DUNE (2021)

Yeah, I dunno about anyone else, but the tech in the move - the ornithopters, the spice miners, even the shields and weapons - were portrayed disturbingly exactly how I imagined them when reading the book.

8 Likes

Well, that’s what I heard some other people say too. I’m not sure how I feel about visuals in this year’s adaptation, it feels kinda bleak and, hmm, typical? I’d imagine a more unique aesthetic, but it just looks fairly standard. I feel like old movie had more individuality to it.

1 Like

Except Dune doesn’t really have those cliches. The chosen one cliche is all about the hero accepting that he has been chosen by fate, or what have you, to save the day. Paul wasn’t specifically chosen for anything. The Kwistatz Haderach is an artificial creation of The Bene Gesserit to create a human capable of prescience. There is no inherit guarantee of moral success or defeating the bad guy as is the case with “The Chosen One”. Dune’s story acts as a warning of fanatic devotion to a person or cause for any reason. Paul sees visions of the terror and bloodshed his worshipers will cause. His survival on Dune could mean the destruction of countless lives, and this isn’t something he’s just ok with. To compare this to the Chosen One archetype is inaccurate. Dune is much closer to a criticism of that archetype.

5 Likes

But he follows through anyway and fulfils his role in the visions despite not being ok with it. It’s not significantly different from Chosen One cliche in terms of narrative structure. There is a clear goal set quite early on by visions and the trial Paul undergoes, it may not be fate related, but it’s the same type of plot device that serves to indicate that the character is born special. Not necessarily a bad thing to have readers suspect that the character is special, but it’s more of a case of how complex and unique his path will be to defy that cliche and how significant is the input of all other characters into the grand scheme of things, most Importantly whether, or not there is a change in the goal itself. Though I have to admit it’s done with enough nuances to be intriguing, the outcome is not particularly unique. As with a lot of books first half of the story is more interesting than the later half.

1 Like

Have you read the books? Genuinely curious, as that changes perspective

2 Likes

Yep. When I ask people “HavE YoU rEaD tHe BoOk?” it sounds elitist, but it genuinely does change your perception.

4 Likes

I did

Have you read the sequels? Because in those, the story really smashed the whole “Chosen One” cliche to bits.

2 Likes

on a necroposting streak I see

4 Likes

Yes, because no one’s making new topics.

2 Likes

There is no topic for Dune Part Two, so I guess I’ll put this here because I really want to express my thoughts on this film, but I don’t think it’s worth it creating a separate topic for it because this entire category is dead anyways…

Just returned home from watching it in cinema and man what an experience it was. Clearly, these movies are meant to be watched in IMAX, it elevates the experience significantly.

Both the sound design and the cinematography are incredible as always. Everything seems so big and grand, even the scenes that were filmed in relatively small spaces. I think this is the first time I’ve seen a movie convey scale so incredibly well since the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and those films came out twenty five years ago.

It’s really hard to describe the story as it’s just a part of the entire overarching narrative and thus incomplete, but what is already there of it is great.

It’s just such a stunning piece all around

And I just don’t understand those who say that Dune is a boring movie. I really don’t get this notion that any piece of media should constantly bombard you with entertainment without giving the stories any time to breathe. Dune is all about these stunning, long, drawn out scenes. Without them it simply wouldn’t be Dune. I think that its unhurriedness is what makes it so special, elevating it from just another movie to an entire experience. It’s a great breath of fresh air in this oversaturated attention-craving industry where everything needs to be as efficient as possible at grabbing the attention of the audiences. Personally I think it’s great to see something more artistic and unique that isn’t afraid of taking its sweet time telling a story.

Also, I’m just a huge fan of the visual style they created for this story. It’s this brand of sci-fi that I’ve never quite seen before and it’s so stunning to look at (instead of the goofy-looking cheap Star Wars ripoff that was the original Dune film from way back then). Every transport, every costume, every location, every piece of sci-if tech are a joy to look at for an artist like myself, so I’m glad that they actually give you the time to admire them instead of rushing through everything at break-neck speed.

Also, I finally caved in, and now I’m certainly getting that Lego ornithopter with a bunch of parts from bricklink to replace all the red, yellow, white and light grey technic :smirk:. I’ve seen reviews of it and it seems to be the most impressively engineered Lego kit, ever.

9 Likes

I agree very much here. I think that this is what many current movies lack: the space for people to experience the world of the movie, rather than spectate the action of a dramatic battle. A good way this was done in Dune Part two was the part where Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen was introduced, where the entire scene was filmed in black-and-white, with the viewer literally spectating a gladiator match. It felt much more immersive than, say, the gladiator matches in Thor: Ragnarok, where the viewers have a more in-person view of the action and characters.

5 Likes