Do MU inhabitants have fingers?

club-penguin-propeller-hat

5 Likes

This conversation here, from all the way back in 2004, actually suggests that fingers on the characters in the movies could be artistic license:

The most conclusive answer that I can think of would be to refer to this quote:

I don’t regard them as more accurate or less accurate, simply as different artistic interpretations of the characters. The movie version is the movie version, the toy version is the toy version, but same characters.

Just as it is equally canon that Tahu has pink eyes (set) or yellow/orange eyes (movie), it seems that it is equally canon that some characters do or do not have fingers.

1 Like

like I said, yesn’t

2 Likes

All movies have fingers so yes

Except that’s not how the canon hierarchy works. The books supercede everything else in terms of a conflict of information, whether it be the color of eyes or the existence of fingers. Greg has made it very clear in the past that the physical set version of a given character determines its appearance in the books, and the films are based off the existing story. Ergo, Books > Sets > Movies > Word of Greg.

In the books Mutran is cited having at least one finger. In the sets Takanuva appears twice having what are quite obviously fingers. In the films, everybody has fingers. Even Pewku

No matter what angle you look at it from here, there’s no realistic basis for Greg’s statement that they do not possess fingers. Every time the set designers have been given the opportunity to represent digits on a given character’s hand, they have taken it. A good reason the Toa Nuva/Metru/Hordika/Ignika/Mahri/Phantoka do not have fingers was because the hand connector piece had become the defacto hand representation in sets, but in the first year the designers did represent hands - and fingers - in various ways.

Tahu, with one hand using two axles to represent two digits:

Lewa, with two axle connectors and grey pins to represent his freaky coke nails:

Any of the Tohunga existing at the time, which came with a three-fingered arm to hold and throw disks:

They’ve got fingers, guys. It’s just more convenient to make sets with wrist articulation.

There are a number of species which have been confirmed to have fingers by later sets which did not previously make their digits obvious. Skakdi have fingers according to 7137 Piraka’s Glatorian hand sculpt, as well as Toa, with Takanuva appearing as two separate sets with fingers (in one he even had articulated thumbs).

So it’s a matter of what holds precedence here: Greg saying that MU beings don’t have fingers as long as he only looks at his copy of 8732 Matoro and not 8734 Brutaka and refuses to comment on 8734 Brutaka in any way, shape, or form, or… Literally everything else.

4 Likes

wow who knew that fingers would be such a controversial topic in the MU

3 Likes

technically heyzorks started it

that’s right, I’m pointing fingers

10 Likes

ok but if the movies beat the word of greg and the order is decided by the word of greg how does that work?

you’re pointing WHAT?

3 Likes

that’s not even funny

3 Likes

It’s set up this way to stop Greg from changing an important detail or element of canon previously established a different way in the officially published books/serials. Like, y’know, all of your favorite Bionicle Toa heroes being fingerless this whole time.

Ask Greg topics allow clarification of existing points or details on areas not explored, like what color Nidhiki’s Toa form is or whether or not The Shadowed One is a mammal because he breathes air. Not to retroactively change elements previously established, hence the hierarchy. Greg’s reinforced this by repeatedly stating anything he said prior supersedes anything he said recently on a given topic.

I.E., if Mutran is stated as having a finger, and then Greg later says that none of them do and avoids the evidence otherwise, the original holds precedence.

1 Like

this is one of those instances where I just fall back on “all bionicle media is in a perpetual state of semi-canon”

4 Likes

A finger

3 Likes

I’m sorry but actually that hand has no fingers

2 Likes

Are you saying that you slot in weapons in your singular finger? Or is this a Power Puff Girls situation? :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

yes yes and yes

I don’t want to know what this is referencing

Although I think I have determined the purpose for that bump in the hand:

5 Likes

crewmate, there may or may not be fingers among us

2 Likes

When the digit is sus!!! AHhh Ding Ding DING

my two cents are that Bionicle has various media depictions, making it subjective regardless of the word of Greg. I say yes to fingers but not fully formed hands on all e.g. the McToran having 3 fingers and most beings only having 4 at max on a hand.

1 Like

ThE TeChNic ConNecTor is SuS

2 Likes