Expectations - A G2 Short Story

This is a story idea I’ve had in my head for a few months now. It might be a bit too meta/on-the-nose for some but I thought, “eh, why not?”

EXPECTATIONS

Okoto, the Region of Stone

The sun had mercifully begun to set, but it did little to put Nilkuu at ease.

His canteen was empty. His throat was parched and dry. He could feel his forehead slick with sweat behind his mask. His legs were tired and sluggish, his feet dragging through the sands of the Okotan desert. With each step he took, he felt he was that much closer to collapsing to the ground and letting the Endless Dunes take him. Someone else would have to be Protector of Stone, because he was certainly not going to be in any position to protect anything if he carried on like this.

Unable to contain himself anymore, Nilkuu called out to the tall, brown-armored figure walking ahead of him. “Could we please stop for the night?”

Toa Pohatu, Master of Stone, stopped in his tracks to look back at him. “But we’re almost there,” he said. Nothing in his voice indicated that he noticed or cared about Nilkuu’s current predicament.

“We are seven days away from our destination and we have already been traveling for twice that amount,” Nilkuu said. “Besides, it’s getting dark. We should set up camp and get some rest before continuing.”

Pohatu looked back in the direction he had been walking, where there was nothing but endless desert. “But the mask—”

“The Golden Mask of Stone will still be there in the morning.”

Nilkuu dragged his way towards a spot where several boulders and rocks had been gathered in a circle. He had no idea who had gathered and placed these rocks in such a convenient position—perhaps previous brave travelers who had trekked through here—but he was not about to complain. Plopping himself down on one of the smaller boulders, he started piling up some of the smaller rocks to prepare a fire. Perhaps realizing it would be futile to change his mind, Pohatu reluctantly walked over to join and sat on a stone opposite of Nilkuu as the Protector of Stone rubbed two rocks together to spark a fire.

“It’s too bad Toa Tahu isn’t here with us,” Nilkuu said, hoping to make light conversation. “Perhaps then this would be a much quicker process.”

Pohatu said nothing, arms folded over his chest as he silently watched the Protector.

Once he had successfully created a small fire, Nilkuu pulled himself up higher onto his boulder and drew himself into a cross-legged position. He stared at the fire for a moment before looking up at Pohatu, seeing the flames glowing off the Toa’s brown mask.

“What do you think of Okoto so far?” the Protector of Stone asked.

Pohatu shrugged his shoulders, not even looking at Nilkuu. “It’s all right.”

Nilkuu frowned. “Just ‘all right?’ I’ll admit, you haven’t had a chance to explore the entire island, but….”

He trailed off, unsure of how to finish his sentence. Pohatu continued to stare at the fire, betraying no emotion in his eyes. Although he could not see behind the Toa’s mask, Nilkuu doubted that Pohatu’s expression would be anything but a blank slate.

Chewing his lip, Nilkuu debated whether or not to speak his mind. For the past several days, he had been wanting to voice his thoughts to the Master of Stone but had always thought better of it. Now, however, was perhaps the best—and possibly only—opportunity he had to do so. He only hoped that the Master of Stone did not take it the wrong way.

Taking a deep breath, Nilkuu said, “I must admit, Master Toa, you are not at all what I expected.”

This got Pohatu’s attention as his eyes shot up to meet the Protector’s. “What?”

“Ever since I was a child, I have heard stories of the Toa and their adventures. My father would regale me with tales that had been passed down for generations from our shared ancestor Kerato, who heard them first-hand from the Mask Maker Ekimu himself.”

Pohatu continued to stare at Nilkuu, unfazed by anything the Protector was saying. “Okay?”

Nilkuu sighed, casting his gaze back down at the fire. “The Pohatu of those legends was much different than you. The Pohatu I grew up knowing was a fun-loving adventurer who served as the heart of the Toa. His spirit was warm enough to even melt the ice around Toa Kopaka’s heart as the two of you went on to become great friends. Together you would scour the Land Above for masks of power, brave the treacherous skies of the Phantoka, and face off against Mavrah and his horde of the undead.”

He looked back up at Pohatu, meeting the Toa’s emotionless gaze.

“But you are not that Pohatu. You do not have the same warmth and heart that the Pohatu I knew does.”

“Probably because I’m not that Pohatu,” the Master of Stone replied. “I’ve never done any of those things you mentioned. At least, I don’t recall ever doing them.”

“And perhaps you didn’t,” Nilkuu admitted. “Perhaps they were merely tales that my father—or any of his predecessors—spun on their own, or were stories that Ekimu himself made up.”

He exhaled deeply as he returned his gaze to the fire.

