Favorite Bionicle Art Styles?

Being biomechanical organisms, there are various ways people can draw Bionicle characters; from set accurate, to highly gritty and detailed, to human like, to sleek and cyborg-ish! Which do you guys prefer? If you draw, how do you do it?
Personally, I like to draw them sleek and cyborg-like, but I’m a sucker for well done hyper-detailed, gritty robots too.
Note: I wasnt sure if this should go under Bionicle or Artwork, so my bad if this is in the wrong place.

5 Likes

I draw them like stick figures

5 Likes

I’m trash at drawing, but when I see others artwork I like a style that makes it seem like they aren’t lego sets and makes them look slightly more realistic. Here’s an example:

This is a commission I had done by Ven.

10 Likes

Personally I like them kinda stocky, because there’s more room for detail.
I’ve yet to draw a toa, but I have done a few matoran.

1 Like

I personally prefer the set-accurate style.

1 Like

the 2015 Online short Art Style is probably is one of my Favorite Style that Lego ever made.

I just wish they done more with it, but at least other people been making more art with the Style.

like this Commission of Choroko (made by Leena/Leon on Discord)

8 Likes

It kind of depends on the character and what year it is. For instance, '01 I really like all of the pistons and gears, yet '07 I really want the more organic side. I’m also a pretty big fan of the '15 animation style for that year.

2 Likes

Always set accurate for me.

2 Likes

Probably MNOG and the 2006-2007 comic books. They both have fit atmospherically for their respective eras.

5 Likes

I like the MNOG style.

I’m a big fan of the style used for Nikila, and a bit of the movie designs.

2 Likes

I like the artstyle of the 2003 video game, it’s a nice compromise between the mirimax movie artstyle and set accuracy.

3 Likes

I love the MNOG style y the art of Carlos D´Anda

1 Like

Carlos D´Anda’s artwork from the original comics that shows all of the scratches and weathering on the Toa’s armor is my favorite.

3 Likes

My favorite Bionicle art style is that of the Miramax movies and also the Bionicle:the video game. I like how although they deviated a bit from the actual sets, they still looked pretty recognizable. They succeeded in portraying characters as truly bio mechanical. they certain additions the sets never had, something which I enjoyed seeing. I don’t really like it when Bionicle characters are drawn too much like the set or too much like humans. However although I like the detailed looks of the miramax movies I also kind of like the MNOG art style. That style is perfect for the early years of Bionicle. I don’t think that style isn’t really suited for characters beyond 2003.

1 Like