DIY projects

My apologies if there’s already something like this, but this should be interesting. Anything from staining a wood chair (or in my case, snare drum), to building a costume piece when purchasing is too expensive

I’m currently staining my snare drum as you could possibly gather. Didn’t Goo Gone the glue holding the wrap on enough so a little wood peeled, meaning it’s sanding time

1 Like

I love diy! Tomorrow or monday I’ll post some of the
Stuff I’ve made.
For the most part I make masks and helmets or props with cardboard as the main material and they turn out pretty good

1 Like

Not sure if I like DIY as a concept to save money as much as it allowing me to make things nobody else has. Right now I’m thinking about some 4 foot tall bookcases with wheels and cabinet doors to replace the totes I have that are back-breaking to move. I’m also thinking about a trophy case as well.

I also do sewing, if that counts. Quilts, bags, even made a measured pattern for a cloak, that sort of thing.

1 Like

did the staining and some wood burning. Currently doing polyurethane

I did these awhile ago but here are some projects:

Edit:
The bench chair was actually a restoration project, the cast iron sides were found in the forest and had to be cleaned up with anti rust stuff and have the still attached bolts taken off. The trade stores were all closed (lockdown) so some deck tread had to be ripped to size.

5 Likes

That’s a nice bench

I remembered I said this in june, well, today is still a Monday

So here is an invincible iron man, prime armor helmet, made with cardboard, paper mache, a lot of wewd filler and sanding, some sand paper and a THICC coat of gloss

4 Likes

the plan is to make a wood DM screen this break

1 Like

Yo heads up you just double posted.

I recently sanded paint off of one of my grandmother’s cabinets, I quite enjoyed it and I’m thinking about doing more projects similar.

E-e-enjoying s-sanding?! Impossible! This must be the work of an enemy stand!

Jokes aside, when sanding always wear a dust mask, you don’t want to breath any powder in (especially old paint, because it could have strange chemicals and stuff like lead).

3 Likes

Gunpla would like to have a word with you.

1 Like

gunplas are small. a small amount of sanding is enjoyable, almost relaxing, but a full cabinet is worst than taking a frickin’ 3kg hammer and starting to hit your fingers until they are a pulp and the bones that were in there become a fine spongy white dust. even something as small as this can be a pain.

4 Likes

You make it sound like I used a sanding sponge. HA THAT’S LAUGHABLE! I used one of the spinning sanders (I honestly don’t know what it’s called) to do the whole thing.

1 Like

whatever tool you use sanding is always boring

1 Like

Well my view on sanding that cabinet might be skewed because I was getting paid to do it in the first place

1 Like

Does this count?

Also, I’ve never had to sand a large object, but I used rotating sanders and manual sandpaper sheets in my Design & engineering class on small (only a few inches long) pieces of wood. Using the rotating sander was fun to me, since It gave off a cool breeze, and was just a really useful machine.

4 Likes

It’s perfect we must close the topic as there is nothing more we can contribute to outshine this.

there is nothing more satisfying than peeling solidified hot glue off when you mess it up and have to redo

5 Likes

First time on the boards in a while but I got the cigarette smell out of my car lol

6 Likes