Four Above, Four Below

Four Above, Four Below

Moment One: The Approach

The insect dragged itself across the damp sands, one claw in front of the other, its unblinking eyes staring straight ahead. Its companion ambled blindly around it, pawing at the occasional stone or scrub plant that dotted the region. The insect didn’t pay this behavior any mind; there was a destination to be reached.

Ahead, on the far horizon, a small, dark point was permanently erupted from the ground. This was the destination, it knew. The insect always managed to get where it was going; this was guaranteed, a part of its nature. No need for map and compass: its desire was sufficient to ensure its arrival. Indeed, map and compass were of little value here anyway.

The far horizon. most people had no idea what that really meant. They had never been to the higher places, and didn’t know what a near horizon looked like. Funny, these little things, so often overlooked. Most sapient creatures here were of a kind, and usually a fleeting sort at that. So consumes with frivolous matters, until some death comes swiftly to erase them, and they leave this low place having never known their nature.

The insect was not of a kind. It was of the primal ones, born of a time when each was their own kind. It had been to a higher place, once; it was a brief visit to a curved world, one that acted as a doorway to even more worlds. In that place, the primal ones were called gezhi. The insect supposed it was one of the gezhi of this low place, but it had not wanted to be, not after it learned of higher places. It had wanted to stay, then, but it had not been permitted to, and was sent back here.

And so, the thing dragged itself across the Sandscape, another term long lost. The dead creature that followed it was of a simple mind, and not fitted for conversational ability. It could not know terms, hidden or seen, and could not pine for a thing like the insect could. No matter; the destination had minds ample enough for discourse, and the time for speech would soon be at hand. For now, though, the small, wide-eyed creature stared ahead and pulled itself forward, one claw in front of the other. There was a destination to be reached.

7 Likes

Curious.

Can’t wait to read more.

3 Likes

No optic network equipment was harmed in the making of this film

3 Likes

Memory One: Castaway

Three souls walked briskly up the path, a bitter and delicate silence shared amongst them. The day was sweltering, even at this altitude, and the foliage that once grew verdant was withered and brown as far as any of them could see. A storm head was churning over the ocean to the northwest, but an otherwise cloudless sky offered no respite to the weary travellers.

The one that stood ahead of the group was visibly agitated, a waxen mask in his weathered grip. One of the two that followed kept his palm raised and aimed at his prisoner as they walked.

“This is a baseless oppression, Allpower,” the captive barked. “This body will not last another thirty years. I will be dead soon enough; just permit me my freedom this once.”

“We granted you more freedom than your followers ever had, Thymos,” came the reply, “And if it were death you sought, you could simply have denied him when he first approached you. You will receive only the wage you have earned.”

Thymos snarled his disgust, gripping the mask tighter. “And you will wander the universe, showering gifts and absence alike upon the heads of humble worshippers? Hypocrites. What of the billions dead by your own hand? Have you forgotten the second sun above us now, and the blood that fuels it? Your sins match mine, Ex Aperior.”

“We were never gods. Worship is not ours to seek. We knew that long before you were born, but I cannot, and will not, see that for you. Had you seen it yourself, those billions might not have bled.”

“Stop, please.” The other captor shook his head. “You took advantage of innocence and spent lives like currency. This isn’t a philosophical debate, it’s a prison sentence. Allpower, are we at least close?”

“A while yet, I am afraid. But silence suits me well enough.”

And so it was, with no sound but trodden earth, a hot, cutting wind, and the occasional flurry of stones skipping down the mountain side. In due time the pathway leveled out, and they found themselves standing in the center of a worn clearing, with several narrow paths branching out like a spoken wheel. Thymos’ demeanor was both arrogant and pouty.

“Off to Keranim, I presume?” His down-turned eyes peered into the dull green valley, at the blackened shell of the so-named city below.

“No,” said the Allpower, “A different chain for you to bear.” He gestured his free hand to the left, toward another scene; a seemingly endless desert, blanketed with cool, starry skies and sweeping dunes.

