Dividing by Zero

My think is clogged…

2 Likes

I want to do that

2 Likes

To divide by zero, you first have to figure out how much of nothing can fit into something, which I think you’d be hard pressed to do.

1 Like

you can’t fit nothing is something because its non-existant.
But, you have someting left over because you didn’t use it, so the awnser is 0 remainder whatever the number you divided 0 by.

1 Like

You’re right about the first part, but saying that you can’t perform the operation doesn’t mean that you get to perform the operation. If you don’t divide, you can’t get a remainder.

2 Likes

I’m going to offer something that could aid this conversation. You could say that 0 can go into X infinity times. Infinite numbers do exist in math in the form of numbers such as 3.3333… This number is constantly growing everytime you add another 3. If you were to multiply by 3.3333… you would never have an answer.

1 Like

But you have a number to divide by. Let’s say I have 8 slices of pizza, and you need to put them in no groups. When you do that, you don’t do anything but there are still slices left. Those slices are the remainder because it is what is REMAINING once you divided.

1 Like

Ok let’s run with that.

You propose that 8/0 = 8. Simple algebra states that we can multiply both sides of an equation by the same number and retain the equality of the statement. So, let’s eliminate the fraction 8/0 by multiplying by 0 (1/2 * 2 = 1, 5/8 * 8 = 5, etc). Since we did it to the left side of the equation, we must do it the the right side, multiplying the 8 by 0 = 0. This leaves us with the equation 8 = 0.

Go figure.

3 Likes

My brain hurts now. But you have a point, and I’m sure you’re right. Anyone else have ideas of how to divide by 0?

2 Likes

Let me preface this by saying that math was never my strongest subject, so you probably shouldn’t quote me on any of this.

Well, there’s always the good old 0÷0. According to the rules of math, any number divided by itself should equal 1 (2÷2=1, 3÷3=1, etc.). This would mean that 0÷0=1.

For example, let’s say we’re trying to divide zero slices of pizza into zero groups. If 0÷0=1, we should somehow end up with one slice of pizza (which breaks the law of the conservation of matter, since we managed to create something out of literally nothing). At least we discovered how to end world hunger while breaking the laws of physics :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Welcome to one of the great paradoxes of math :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

But you 0/0 is’t 1 because the quotient of a division problem needs to be bigger than the dividend which is 0, and 0 is smaller than 1. 0/0 is 0 because the dividend is 0 so that means that the awnser is 0 because if you don’t have anything than you can’t have anything when you divide.

1 Like

Again, it’s a paradox. Two different rules that are (almost) universally true are in conflict. A number divided by itself must be 1, and 0 divided by any number must be 0, so what is 0 over 0?

also, a dividend, as far as I am aware, is the amount you want to divide up, not the amount you are dividing by.

In Chen’s example, the quotient (1) is larger than the dividend (0)

1 Like

That wouldn’t be true though, right? 10 divided by 1/2 is 20.

Congratulations, you just revealed my Lego Gallery nickname to everyone on TTV :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

You’re welcome :wink:

1 Like

yeah, I guess so.

1 Like

In practical math, that would be infinity. Because it’s nothing there is no limit to how much you can fit into an object

You mean in practical life. the video explores what happens when you set x/0 to infinity.

The definition of practical math is how math is applied to life

1 Like