Eljay's AMA

Eljay, what is your opinion on Electronic Arts (EA)?

All I see is the image used when ezimba takes an image down after 90 days.

Not a fan of them, really. None of their games appeal to me all that much.

(Except Bionicle: The Game).

1 Like

Eljay, what is involved in the process of irrigation? I’m legitimately curious, having never had any experience in that particular field.

1 Like

Eljay, were you born with that mask on your face? Does your family even KNOW you have a face?

1 Like

Oh! So that’s why it’s before all of your “Much Better” posts are! Thanks! :smiley:

hay eljay can you see if you can get one of my new mocs on mocspotlight

I believe that’s Venn’s job, and you can’t really request a MOC to be on there! The point is to showcase a great MOC caught his attention! :confused:

The irrigation that I did was essentially to put massive amounts of water onto around 40 acres of plants, standard hay and alfalfa. How we went about doing this varied depending on pipe type, however the general idea remained the same. Regardless of the type, you had to hook up the pipes to a valve which controlled the flow of the water, which was connected to an underground pipe system which connected to a water pump down the street. My job was to rotate which length of pipe would have water going through it at any given moment. Throughout the day I would have to switch water to different pipes to cover a different portion of the two fields. I’ll go ahead and explain the differences between the pipes and what problems each caused.

I only really focused on handling two types of pipelines, so I can only speak from the experience of those two types.

The first one would be 3 acres of pipes that were on the ground and immobile. These pipes would connect directly into the control valve. On this field (which was the standard hay), there were six pipelines of varying lengths due to the odd shape of the field. This type of pipeline was arguably the more annoying of the two because the field was often the home of cows, usually between 3 and 16 at any time. Because of this, the cows would walk over the pipes lying on the ground and unhook them. On these pipes, they were connected by hooks going one direction, and the pressure of the water (which was immense) would lock them fully into place. However, they would be shaken loose by the cows knocking up against them. This was horribly frustrating because we’d then have to unhook one section of the pipes and work our way up or down in order to fit them back into place. Depending on the pipeline(s), this could take easily an hour or more. I tried looking for a picture online of these pipes but I couldn’t find a good one, so here is one I have with our German Shepard. The tires are at the base of the risers (the pipes with sprinklers on top) to assist with balance and the unhooking/rehooking of the lines.

The second kind of pipe I worked with were the wheeled lines. These were thicker pipes that ran through large metal wheels. We had three that expanded over around 36 or so acres of alfalfa. While I’d take these over ground lines any day, they were still annoying. Aside from size, they connected via a long rubber hose which connected to the valve. They were also moved thanks to a powerful motor in the approximate middle of the lines. These lines also had a lot of issues. For starters, they had to be moved to the next valve every 12 to 24 hours, most normally being moved every 24. This means going out in the morning, driving down to the pump and shutting it off, disconnected each of the valves (because there were only three actually switches over an approximate 12 - 14 or so valve openings) as well as disconnect every hose, then wait around 15 - 30 minutes for all three lines to drain so they don’t drag and break, and then drive to each motor engine, try starting them, and move them the direction you want about… 50 or so feet? Never really counted. Rinse and repeat until all three are moved to the next valve, then reconnect them, restart the pump, and slowly start each and every individual line. Then, you’d need to travel up and down the lines and poke the sprinkler heads because they’d occasionally get clogged with sticks, mud, or wasps. That’d take around another 15 - 30 minutes, sometimes longer if it’s especially bad. Then you’d do the same thing 24 hours later. Here’s a picture from Wikipedia that shows what the lines looked like.

And that’s if everything goes right. And I mean absolutely perfectly. Occasionally, you’ll encounter issues such as the water pressure suddenly vanishing, meaning you’ll have water, but there might be a broken pipe or an issue with the pump. Or one of the engines won’t work and you can’t move one of the lines. Or a pipe actually broke. That’s the worst, because then you’re out of commission on that line for a while, and a pipe fix is $100 per pipe. Any of these issues might cause a delay of a few hours, or even a few days.

Toward the end, I managed to get it down to a science. I eventually out-did my younger brother and our landlord at being the best at irrigation due to how much time I spent on it and how efficiently I was able to be. I held the record for getting it done in the shortest amount of time for both types (around an hour for the wheeled lines and around 30 minutes for the ground lines) and cause the least amount of breaks in pipelines.

And again, this is all the best case scenario. Sometimes the weather is pretty bad. It’s worst dealing with irrigation when it’s cold, because you’re dealing with water. You’ll get sunburned during summer and the metal pipes will burn your hands, but at least it’s better than the cold. Sometimes you’ll have mechanical malfunctions, and even sometimes having the neighbors threaten to call the cops on you. For unintentionally watering their really cruddy mailbox.

Yeah. That was fun.

I’m leaving out a lot of details, but that’s the gist of it. If I can clear anything up, please lemme know.

1. Maybe.
  2. See #1.

@Lord_Tuma hit the nail on the head. Sorry. =P

10 Likes

k ill just keep adding to my gen 2 rakish moc

lj do you prefer a gold miru or a green miru

Edited for Double Post - Waj
Please read this, thanks :smile:.

Would you be for or against G1 and G2 merging in the future?

Green is my favorite color, but I wear a gold one. I’ll go with gold.

Against. Am I against them being connected? No. However I am certainly opposed to them occupying the same universe/space.

2 Likes

Aside from the Miru what masks are your favorite (one for looks and one for power)

So, I thought of a cool idea for my 5th TTV Poster-thingo, basing it off of Halo 5, but I think I might need to ask about it first. Would TTV 5: Solekians be within the Solek joke rules thing?

1 Like

I think as long as it’s done well it’ll be fine
The cast members seem to only hate solek spam

It will be, all of my TTV poster thingies are done seriously.

But it’s still the Solek Joke. I think it’d be okay, but I need to be sure.

G1 Kakama Mata.

Asked everyone (the other hosts) in call regarding it, and we feel it would. Sorry.

2 Likes

Kakama for looks and power?

Hey Elj, I was just watching some of the latest recent reviews and noticed some aspects of them which could be useful in your recaps. I am referring to the disclaimer being on the screen in text and the sets being displayed on that turntable. Will you ever consider using these in your recaps?

Okay.

It’s fine. I’m sure I could always do the Pixar movie idea…

1 Like

Have you ever been burgled? If so, can you say what was stolen?