Does anyone know who created Voriki?

So, for a bit of context, I’m currently taking a documentary filmmaking class at my college. For my end-of-semester project, I want to make a documentary about Voriki. There’s a million reasons why, but for the most part it just boils down to how fascinating it is that he’s maintained such popularity over the course of 20 years, and how that reflects on both the Bionicle fandom and online fandoms as a whole.

The problem is, if I’m going to make a documentary like this, it’s obviously pretty important to know where this thing came from. And unfortunately, no one seems to know who created Voriki.

The original BZP posts were lost years ago. Know Your Meme doesn’t know. The archived version of the Voriki website doesn’t mention a creator or have any contact information. And for some reason, the Bionicle fandom wiki treats him like he’s canon.

I’ve asked this question on Twitter, on Reddit, and on BZP. I’ve even messaged one or two of the people that were actually active in the community when the “leak” first appeared. And the only thing I’ve found is that the creator might have been named “TRS_Bricks” thanks to a random link in a corner of the Voriki site.

So, I’m asking here, too. Does anyone have any idea who originally created the Voriki hoax? Does anyone have a screenshot or an archived version of the original posts? And is there any way to contact the creator? If at all possible, I’d love to interview them! But honestly, at this point I’d just be happy with knowing their username.

Any help that anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

8 Likes

I remember hearing in a video essay that Voriki first surfaced on a Russian fan site. I know it’s not much but that’s what I’ve heard. Then again maybe that site you mention is the one?

I do not know my way around the wayback machine but maybe searching keywords in there might help?

2 Likes

The website I found through Wayback, and the one commonly cited as “Voriki’s website” isn’t in Russian, so maybe there’s a different website out there that’s the true origin of the character! Thank you so much, I’ll see if I can find anything!

1 Like

I thought he was summoned by Nobua :thinking:

1 Like

i should research that.

2 Likes