Destiny 2 W.I.P. fic: Corrupted light, or, the coward and the hero, or, the tale of two idiots - Prologue

Earth, once a beautiful planet populated by billions of humans, a bipedal homosapien species, constantly on the road to discovery and technological improvement, from ways to make life easier to even attempts to explore the stars, a wish long hoped for seen as impossible by many.

Until ‘it’ came. A being known only as the traveler, a sentient, space faring orb seemingly constructed of light and technology, a level of technological advance that we could only wish for. A wish which it granted.

“Cowards! Fools! Blithering imbeciles!” A flying, rubikscubian shaped robot yelled angrily in a tinny, stuttering voice. It’s purple eye-light flaring, flickering red before reconverting as it flew on, scanning any dead bodies it came across in the ruins of civilization that were left of earth.
Muttering grumpily all the while.

This being was known as a ghost, robots created from the depleting remenants of the Traveler’s power, to find once dead warriors.
Now most of the requirements were fuzzy the most agreed upon one, by all who had studied the ghosts, was their connection to the light, only those with a high connection to the light could be chosen.

This ghost was different than its brethren though, and not just voice wise.
The most noticeable difference was its eye-light, all others being a light blue compared to its deep purple. It was very similar to that of void energy in color, truthfully. It was also quite old looking, even for a ghost, and damaged. The lower right of its four exterior spikes crushed and slightly torn off, leaving a noticeable tear from which small sparks emanated in short intervals.

“Bah, so my experiments messed with my last ‘guardians’ revival. Not like he’d had any light left at that point. Would’ve died anyways. So what if I accidentally created a ‘super fallen‘, it only caused a couple of casualties, they were all guardians anyway, and it didn’t even last an hour before it was killed. Bah, fearful fools.” The ghost practically spat out. In truth it probably would’ve spit for emphasis too if it had had a mouth.

“Now I’ve been chased from the city and forced to squander my abilites on these lightless fools.” It said, staring in an irritated way across the corpse ridden road. “They can’t even form proper Fallen when I do manage to ‘revive’ one of them, especially nowhere near the power of my first.” It said in disappointment, drooping. “Can’t even provide useful test results so I can better refine my experiments.”

After its final words of disappointment it hovered there for a moment, only the ambient sounds of nature and its own whirring could be heard before it said, sighing, “Perhaps I’ll get lucky farther down, I’ve already checked all of these anyways.”
It sent one last scan across the area as it turned to leave, a quiet ding sounding as the scan started to flicker out, the ghost spinning around, a shocked “Oh?!” Of surprise sounding from it.

“There’s a voidal connected?!”

============

So for the basics behind this/why it’s being done @ItsFrostbyte and me had been chatting together about destiny and such and we suddenly hadn’t this idea to try and write a fanfic.
Now we don’t have much developed, plot wise, but we do have some basic ideas and the two main characters (this prologue actually a foreshadowing of the introduction of mine).

Now as you can tell this does have a bit of AU to it, such as terms or the… ‘odd’, currently ‘unnamed’ ghost, who will be more introduced in the 1st chapter (if I/we ever get around to writing it).

So, just tell me what you think of it! Any problems? Bad writing, explanations? Ways to better my writing?

It’s all up to you what you say, just please do try and keep it constructive.
Thanks and happy reading or whatnot!

Quick update: Also, for those who want an example of what the ghost looks like here’s the closest example I currently have to what I see his look as:

(Just think of this more scuffed up and the broken area I talked about in the fic.)

Hope this works for those who may have wanted such.
=P

3 Likes

Overall, nice writing. You do have a bit of a thing for run-on sentences, though. Splitting these up makes it a bit nicer to read.

2 Likes

Ah sorry, always have trouble noticing them or at least when I do then splitting them apart. Any idea on how to better fix them? ‘Cause I got a couple of them when editing before and if I missed more then… ;~;

Glad to see you like it at least! Meant to upload it earlier or whatnot but then never got around to it.

Interesting start. I would love to know what set this ghost on the path of trying to create fallen guardians and why it was cast out. I hope you expand upon this concept. My advice would be to delve deep into the ghost’s motives and previous guardians.

1 Like

Glad you like him!
Also development on this ghost will defiently be happening! He’s basically a 3rd main character… unless you count both my Guardian and the ghost as around the same character position.
Let’s just say that he’s… a bit of an AU-ization I threw in this fic.
(If you want me to expland on it I am Moreno than willing to do so!)

=P

Well, you already have a bunch of commas in there. The trick is taking some of those pauses and just stopping the sentence there. For example:

“The most noticeable difference was its eye-light, all others being a light blue compared to its deep purple, very similar to that of void energy in color truthfully, it was also quite old looking, even for a ghost, and damaged, the lower right of its four exterior spikes crushed and slightly torn off, leaving a noticeable tear from which small sparks emanated in short intervals.”

This is all one sentence. But now:

The most noticeable difference was its eye-light, all others being a light blue compared to its deep purple. It was very similar to that of void energy in color, truthfully. It was also quite old looking, even for a ghost, and damaged. The lower right of its four exterior spikes crushed and slightly torn off, leaving a noticeable tear from which small sparks emanated in short intervals.

I did add a few words, just where I made the sentence end or begin. Does that make sense?

1 Like

Thank you! This helps so much and I can see where you’re going (period to comma wise)! Ima fix this all now!
(Hope you don’t mind if I take your already edited bit though. =P)

1 Like