Thymos’ uncertain expression betrayed his ignorance. He turned to face the two judges, and chose to address the one on the right.

“The Allpower has no compassion for anything but his own, and I do not expect repentance from him,” said the convict, “But I have heard whisper of your fairness. Will you cast me out, Amfion? The very way you cast out your own kind, so long ago?” His voice was a warning tone, soft and condescending. The Amfion wouldn’t be so easily pressured.

“I was wrong about him,” the guardian said. “I’m not wrong about you.”

Thymos frowned, nodding his head as his eyes fell. Ex Aperior, hand still raised and aimed, spoke his final words to an old enemy.

“It is done. Take your brother and go,” he said gently, nodding at the grief-stricken mask in Thymos’ hands. With a sudden outward thrust of his palm, the Allpower cast the prisoner down the selected pathway, and Thymos disappeared from before them.

The Amfion blinked, squinted eyes asking an unformed question. It disturbed him that these so-called “folds” were as numerous as they were, and that he had served for so many millions of years without knowing of them. Ex Aperior caught his expression and attempted to ease his mind.

“Do not fret, my friend. When the second sun burns this world, the gates will close. The valley and the sandscape alike will be lost, left to drift alone in their own eternity.”

The Amfion nodded and turned, readying to leave for his own realm. As he spun on his heel, a small flash of pink and lavender caught his eye, and convinced him to turn back. He stooped down, peering at the small creature on the path before him.

“What is this? Wildlife?” The guardian gathered the little beast in a cupped hand, raising it high for his companion to see. Ex Aperior raised a hand and closed his eyes, navigating the essence of the soul before him. After a brief while, he spoke.

“It is not of this place, but it is alive, and has a strong mind. Perhaps it is one of Gargun’s.”

“We should summon him, then. I assume he knows his own creation better than anyone.”

“True enough.” The Allpower stepped away, as the Amfion carefully set the insect down. Let us return. Certainly, the others would desire to know of our efforts here."

The Amfion nodded his agreement, willing his form to burn and grow. The firey titan launched himself upward into the sky, disappearing into space even as the Allpower dissolved into a puff of white smoke.

The small, quiet being clambered up atop a stone, peering out across the vast reality before it. Anyone watching closely might have seen its mouth moving, an endless stream of unheard speech pouring out, and its wide, all-seeing eyes might have been imagined as being captivated.

In the distance, the storm front began to twist and curl, pressing itself and morphing into a rather odd shape for a thunderstorm. Within seconds, a towering humanoid raincloud stood ankle deep in the ocean, staring straight into the bulbous eyes of the wayward larvae. Much to its surprise, the storm spoke, a soft and nearby voice to contrast the violent, distant body.

“Hmm, little thing, lost and out of place.” The entity almost sang the words, a dismissive and uninvested lullaby from a largely indifferent father. “And I suppose I’m to decide this way or that? What a life I’ll live when my cell door closes in another man’s face, and never again will I be bothered to look through the bars. Can you imagine, little thing? Or have you not yet had such thoughts?”

The larvae didn’t seem to have a reaction, only the constant, silent movement of its mouth as a reply.

“Ah, of course, I can’t help myself, can I?” The titanic storm tilted its head sideways. “A string of words, and no mind to weave it through. So much time in a place, and the habit of it all becomes my cell. Allow me to sever my own chain, then.”

The little creature seemed to react to that last comment, but Gargun took no notice.

“Go, little thing. Go and rot with your dark, new gods. I’ve so little use for a bad memory.” With a thunderous wave of his hand, the insect flew backward, returning down the path it had wandered up, and disappearing from existence. The storm entity fired a stream of lightning from his fingertips, incinerating the mountaintop into a running flow of slag. Without waiting to see the outcome, the dream god abandoned his form, and the storm body crystalized into stone before dissolving under its own weight.

