Do you see Toa Varian returning to play a role again in the events that are currently taking place at Spherus Magna?

I think she would.
We have:
Gelu, Zaria, Orde and Chiara on their search for the Great Beings while facing Kabrua and his pack.
Arthaka, Lewa, Tuyet, Helryx, Hafu, Kapura, The Cursed Great Being, Miserix and others trapped in Bota Magna.
The Toa Hagah still searching for the Toa Mahri who had long ago escaped the Golden-Skinned Being’s trance after battling Annona.
Kopaka, Pohatu and Mavrah surviving up in the Red Star after being stranded by Gaardus.
Onua, Gali and Tahu looking for the perfect spot for New Atero to be build on.
Who could probably cross paths with or being found by.

I’d give it to either, the Toa Hagah, Toa Mahri, or the Nuva Trio, as they’re all in a position to potentially cross paths with the Dark Hunters and, by extension, the comatose Varian, now obviously the Toa Hagah would be the most appropriate from a story standpoint, though the others could provide some interesting interactions.

2 Likes

well Norik is still alive, so she’d probably need him to get her up to speed on what’s happened in the universe

2 Likes

She’d probably meet up and team up with the Hagah. She was abandoned in Odina, it’s not long until she’s found.

3 Likes

I hope Varian entries for her contest use Pearl Gold to sort of fit with the Toa Hagah since they all have unique metallic colors of their own.

3 Likes

Good idea

2 Likes

I do think that she would be pretty useful in their search, so why not.

1 Like

I like to think that somewhere down the line, SOMEONE will rescue her. Prolonged exposure to stasis has a tendency to cause amnesia, so I wonder if she’ll remember her life before her imprisonment.

3 Likes

That is a great point, and makes me wonder why exactly that is. With the Metru-Nui Matoran I’m pretty sure it was said Teridax tampered with the spheres so they would induce amnesia, but I must wonder why it also occurred to the Toa Mata? a byproduct of their bodies breaking down perhaps?

3 Likes

My theory is…
The Shadowed One will take advantage of the fact that Varian can’t remember anything from her past so she can be mislead into becoming a loyal Dark Hunter within New Atero, for one day take control over it with great ease. (Just like Ahkmou did back in Mata Nui by infecting most of the Po-Matoran as commanded by Teridax)
Norik will be glad in seeing her, but wouldn’t know she’s a double agent taking vital information from him and others UNTIL one day after finding out what she was truly doing, he’s left with no choice but to take the traitorous Toa down while battling confusion as to why she’s acting this way.

2 Likes

Personally I would like it if the sight of Norik triggered old memories that would make her doubt her place as a Dark Hunter.

2 Likes

How do we know this?

The Matoran Spheres caused amnesia, but that was a specific function of their design, not a side effect of stasis in general. I can’t think of any other cases of stasis-induced amnesia in the story.

2 Likes

She would go through the anti-hero path for a side character development arc with Norik and others close to her. Varian would be something like Nebula, alternate Gamora, Black Widow or anyone else of that nature from the Marvel comics.
Fighting and stealing for her own benefit due to her distrust on everyone.

2 Likes

Yes exactly

1 Like

The Toa Mata lost their memories as a result of being kept in stasis within Toa Canisters.

1 Like

Did Greg ever say if he had intention to bring her back in the serials?

She wasn’t mentioned again, if i remember correctly, after 2010’s last Fanon Serial known as No One Gets Left Behind.

But i feel Varian has potential.
She could wake up with not a single trace of her memories as The Shadowed One takes advantage of this by misleading the Toa of Psionics into becoming a loyal Dark Hunter within New Atero walls.
While taking vital information from Norik and others, her old friend would find out and try to take the double-agent down in a cool fight scene as he also fights confusion for this strange behaviour.
This would be a character development arc for Varian, Norik and perhaps the whole Toa Hagah team.

1 Like