Do MU inhabitants have fingers?

ThE TeChNic ConNecTor is SuS

2 Likes

Okay but hear me out
Chiara’s Toa tool is unknown.
What if it’s just a single large finger?

6 Likes

I’d prefer her dual wield two large fingers

2 Likes

MU beings definitely have fingers, but the number varies wildly. Artakha has five, while Glatorians and Agori have four. McToran possess three, and Lewa and his coke nails only have two. And apparently Chiara has one

What’s concerning about the no fingers argument is that if the sets are to be interpreted literally, gold good guy (whom Greg canonized as Turaga Lhikan) doesn’t even have a right hand!

2 Likes

I’m on the no-fingers side purely because it’s fun to tell people about it. For one, I fail to understand how Axonn and Brutaka having fingers invalidates the argument. Clearly what he is saying that all MU beings lack fingers except the ones depicted in sets to have them. It’s pretty simple. Also, the Stars are in a canonical grey area - some parts are canon, some aren’t. It’s very simple to say that their fingers are not, in the case of Tahu, Takanuva, Nektann, and the Rahkshi of Heat Vision.

It’s also very simple - and a bit more logical - to say the fingers are canon. Also, Tahu Mata either had fingers or two prongs coming out of his hand for literally no reason at all.

Going the route of no fingers, there’s a lot of design elements I had previously mentioned that become extremely awkward if they don’t represent fingers, like 2/3 of the Toa Mata, all Tohunga, Teridax, Ultimate Dume, Gadunka, and many others - and if the Mata have fingers and the Nuva don’t, then you have an even greater difficulty on your hands, because now energized protodermis takes fingers.

Clearly what he is saying is that MU residents don’t have fingers and then getting annoyed when someone says they clearly do. This was 2015 Greg, who seems to forget he wrote Chiara and Mutran specifically having fingers and implying the existence of such every time he wrote a character making a fist, because that requires fingers, too.

Which reminds me, the Toa Mata/Nuva bumped fists often. Lesovikk’s team is stated to have been bumping fists in Lesovikk’s illusion. Guess they have fingers, then.

4 Likes

I’ve always thought that they have hands, and that this piece:
is just the standard hand that everyone who has one just has a ‘normal’ hand, whereas people who have some claw/sharp pointy pieces attached to it will just have those as fingers but if your cool like hydraxon he just has slightly bulkier fingers and if they have the spike piece on the end they’ll just be spiky fingers

I hope you could understand this awful sentence that my last two brain cell put together

5 Likes

Their fingers are usually invisible
When filming a movie or if Lego wants, they are colored

1 Like

They represent fingers.

That’s not that weird. It takes and grants powers. Why not fingers?

The written story materials are set in the movie universe, where they do have fingers

You don’t need fingers to fist-clank, you can just smash your magnetic fingerless plates together

Except it doesn’t take powers. It either grants powers or takes lives, depending on whether or not the user is destined to transform. The only time I can think of it taking powers is transforming the golden kanohi of the Mata into kanohi nuva, but the kanohi isn’t part of the body.

Except that’s the universe Greg is referring to in all of the novelizations, Ask Greg Q&A, and everything ever produced under the LEGO banner. He’s saying that universe doesn’t have fingers when it clearly does, the one he’s written for for almost a decade.

And if he’s talking about something entirely different… What exactly is it? Has he ever written for it?

It’s impossible to ball a fingerless human hand; there’s no joint in the middle of the bones. If somehow the argument is made that the Toa do possess such an absurd joint to allow them to, it’s basically a mitten, which accomplished the same purpose as fingers, so they may as well have them.

The sets’ universe.

Okay, fine, but it does transform people. Why can’t it remove someone’s fingers?

It’s localization for readers who have fingers

2 Likes

You mean the one that Greg wrote about? Because that’s the one he wrote about.

How do we know it does?

And namely, how come it would only remove the fingers of MU inhabitants? All of the Glatorian have fingers. If the Nuva are fingerless, they’re an incredibly bizarre addendum to the properties of energized protodermis, namely that they were destined to lose their fingers.

4 Likes

He says he wrote about the movie universe

Because it happened. Tahu Mata went into the EP with fingers, and came out without them.

Which was based on the sets and shared the exact same lore, and only has a distinction here to prove that Tahu doesn’t have fingers. If there is a sets universe outside of the novels, we have no idea what it looks like because there’s never been anything outside of LEGO magazine ads written for it, because everything used to describe the lore of the sets in adverts comes from the novels.

This’ll just keep circling indefinitely.

FTFY.

Seeing as how you still need fists to fistbump, which requires fingers, and the Toa Nuva did that, they therefore have fingers. It’s not illogical to therefore assume any other set with that type of hand also has fingers even if they aren’t literally molded into the piece.

I think things have been extrapolated enough that any further argument in favor of fingerless Toa is going to border on ridiculousness.

1 Like

For the sake of argument (even though I agree with your overall point that they have finger) I don’t think you need fingers to have a “fist”. I think, if there were a fictional species that had a big lump of flesh/metal that they could hit things with, it would still be called a fist, at least when it’s being used for fist things.

Like, if a digitless creature punched me, I’d say “it punched me with it’s right fist.” If two of said species bumped their hands, I would call it a fist bump. (Because calling it a hand bump just sounds weird and doesn’t really convey what they did)

6 Likes

This is what I was getting at when I said it was localization. What’s easier to write - “they smashed their two fingerless metal plates together, similar to how we might fist bump”, or “they fist bumped”?

4 Likes

Yeah I work with people who will have fingers amputations or congenital defects as to where they don’t have fingers. I can guarantee they’d still prefer the term fist bump, as thats what we primarily do since they can’t shake hands/high five

2 Likes

you mean they dont do a “high three and a half if you calculate the average” instead?

1 Like

Technically you are correct. Don’t get used to it I’M the one who’s always right All you need are knuckles.

That, however, falls apart when - if we assume the Nuva lost their fingers in elemental protodermis transformation somehow given that the Mata forms definitely had inarticulate fingers - they used to have fingers. Is it still a fist if it no longer has any gross motor capabilities of balling the hand up?

People who do not possess fingers (human people not broccoli people) still possess tendons, bones, joints where the base of the finger meets the bones of the hand (knuckles) and a dedicated set of thumb muscles, tendons, and bones (unless mirrored hand syndrome). So they are still capable of performing the muscular motion necessary to “double the fingers into the palm and double the thumb inward across the fingers” even if there’s no fingers or thumb to double.

If your hand is completely reconstructed by energized protodermis to lose fingers, knuckles, and the like… Can you fistbump? You can perform the motion, but if you try to fistbump without performing the muscular motions necessary to do so, you’re going to end up with a very sloppy fistbump. Trust me I speak from experience

I mean that’s what I do but I can’t speak for a fictional species of power ranger muscle robots

3 Likes

this is abuse of the <small> tag

2 Likes