Did any Matoran actually die during 2001-2003 story arc?

Aside from Jaller who was revived soon after.
But all those Rahi and Bohrok attacks, plus thr naturaldisasters occuring from time to time.

3 Likes

Maybe. I was able to find two instances where Greg answered a similar question:

Both of these answers have some level of ambiguity to them, but they both suggest very few deaths, if any.

(Also, in MNOG, Jala makes a reference to “losing warriors”, but the canonicity of that statement is unclear.)

5 Likes

Actually, Kopeke confirmed that those Ta-Matoran were taken by Makuta’s Rahi, and were never found. And Kopeke said he would have shared the same fate, literally frozen to death, if Takua didn’t use the heatstone from a hut, to unfreeze him.

9 Likes

Greg told me that there were 1,006 Matoran before Vakama and the others became Toa Metru, and that there were 999 Matoran remaining after Takua became Takanuva, meaning that no Matoran died during the 1,000 years they were on Mata Nui. Search “Turaga Of Force” on the Greg archive if you want exact quotes.

Surel-nuva, where did Kopeke say that?

1 Like

Here’s Kopeke’s quote from the game:

The Makuta led them into the ice, and I fear they will not return. Had you not come and saved me, I would be facing a similar fate.

Death is implied but kept ambiguous, as early BIONICLE had strict policies against violence.

1 Like

It has already been retconned that not only 1,000 matoran lived on Metru Nui, but thousands of Matoran.

2 Likes

between makuta mehcinations, wild or corrupted rahi, natural threats and plain accidents, there had to be some over time. now that i think about it, a story focused on a matoran only quest that includes some casualties would be rather interesting.

1 Like

Other than that we only know Jaller dies and was promptly revived (we do not have a confirmed Red Star duplicate) and Mavrah, of which we know is a Red Star zombie.

1 Like

Mavrah’s not a zombie:

I didn’t mean a zombie in the sense of Romero/Russo reanimated corpse, rather that he is revived.

But what about Ahkmou? Wasn’t he lost on the way to Mata nui? I’ve only just gotten to web of the visorak so I actually have no idea what happens to him.

That would mean that there should only be 998 matoran after Takua became a toa.

There’s an explanation in some of the stuff that came out before those novels, but happens later chronologically. Do you care about spoilers, or can I just tell you?

No thanks it’s fine. I’ll just continue reading for now

1 Like

Spoilers:

Ahkmou shows up again and causes havoc wherever he goes (MNOG for example)

Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t there some kind of game or stadium named or based on in honor/remembrance of a Matoran that (if I’m remembering correctly) was obliterated to death and hence could not get revived on the Red Star?

Edit: Yup, my memory mostly served me right. The Matoran in question was Kodan who was killed by Eliminator’s lightning blasts. However, a game or stadium wasn’t ever named after him. Instead, he was credited for creating Akilini, which was Metru Nui’s sport, and had a monument made for him so that he could’ve been credited for so. Also something else I forgot was that Onewa named the ball made out of Pohatu Nuva’s claws after him.

1 Like