Death Note

Actually, I would love to see Warner Brothers and Legendary Pictures team up to create a true adaption of the manga. While these Japanese movies are cool, the earlier ones like to base word for word off the manga, and I just think a big-budget, star American produced version would be pretty cool.
(Don’t hate please. XD)

This is a movie in production at the moment. It is my understanding that they want it to be rated R.

@OraNui I wanted to say something the effect of what you posted on IMDB about this, but you said it best. Could you paste it here and tag Fat and Scar?

1 Like

I believe that the movie is actually being turned into a Netflix movie now.

The movie is intended to have an R rating, here’s what I think about that:

2 Likes

I feel you vastly misunderstand why an R-rating would be needed for an accurate adaption of Death Note, a great live-action death note.

Death Note has a lot of fairly graphic scenes, especially in the later half of the storyline. The death of several characters is done in an increasingly violent way, the death of Matt and Light Yagami for example features them being shot multiple times. That sort of execution-like scene alone would warrant an R-rating in most films.

That isn’t even beginning to factor in all of the dark themes that this movie includes such as the nature of justice, suicides, murders, mass killings, cults, etc… - along with one of the most difficult aspects to pull off… having a serial killer be shown as a relatable character whose descent into madness can still cause viewers to question their own views on what is right and wrong.

The Death Note anime on its own warranted a 15 rating, and that isn’t even live-action. A straight-up adaptation of the anime alone would warrant a R rating, let alone if they tried adapting the manga.

An R rating doesn’t mean that the movie will automatically do things such as you described.

The only death I can think that would warrant an R rating would be the death of Mikami. I’ve seen deaths similar to Matt and Lights’s in PG-13. Though the darker themes could be enough.

Ora has distrust when this kind of thing happens, as adaptations are often fowled up for similar reasons.

2 Likes

I think some of the suicides would be pushing it such as people leaping off buildings which was common in the anime, the guy getting run over by a bus or lorry also. Plus that ‘church death’ scene where they get burned alive, depending on what level they show that.

Though yeah, i understand his worries, but some of his comment on that site seem like extreme examples. Most of the time an R-rating just means they show more of the death and gore, which could honestly be used to help Death Note given you’d immediately have a much more deeper personal question. Before it was just the idea that writing a name would kill someone off-screen, but if we see a brutal death caused by the name and the horror of it all then it could be used well.

I don’t disagree with you. I personally have no trust in either possibility. Even if it’s good. I’m happy to just watch the anime.

1 Like

Very few deaths in the entire show even depicted blood, I can only think of 3 and only one was particularly violent (Mikami’s). I can understand some of your points, but it feels like they’re doing this because of a little movie called Deadpool. Which means they could go too far with a lot of this. I see no reason they’re should be graphic deaths in this movie when they were so very rare in first place.

And yet the show without showing much blood still earned a 15 rating, and that was back when anime were getting a lot lesser ratings than they honestly should. Such as Elfen Lied, which has tons of blood and gore, getting the same rating.

Either way, having that sort of stuff in a film nowadays would easily get a higher rating than the 15 its already at - especially considering the reason the anime rating is lower is primarily because these are not people its happening to, just cartoons.

1 Like

I don’t know what rating systems you’re basing this off of, but we don’t have 15 here in the US. I don’t know in what world Elfen Lied gets a 15 rating, it’s TV-MA here in the US which is 17 and up, or an equivalent to an R rating. That show has extremely graphic violence and nudity and would never pass for anything lower here. The age 15 falls exactly in between the ages of 13 and 17, so when something gets that in another country, it typically could swing either way here in the states. Death Note is TV-14 here, which is usually equivalent to PG-13. An example of this going the other way is with the anime Fate/Zero, it’s a little bit too violent for a PG-13 level, but it’s definitely tamer than something like Elfen Lied, it’s given a 15 in the UK, but here in the US it is rated TV-MA.

3 Likes

I look like Light and L had a baby.

OK.

Does that trailer actually say six death notes?
Talk about up to 11.

Wait. What trailer???

So this may surprise you guys, but I only finished his show today.

Say what?!?! I’m kidding, so what did you think?

It was good, but the final arc felt rushed. The ending was… Um… Ok?

I don’t get some peoples’ issue with the ending. It makes complete sense if you really think about.

1 Like

It does make complete sense. But I kind of wanted to see a little more of what happens after.

I think the manga goes a little farther, but don’t quote me on that.

1 Like