Later that week, before the waves could fully settle or the lava flows could fully harden, the sun above pulsed and expanded, boiling the waves into nothing and burning the stone in kind. This planet was destroyed, and with it, the gates atop the mountain. No soul would ever step foot upon those paths again, and no god would ever look back.

5 Likes

This is interesting… those names read like a mix of Transformers and Thor.

2 Likes

Ah the insect is in fact a larvae and a pink one at that…

Human baby larvae gets yeeted by Zeus, this is so sad gamers :pensive:

5 Likes

quotation mark missed
minor spelling error, i win bye bye

HBL IS DEAD :sob:

3 Likes

Everything I write has at least one no matter how hard I try, it’s like a “Where’s Waldo” game I play with myself

AnyConcreteBarasinga-max-1mb

Not impossible that I was inspired by those in some way

4 Likes

Moment Two: First Contact

The archers dove for cover as another rolling beam of fire poured out across the stone pathway. A few tried to nock their arrows for a shot at the beast’s underbelly, but a fading roar indicated the dragon’s rapid withdrawal from the castle walls.

“Calvin!” One soldier shouted to another. “Arrows!”

“Running short, Maxus,” was the reply. Maxus cursed and reached for an axe that was lying on the ground. It was hot to the touch, and the heat of it was only just bearable, but the old archer knew the dragon would circle around a time or two before losing interest. This was the circle they ran in together.

Another bellow from the beast, this one already distant, but the slight increase in volume told Maxus what he needed to know: the dragon was coming back around.

Crouching behind the parapet, Maxus gripped the axe over his shoulder, listening for the bass of beaten wing. One… two…

The soldier sprung to his feet and uncurled his arm forward, hurling the weapon head over handle toward the approaching lizard as it opened it’s mouth again. The creature lifted, but had seen the weapon too late, and its heavy roar was strangled by a pitched yelp as the blade dragged a gash across the membrane of the dragon’s wing.

A few premature cries of victory shot out from the other archers, but Maxus kept his stoic eyes burned into the dragon’s hide. It flew off a ways, but kept to circling over the far lake; not a retreat, but staving off advance.

Calculating its wound. Maxus called to the townsfolk below, requesting an expedited cache of ammunition. This fight had been on for months; it wasn’t going to end after one blow.

The old archer kept his eyes outward, watching his enemy’s every move, but his eyes flicked slightly to the left when he caught movement. Was that… a dog? And something else, something small, crawling across the sands. Whatever it was, the canine wasn’t wandering too far.

Some trick of the dragon? It wouldn’t be the first time that monster had shown its intelligence with a dirty play. Unlikely though it seemed, Maxus would keep an eye on the newcomers, just in case…

~IV :small_red_triangle::small_red_triangle_down: IV~

The dragon circled the waters gently, careful not to press too heavily into the wind. That was… unexpected. The humans are usually not so clever as that. He eyed the clean, sparkling water. He was tired, and wanted to clean his wound while he rested, but feared the humans might call it weakness. He did not want to embolden them; that would make them all the more difficult to remove.

Hello.

The dragon’s eyes chased the sound, although he knew it came from his own mind. Anyone who could speak in his own thoughts was mighty, possibly a threat, and he was having an embarrassingly hard time handling the humans is it was.

I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to upset you, and I certainly don’t want to cause you any trouble. I simply thought it prudent to make myself known. It looks like a tense moment.

Where are you? The dragon caught sight of movement by the lakeshore. The dog?

No, but near to it. I’m a bit harder to see at the moment, and would prefer to keep it that way for now. If you were nearer, you might spot me, but I would understand your reluctance. Don’t feel pressured, please.

What do you want here? This is my nest. I’ve already killed most of the humans, the lizard thought, a warning against ill intentions.

The stranger kept his voice calm and polite. I’m not keen on taking anything of yours, and to be honest, I didn’t count on your being here. In fact, I came to see the castle. I was hoping it might make a suitable home.

