Empress of the Depths (Toa Tuyet v2.0) - Canon Contest Entry

I really like the overall look of this design. The way the shin and calf armor pieces blend in her front-facing picture is also pretty neat. I think you managed to build a convincing approximation of the Metru profile while maintaining Inika-style articulation. The MOC has me almost totally sold except for one thing – the Rahkshi heads kind of distract for me. I would personally go for a more traditional foot design or a dedicated foot piece, but that’s personal preference.

2 Likes

Are you concerned about stability? From what I can see, the waist is only attached by a single pin, which would allow a fair bit of wobble.

Also:

I think this picture is wrong. Every other shot has the 3L liftarm attached by the middle hole, rather than the end hole.

1 Like

Thanks! I tried really hard to give her a unique look from the other Tuyet MOCs I’ve seen around. The articulation was one of my top priorities so I’m happy to hear it succeeded!

I originally went for the Metru Feet, but decided I didn’t need more painted pieces on the build. Next I tried Mata to fit it into the Nuva meets Metru look but it was too square for me. Ultimately the Rahkshi head looked the best and conveyed her evilness without the spikes and Gunmetal. Here’s the original foot I made, but gave to Naho:

(Oh and on the Metru Blue version, the Bohrok Eye was the painted piece)

From the physical version I tested on, the body seems to hold up really well, with slight wobbliness happening. I actually modified my original design to include this feature, as not having an easy way to remove the waist would’ve killed it for most people. I also Included the Pin-Axle piece fix I found as a way to mount it better for people who don’t care about the removable waist or heartlight.

If anyone want’s to test it for themselves, I could always use another check to make sure I’m not missing something. Like my revamped Nidhiki looked fine until I test-built him, where he proceeded to have his sides turn into a Tu-Tu.

Oh crud. Yeah that’s not how it’s supposed to sit. I’ll update that ASAP!

Also for anyone wanting to know, I’m currently thinking of replacing the old Tuyet pics with the New Mata Blue one, as the color scheme fits my vision of her more. There is currently 3 pieces that would need to be painted on the other color scheme, outside the Mask. If I choose it, hopefully that’s not a deal breaker for a lot of people.

2 Likes

With the increasing availability of printed parts (at minimum, the ability to buy them), I wouldn’t mind at all. It’s not like I own most official sets anyway; my chances of creating one of these MOCs is low.

2 Likes

I’m hesitant to use painted or 3D printed pieces, as I like to stick to currently existing pieces. Stuff that would’ve existed during the time said character was introduced/in story. I’ll give it some thought today, but right now I’m leaning towards the Metru Blue and Medium Blue, as it has a more cohesive look and doesn’t copy Lhikan’s armor placement, making her look more like a member who just joined, rather than part of his team originally.

As for the BB, I’m sticking to all Grey/Gunmetal, as I couldn’t find a reference to a half organic-half protosteel weapon, besides the Spear of Fusion. So I’m sticking with the idea that it’s was her Matoran tool before her transformation, which is why she keeps it as a Toa.

2 Likes

I should clarify, I’m talking about 3D printed replicas of pieces that existed at the time, that way I don’t have to paint original LEGO pieces that are getting rarer every day.

3 Likes

Yeah no worries, I do agree that those 3D printed pieces really do help as I don’t like damaging pieces either. I’m just not a fan of using pieces in colors that they don’t exist, as it then requires people to either paint their limited pieces or buy/make a 3D printed part.

Like for example, my version of Nidhiki. No matter what, I have to paint 3 pieces due to each of them being an integral part of his description.
(Green mask, chestpiece and Rahkshi head for broken shoulder) With Tuyet, this is a situation of me weighing whether or not she needs extra paint, as it’s never specifically said or implied the piece need to be that shade of blue.

I’m also considering doing a Poll, that way people could decide which they like better.

2 Likes

UPDATE:
I decided to go with the Poll. It’ll be open till Saturday so vote while you can!

Which color scheme for Tuyet do you prefer?

• Metru Blue with Medium Blue
  • Mata Blue with Metru Blue

0 voters

2 Likes

Med blue comes across as a much more serious character overall. Mata blue looks more like a set/toy, however, so it does depend on what you’re going for.

3 Likes

That’s one of the reasons I want it to be a vote actually, as I couldn’t decide between the toy look or the serious look.

The good news though is whatever color scheme loses will be reused for Naho, since my current version needs a lot of work

UPDATE: @TheJerminator you were 100% right about the wobble. I’m currently working on reinforcing the back of her so it’s almost gone. I’ll be posting the updated pics in the winning color on Sunday.

1 Like

UPDATE:
One day to go for the voting! Which ever version is chosen is gonna be the one entered, so if you like a color scheme I’d suggest voting for it to improve it’s chances of winning. To give you guys an update as well, here’s the Torso mod: (Shown in green and orange so the mod is easier to see)

Yeah it’s just 2 connector pieces swapped for the double sided ones. The only problem is they don’t come in Dark Blue, so they’re either Black or you can paint them to be Dark Blue. I’m choosing black to save on the amount of paint used. As for the wobble, it’s surprisingly strong, doesn’t wobble much and keeps the overall torso shape the same. (Double checked this IRL, so no mistakes this time)

Congratulations, the Mata Blue and Metru Blue color scheme has won! I will be updating the page over the next week to reflect this

1 Like

The shoulders feel very wide compared to the rest of the torso.

2 Likes

The good news is the new version actually solves this problem. I’ll be posting the new pics in a few days so stay tuned!

2 Likes

Right, I forgot you remade this.

I like the darker blue one better; I always imagined Naho as lighter blue and Tuyet as darker blue. so I hope we get a Toa Naho contest

3 Likes

No worries and as for the colors, I was split on either color since the darker color is more sinister but the lighter color gives more of a innocent hero look.
Though since the lighter color won, Naho is going to be Dark Blue, which I think works great with the Huna and sneaking past the DH background.
I really hope we get a Naho contest as well, though I’m in still in the early phases of her design. The only thing I have nailed down so far is the Shark shoes above and maybe a submarine (Smooth armor) or navel mine (Nuhvok Kal Shield armor) theming.

Now that the contests are over, I’ll be updating all of my pages overtime before I make any new builds. Here’s a few images to tide everyone over until I can finish the rest:

Amazing to think that The Tuyet on the Left was made to test out a color scheme, yet snowballed into this design you see today.
Alright, see you all next time!
Edit:(There are also more promo pic edits made and planned so stay tuned for different masks)

2 Likes

very funny

also very nice moc!

1 Like