases them. The first is quite unlikely but he’s known to do the second. He has build several buildings full of weapons and gadgets, including some made of kryptonite, which he can pull from the dimension at any time. There’s no yellow sun within Purgatory, and the Warden can change physics there as he pleases, to the point that he could completely restrain anyone’s powers through trial and error, or could make himself completely unsusceptible to the powers. He keeps most prisoners in prison buildings.

Teleportation: Using Purgatory, he can teleport by moving within the parallel dimension to the location on earth he’s parallel to. He limits his use of this due having to carefully strategize where he exits his own little world.

Wide array of gadgets and vehicles, usually preferring his motorcycle (comparable to the dark knight trilogy batpod) but also has a small aircraft, a Lamborghini, and several other less used high tech and normal vehicles.

Suit has jet boots for brief flight and can be modified for different scenarios

Appearance: Typical mid-late twenties billionaire with auburn hair. Slightly stocky and about average height.
Suit is a typical skintight super suit that’s primarily black with some gunmetal gray plating and glowing purple highlights (variable based on if a power source for a specific scenario is being used). And a black cape because yeah
Mask:

Edited from art by outerrimartworks

Let me know if he’s too OP. I probably wouldn’t use him to his theoretical potential

1 Like

Hmm, yeah, just a bit? Let’s walk through this :stuck_out_tongue:

No. If this character is staying at all, he cannot just no u his opponents into a doom portal, this is not fun to fight, and even if it does take some effort to put them there, every fight you do will boil down to “shove them into portal as fast as possible so you can near-instantly win”, so I doubt it would even be fun to play.

Especially against what amounts to a bunch of super-steroid junkies with little to no combat training most of the time.

So you’re telling me that he

all of the materials needed to make buildings, weapons, gadgets, etc? At that point, why not just make him create the gadgets irl, he’s already a fricken billionaire.

I can’t really see this working, not unless it’s heavily revised.

2 Likes

That’s understandable. It was kind of on the spot brainstorming lol

That’s a good point. How about he can’t create, but anything in there he can control? Like he keeps a gun in there, sends someone in, and they try to use it on him he can cause it to malfunction?

The idea would be that he wouldn’t always have physical advantage enough to be able to focus to the point of opening a portal, and forcing them in. Maybe he can’t do it with conscious people? Or is less powerful while inside?

Part of the reason he was so OP Is that last time I tried to use him he wasn’t powerful enough compared to other characters :stuck_out_tongue:

This is 100% going to crop up again.

1 Like

I don’t know that metaphor, what’s it mean lol

If you’re playing it right, this shouldn’t even be a problem. I can tell you now that I as the GM am not going to throw anything at you that you can’t handle without some creativity, and I’m also not going to let in players that could clean house without a decent weakness.

I think that the very least you need to specify what he can actually do in there. “Almost omnipotent” is a stupidly open phrase.

1 Like

Okay, that makes sense.

How about this: When he’s in, he can raise his normal physical capabilities (strength endurance and speed) To something similar to that of a kryptonian under yellow sun. In making matter, it’s limited in size to maybe fitting in the palm of his hand. Additional capabilities would be limited to something like gravity creation/control, and very strong telekinesis.

EDIT: matter creation could also take extreme focus and wouldn’t work in the middle of a fight

so far looking at the abilities of PCs accepted so far, we have; a magnet man with above average strength, a robot that shoots rockets and has grenades(it runs on diesel), a dude that can turn gold and not take physical damage while in gold form(there are limitations, poisons would still work on him, and so would psychics and magic), paper girl who can use magic sigils on her paper(her power is paper :stuck_out_tongue:), my crack-pot detective who’s got a gun, and a power to get an answer(basically he just goes into a trance and gets a vision that gives him clues of what he asks, for whatever he asks), we have ice lady with nice powers, a news-reporter(no powers here), da nuke guy with da elektrical power to store elektricity and become hotttt(with four T’s), we have a fire dood with some hot powers, and lastly on the approved list is a photographer with enchantment magic(she can take picture of spells to use them later)

that’s all the accepted ones so far, and it seems decently balanced in terms of power levels, altho there’s some wacky ones in there :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Wasn’t there also a dinosaur haha

Ehhh, I don’t think I’m going to be convinced

Hey, where’s the fun without a little wack? :stuck_out_tongue:

The dinosaur wasn’t accepted, for reasons I hope are obvious :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

that’s an odd way to spell a walking pile of razorblades

well tbh it’s more like turn un-gold

he’s also like 13-ish I tried to keep his age relatively ambiguous

2 Likes

Seriously? That must’ve been a lot of failed attempts. This is 2020, to be clear :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I mean, superman died in 1993? so that’s 14 years of testing. not too shabby for creating a superhero