Did anyone know this about Okoto?

I have an old Lego Club magazine, and in it it says, “Ekimu and Makuta used the natural elemental forces of the island to forge masks for the protectors The villagers used their masks or shape tge island to suit their needs.
So, the protector masks had powers? And the villagers used them to build Okoto? I’ve never that bit before.

3 Likes

Yes, this was an established fact. Ekimu gives the Protectors new elemental masks in the second G2 graphic novel, and references them as being “more powerful” than their old masks. So the Protectors having elemental powers is well-known.

As to the extent of how they built Okoto, I don’t believe that was elaborated upon very much, but I think it was probably in terms of building villages and things.

4 Likes

Alright, I’d never heard it before and felt it was worth sharing.

That’s cool! It’s always good to bring up something you didn’t know! There’s always the possibility that others also didn’t know it, and that they do now as well!

Plus, the G2 media was notoriously messy, so various facts were said in various places that weren’t said everywhere. I think one Lego Club Magazine even called the Okotans “Matoran” once…interesting, isn’t it?

3 Likes

Yeah, I really need to read up on G2’s extended lore. And I wasn’t upset, I’m fine getting corrected on any info I didn’t know.

Doesn’t this also imply that the villagers are more powerful than the toa? Seeing that, assuming I’m reading this correctly, any villagers that happen to be wearing a mask, is capable of shaping the very island itself as they please, and the toa where only capable of rather limited and basic elemental bending, until after they got their more powerful uniter forms.

3 Likes

Sounds about right.

With this little piece of information, there is no reason that any of the villagers should ever be in any kind of danger, since the common population, is more powerful than the god like heroes of legend.

3 Likes

Just more proof that G2 wasn’t thought out.

3 Likes

Wait, so if the whole Makuta Mask Of Ultimate Power explosion changed the terrain and biomes of Okoto to the regions we see today, couldn’t the Villagers have just used their masks to fix the island and make it the way it was before? Why adapt to the new regions and elements when you can just “shape the island to suit your needs”?

3 Likes

Heck, why did the ancient city ever fall? First off all, they could just use their everything bending powers to easily deal with the very nonthreatening and admittedly useless skull spiders, and any damage they did could just be magiced back up.

5 Likes

This one ability literally makes the entire “prophecy of the Toa” useless and pointless.

3 Likes

Fify.

3 Likes

Personally, and in the Bionicle Legacy Project’s opinion (before that collapsed), the masks that the villagers wear allow minor personal augmentation (boosting strength, speed, endurance, etc) but they can’t do overtly supernatural things by themselves. Now, if they combine their powers, then they can do more impressive stuff, like hypothetically having the entire fire tribe combining their powers to raise a city out of a volcano.

5 Likes

Combining powers does make more sense than every individual having amazing powers. And if the villagers do have to combine powers then it would actually make the Skull Spiders useful as they are capturing the villagers and preventing them from combining powers. This is all just speculation though.

4 Likes

To be perfectly honest, before now, I always thought G2 was okay. Sub par at worst. The sets where pretty good at the story was meh, but not terrible. After this little revelation, I’m very upset at the lack of care, the level of incompetence, and the out right fact that they managed to over look this!

3 Likes

Maybe it meant that the masks gave the villagers powers to create materials, or maybe it just made them smarter, allowing them to build more advanced structures

4 Likes

The first one doesn’t really help at all, and if they really meant the 2nd one, then they utterly failed at saying so, because that isn’t remotly what this sounds like.

2 Likes

This opens interesting posiblities. According to rest of the official story, Makuta attempted to create masks that villagers can use shortly before his betrayal. This implies that these masks did not exist at the time.But if we follow the quote, these masks were existent back then. As others pointed out, the quote seems to conflict even with post-betrayal story. But quote does not say that the villagers had the powered masks after the betrayal.

To find a solution, let return to G1. Before the great cataclysm, Matoran lived in the city of Metru Nui at high level of advancement. When the dark spirit Makuta betrayed Mata Nui, city’s inhabitants, the Matoran, were locked into Matoran spheres. They grew smaller and weaker, losing memories of the city. Metru Nui’s protectors, Toa Metru, managed to resuce the sleeping Matoran and carried them to safety. There, they awakened them, becoming Turaga in process.

Then, we have Ultimate Mask. In G2, Makuta turned mad by creating a mask imbued with all of elements. It seemed like something possessed him. But why this happened? In G1, six Toa of different elements could create Toa Seal. To be broken, the Toa had to apply their powers back into the seal. In G2, the Toa are personifications of their elements.

My theory is as follows.

In the time before the time, the Mask Makers have crafted powerful masks for inhabitants of the island. Six heroes called Toa protected them with powers over the elements, earning them name protectors.

But all was not well.Ekimu was more skilled crafter of two. Makuta too wanted to make good masks, and so imbued one with power over six elements. He did not know that this would cause a great cataclysm…

Long ago, a spirit of destruction dwelt on Okoto. Six heroes called Toa came to the stars to defeat him. They managed to seal him under the Capital of Okoto, and returned to the stars. In newfound times of prosperity, Mask Makers imbued six Okotans with powers of the elements, creating a new generation of Toa.

When Makuta donned Ultimate Mask in the Capital City, he accidentaly unleashed the spirit sealed here by his inexperience. Fusing with Makuta, the ancient shade began to crack open the island. Ekimu fought with possessed body of his brother, managing to knock the mask off his face. Resulting shockwave knocked out both brothers, sent the ancient city and Makuta’s spirit in the shadow realm, and reshaped the island.

The Great Cataclysm weakened the Okotans, causing them to lose their mask powers and memories. The Toa sacrified their powers to awake Okotans, becoming the protectors.

2 Likes

No I did not. Seems pretty important though and another example of g2s shameful failure

1 Like