The dragon snorted, a disgusted laugh. Don’t invest. They built it atop my nest; I’ll have it torn to rubble soon enough.

Hmm. A brief pause, and suddenly the dog was bounding around the lake and toward the structure.

Custom and practice vary from place to place, so feel free to correct me. Many dragons are unattached to their nests, simply using them as a temporary nursery for the egg. Is this true of you, friend? The dragon confirmed it.

If I could find a way to supply access to your young, might you consider sparing the castle? Assuming I can assuage the humans, of course.

The dragon shook his head, amused. You’re free to try. If you can manage it, I’ll spare the fortress. Thank you in advance for your effort; I’ll give you a proper burial when I retrieve your body with my brood.

The stranger said nothing in reply, but the dragon felt a faint, cheerful sensation. Then it was gone.

Maxus had seen the hound run suddenly toward the castle, and ordered two guards to track it’s movements. He kept his eyes on the reptile over the lake, circling still, no doubt waiting for the soldiers to drop their guard.

“Pardon me, please.” Maxus spun, alarmed, and scoured the area for the source of the unexpected sound. He came up empty-handed.

“Apologies,” said the stranger. “If you don’t mind, I’d prefer the privacy of remaining unseen, just for now. I hope that doesn’t make you uncomfortable.”

“Where are you?” Maxus demanded, a puzzled tone buried in his voice. The stranger laughed, a gentle, friendly laugh.

“I’m here, with you, on the wall. And it is a well built wall, at that; the whole castle is quite lovely. Did you and your clan build it yourselves?”

Maxus was uninterested in the flattery. “What have you done with my guards?”

“Nothing at all. They didn’t see me either. I walked past without a sound.”

“Then you are an intruder, and a threat-”

“Did you know someone else lived here before you?” the stranger interrupted.

“We built the castle. Nobody lived here before us.” Maxus quietly rested his hands on his hips, and one on the knife strapped there.

“Oh, no, not in the castle,” the voice said. “I meant here, on this plot of land. There’s a cave underneath you. Did you know about that?”

Maxus heart sank a bit, a slight feeling of dread settling in. “I’m not sure what you are, if you’re some sort of spirit… If we disturbed your space, I swear to you, we did so unintentionally. Please, bring no harm to these people. They’re just trying to survive, and under my direction.”

The gentle voice replied, reassuringly. “Not me, no. I want no harm to come to you. But the one that circles the lake- he left something very dear to him beneath the place you now call home.”

Maxus raised his chin in thought, blinking rapidly beneath a furrowed brow. “I wasn’t aware dragons could feel such sentiment.”

“Oh, they always have, since they first arrived,” said the stranger. “And they will fight for their young as fiercely as you would yours. Do you have children?”

Maxus shook his head. “I do not, but there were several under my watch. They’re gone now, because of that animal. I ought to return the favor.”

The stranger let out a thoughtful sigh, as though he were deciding what to make for dinner. “Yes, that’s certainly an option. I wonder how much more fiercely the dragon will fight, knowing it has nothing to lose?” Maxus said nothing.

“Someone told me, once: this moment only exists to define the next. A dragon sees his home occupied by strangers, and assumes invasion. Humans take a blow, and assume the same. Every party had a choice… and who, archer, is winning?”

The voice continued. “You’ve found a prime target, friend. I’m certain that’s why he’s held back; a lost child would bleed him dry more quickly than any arrow. Are you the sort of man to take that shot? Or is there something you would hold back for, as well?”

Maxus let out a frustrated sigh. “It’s been months of war and death. These people will never see him as anything but the monster that killed their families. It’s the only thing they’ve been shown.”

“People are capable of just about any change, if they desire it,” said the stranger. “But I suppose it’s ultimately your decision to make. You are their leader, after all.”

Maxus turned and looked out after the dragon, faltering occasionally as it looped around the lake. Ten minutes ago, that might have been a small victory for him; now, he felt a begrudged pity.

