"Fikou-Mata" (Spider-Man as a Bionicle)

Hello everybody, this is Maniac4Bricks. Every year, I build at least 1 BIONICLE MOC, and I challenge myself to build one based on the Toa Mata or Toa Nuva building system specifically - this can involve changing colors of parts, additional builds, and even adding System elements for additional features. Usually by chance they debut as a display at BrickFair VA, a mecca for BIONICLE fans full of creativity and passion. This year I present Fikou-Mata, the Toa of Arachnids. (Fikou is a type of spider in BIONICLE.)

COMPOSITION

BACKGROUND (STORY)
“My name is Pita Paaka. I was bitten by a radioactive Fikou Spider, and for ten years I’ve been the one and only Fikou-Mata. I’m pretty sure you know the rest. I saved a bunch of people, fell in [non-canon], saved the city, and then I saved the city again. And again, and again and again.”

A humble Ta-Matoran working as a chronicler for The Weekly Flute in Ny-Koro, he was transformed into a Toa from the bite of a powerful Fikou Spider. I can’t imagine what would happen if he was bit by a radioactive Visorak :wink:

CONSTRUCTION

As with tradition, I built this around the basic structure of a Toa Mata / Nuva figure. The color changes adapted to the Spider-Man look very well, even though some parts weren’t available in Blue instead of Medium Blue. The main inspiration was the 2-fingered hand that Lewa, Tahu and Pohatu Mata shared, resembling the hand gesture that Spider-Man uses to shoot his webs (or Doctor Strange uses when casting spells, which actually has a fun backstory of its own in the comics).

The unique parts of building the figure are the chestplate spider, similar to Gali Mata’s build with added tooth pieces, and the webbing accessory, borrowing from System Spider-Man sets and joints from the Dinosaur Fossil Ideas set. The hands are interchangeable with Hero Factory/Agori closed fists.

The red Pakari being probably the most exclusive piece used here. The rest can be easily made by mashing parts from Tahu Mata, Gali Mata and Gali Nuva and trace elements of Spider-Man sets.

CONCLUSION

This color swap, simple as it may be, still illustrates to me that the most basic MOCs lining close to a retail set, can still offer something new and different to its original product. I’m still having fun recreating the Mata/Nuva formula we all know and love in G1 into various other figures. The Mata torso is a wealth of potential that has yet to be tapped into more often.

Now for the elephant spider in the room (yes they exist, also known as peacock spider): LEGO images of buildable action figure sets based on Spider-Man, Miles Morales and Venom were just revealed online about a day after I built my model, on August 2nd. I SWEAR to you. I built my model on Monday prior to leaving for BrickFair VA, only taking pictures now. I TEASED that this model would appear at BFVA on Twitter on July 30, 2022. This is a major coincidence but I do have to reveal mine prior to setting it up at the show just because it’s now a hot topic of “Constraction LEGO Spider-Man” - how could I say no??

I was informed through BrickFair VA 2022 that this MOC was heavily enjoyed during the public days, which I appreciate. Especially at a convention which hosted many towering and intricate MOCs all over the place. You don’t always have to build big to be impactful.

Maniac4Bricks

20 Likes

Here’s the rub, something I wouldn’t have posted along with the MOC otherwise, but have to update:

Fikou-Mata premiered at BrickFair VA 2022, joined on a table display in Bionicle with other MOCs I made previously. I was honored that a neighboring builder drew this MOC in a comic-book-like style that weekend.