“Perhaps I was naïve to think that you could ever satisfy my own preconceived notions. Not only is it unfair to me but it is unfair to you, to burden you with my impossible expectations.”

Pohatu tilted his head to the side. “Do you prefer the Pohatu that you grew up with?”

“I…” Nilkuu cleared his throat, still harsh and dry. “I mean, yes, but only because I spent so many years listening to and retelling those stories about him. I’ve only known you for a few weeks.”

“Why can’t I be just as good as that Pohatu, if only in different ways?”

To this, Nilkuu had no answer. Pohatu then uncrossed his arms and leaned forward.

“Listen,” he said, his voice unexpectedly soft. “What I’m about to say is between you and me, okay?”

Nilkuu looked up at him in surprise but nodded all the same. “Of course, Master Toa. Please, speak your mind.”

Pohatu waited a moment before speaking. “The reason I’ve been so… quiet and… I dunno, cold to you, is because… I’m not sure who I am supposed to be.”

This did not surprise Nilkuu. When he and the villagers had first encountered Pohatu, the Master of Stone had expressed confusion over his very identity.

“I don’t remember anything about my past life,” Pohatu went on. “Everything I know about myself and the other Toa is based on what you’ve already told me. Who knows, maybe I was the same as the Pohatu you heard stories about. Maybe I was warm and adventurous and best friends with Kopaka, who I haven’t even met yet. Maybe I did brave the Mavrah and scour the Phantoka or… whatever those things you mentioned were.”

He let out a sigh as he rested his chin on his hand.

“The point I’m trying to make is… my memory is a blank slate. So is my personality. I’m not sure how I’m supposed to act and I’m afraid that, if I act the wrong way, you and the villagers will reject me.”

“Of course not,” Nilkuu objected. “We would never dishonor you in such a way, Master Toa.”

“Good to know. Even so, I’m still afraid to open up to them. This is all brand new to me; a new world, a new life. I’m still not even fully convinced that this is just one long dream.”

Nilkuu chuckled. “Well, that makes two of us then.”

Pohatu glanced at him and Nilkuu could have sworn he saw the hint of a smile in the Toa’s eyes. The Master of Toa then reached behind his back and brought out his canteen, handing it to the Protector.

“Here,” he said. “Help yourself.”

Nilkuu shook his head. “No. I couldn’t—”

“I insist. I’ve barely drank from it and you look like you need it more than me.”

Nilkuu did not need any more convincing and he eagerly took the canteen, removing his mask to drink from it. Once he had finally satisfied his thirst, he set down the canteen and wiped his mouth.

“Many thanks, Master Toa.”

“Please, it’s just Pohatu. Right now, I don’t feel like I’m the master of anything yet. I’m just following your lead.”

Nilkuu chuckled. “Fair enough.” Letting out a yawn, he then laid down on the boulder and rested his head on his hands. “Now then, let us get some rest.”

“You go ahead,” Pohatu replied. “I’ll stay up to keep watch.”

Too tired to argue, Nilkuu closed his eyes. “If you insist, Mast— …Toa Pohatu.”

This Pohatu may have not been the one he had been expecting, the Protector of Stone thought. But he was pretty sure he was going to like him all the same.

The fire continued to crackle as Nilkuu found himself drifting off into a much-needed sleep.

9 Likes

Interesting. I’d say this really fleshes out one part of the journey.

2 Likes

Always nice to see some G2 content with some depth :slight_smile:

1 Like

Pretty good story, though

when did this happen and why do i want to see this desperately

also
does this mean G2 and G1 are connected?
are you Lenny7092?

1 Like

The stories that Nilkuu mentions are meant to be allusions to G1 but with some details conflated to make them different. The Mavrah/hordes of the undead is a reference to The Powers That Be (one of the last G1 stories), where Pohatu and Kopaka find Mavrah on the Red Star and would have later found other resurrected characters had it not been left unfinished.

It does not necessarily mean that G2 and G1 are connected, at least not in my mind. The G1 references are mostly just to there to serve the general theme of the story, which is an allegory to the general fan reaction to G2, among which was issues with returning characters like Pohatu not acting the way we think they should (such as Pohatu going from a fun-loving jokester to basically Batman).

And I have no idea who Lenny7092 is. :stuck_out_tongue: Is he a user here?

this is who lenny7092 is
just to point out, i don’t mean to make fun of him. i do respect him, though some other people don’t, sadly enough.

2 Likes

In my headcanon they’re either an alternate universe or somewhere that could be on Bara Magna: like the other side of the planet, for instance, where not many have ever traveled.

Nice story, by the way!

1 Like

I really like how this story gives more depth to the arrival of the Toa, this was sorely lacking in the original story

1 Like