By the end of Sunday, after the public closed, this and other MOCs I brought to display, were stolen. I wouldn’t call it that if I didn’t check all other options. I was one of the last people to clean up my tables in the whole convention, as I was on Move Crew for BrickFair and went to work before packing my belongings. I gave some goodbyes to people I hardly got to see in the week prior, but still wanted to hear how their time was. I attended the Closing Ceremony and gave a speech towards the end about how wonderful this hobby was for all to share and express themselves in their own ways. I even volunteered that I would like to bring back a historical display I held at BrickFair NJ, Bizarre LEGO, to further extend the history and diversity of the brand that we use in all sorts of ways. As I helped Move Crew clean up, I did see my tables untouched a few times, the last photographed at 5:53 pm. I had seen it at least one time after, undocumented time, where the tablecloth was removed for packing but the MOCs kept together with cards. Also some spare 16x32 dark bluish gray plates resting nearby in a stack. Some time later, the displays vanished, and I checked my other table and boxes to ensure they weren’t put away already. I checked Lost and Found at least twice and they weren’t turned in. I contacted the theme leader who advised posting to Yak (BrickFair Message Board) and no one had further information. I posted to my social media and a few confirmations seeing them around 6pm but nothing more of their movement, not even for safekeeping. I also heard reports of other people’s MOCs getting stolen, damaged, or the hotel vandalized. Foul play lurked at BrickFair, which Todd will sternly adjust in the coming conventions.

I even retracted my offer for the Bizarre LEGO historic display, which involves valuable and hard-to-replace products from company history. No sir, I won’t take that risk after this incident.

With all of my BIONICLE MOCs stolen, and no leads or evidence of a perpetrator, I have started rebuilding MOCs through BrickLink Studio based on photos taken and working up the parts list to build them again. MOCs that I’ve had since 2016, publicly shown up to dozens of times. All swiped because someone ignored the names next to them having ownership and seized an opportunity. They took them knowing it belonged to someone else. Despicable. And for MOCs with little parts value beyond the recolored masks, pathetic.

May their actions have consequence, the MOCs rebuilt or returned, and future security strengthen for all exhibitors. Any information about this incident is helpful and appreciated.

Maniac4Bricks

15 Likes

Man, getting your mocs stolen is just terrible. :confused: Especially with how cool this one looks! I hope you get them back or at the very least are able to rebuild them.

7 Likes

crap - who in the right mind just decides to steal somones hard work - at a toy convention!
the moc itself looks very good and fun - its also just a funny concept!

7 Likes

That would be Venom’s backstory in this universe.

4 Likes

really cool build, stick to hear about our mocs though

4 Likes

Yeah, I try to do that too (Bio-Cup is my way of forcing myself to make something)

Love this parody of those iconic lines.

“There are no coincidences.” - Master Oogway

@Maniac4Bricks Also…seeing the cool drawing someone made for you, as well as the fear of losing a Moc or parts being a thing holding me back from convention displaying, just felt like drawing a tribute myself:

I don’t know much about Spider-Man but I enjoyed Spiderverse and though it had some inspirational lines.

It was just supposed to be a quick little thing but ended up taking a while! Learnt a lot in the process though! Didn’t trace!

10 Likes

I’ve always been curious about BioCup, but rarely followed the contestants per round, and didn’t wanna pressure myself this year.

Glad you liked the parody, I had fun writing that.

Things do work in mysterious ways like that.

HOLY GADUNKA!! :star_struck: this is so incredible!! I’m honored enough that now 2 drawings were made in homage to my MOC, but also being a full-fledged cover with careful details and I’m happy you learnt from it as well! Thank you so very much!!

I have a relatively casual understanding of Spider-Man mostly based on the movies and a few comics, but you really pulled the tribute off!! Really made my day, I’m so sorry I didn’t see this months earlier! (Just had been absent from the site for a while with kinds of life stuff).

I have been slowly rebuilding the stolen MOCs by using my photos to rebuild them in BrickLink Studio and then placing orders for parts. I do hope to see them return rather soon and stick around.

• Maniac4Bricks
9 Likes

Okay I will not lie. This is pretty cool. A spider man like Toa would definitely be a cool idea for a Toa.

4 Likes

I just realized…Toa Metru were bitten by spiders…technically Toa Hordika are canon Spider-men :smiley:

8 Likes

I just assumed they were Furrys

3 Likes