“And how do I approach a dragon that wants me dead?” He asked the stranger, but there was no reply. Maxus called out, but only the wind and the crashing surf responded.

The dog pawed away another loose stone, widening the chamber enough to let the hatchling out, when the time came. A muffled, hollow cough emanated from the dead thing; a bark, calling her master to come and see her work.

“Good girl.” The insect crawled forward and observed the nest: a massive heap of dried grass and seaweed, almost completely obscuring the large shell underneath.

“We may have to kill the humans again,” said the insect, a casual disappointment in his voice. The dog whined, a breathy whimper of a protest.

“I know you like them,” said the creature’s master. “But these ones might not be friendly.” He turned to his canine companion.

“I promise I’ll find you more if I need to.” The insect turned and crawled down the freshly dug tunnel, his only friend following closely behind.

Well, Thymos, I’ve made the moment, the insect thought. Let’s see what follows.

5 Likes

oh so that’s what this is about

3 Likes

Is it a fairly serious spin-off of an expansive sci-fi fantasy epic that I never actually wrote down? Or am I just screwing around with discounted Lego sets that I’ve been accumulating?

Yup

5 Likes

Memory Two: Begotten

Gargun drifted gracefully down from the starfield, timidly scanning the earth for his unwilling host. This was a small fold, and there were really no viable hiding spaces in it, but somehow still the dream maker hoped its occupant was not home.

He was destined for disappointment. A short way toward the false horizon, half buried in the soil, was a scrawny and unkempt man, apparently attempting to burrow his way into the ground. The dream maker noted not only the increased derelict state of the man’s hygiene, but the fact, too, that he had apparently disrobed before attempting his subterranean journey.

“Why?” the wish-god muttered to himself as he approached, his disturbia evident in a condescending grimace. He turned his focus toward, then quickly away from, the chewing sounds emanating from the frail soul, electing instead to analyze the dreamscape as he addressed his involuntary companion.

“No doubt you are well occupied, but I am, nevertheless, here. Would it be too much to ask that you finish your meal before coming out?”

The man groaned, a mindless expression of sound muffled by the surrounding earth. He wriggled his way backward from the pit, uncurling his spine as he turned to face his visitor. He hung his jaw, glaring at the newcomer, grassroots waving in the breeze of his heavy breath where they sprouted between his teeth.

“Lovely.” Gargun pointed at the ground and drew a line in the air; a large tree root breached the earth in a rolling motion, high enough for a comfortable seat. The god sat himself impatiently, clasping his hands together. He offered a tired look to the crazed man.

“I’ve brought you another trinket, but you know what it costs. Have you anything to say this time, Fovos?”

Fovos closed his mouth, eyes cast to the side. He scratched his dirt-encrusted fingers at the soil beside him, grumbling incoherently behind pursed lips.

“I cannot get through the door,” he muttered at last. “Others will not let me in. They keep coming out, though.” Gargun glanced around, mildly confused.

“Which door? I never made a door here.” The dream maker shifted his position, trying to decipher what, if anything, Fovos was referring to. “Has someone else been visiting you?”

Fovos twisted his face, wrought with discomfort and a trace of nervousness.

“It is not my door. This one is for someone else. I dislike when he comes here; I do not want to do what he makes me do.”

Gargun squinted at the barely-conscious man. “Are you referring to me?” Fovos stared absently for a moment; then, relaxing his expression, revealed a faint smile.

Gargun sighed, exasperated. For as many times as he had been sent here, he had hoped to either generate some measure of progress, or convince Waw to abandon this hopeless endeavor entirely. The man was clearly deranged, and far from mentally whole; no more complete than Azeralom, or any of the other shimmer gods. Mental partiality was intrinsic to Fovos’ being, but Waw had set his hopes high.

“Fine.” The wish maker picked up a stone and began shaping it like putty, pressing in bits of grass and soil as he worked. “I will make you another dream-spawn to play with, then, and we will try again afterward. Perhaps we can try another memory game.”

Fovos watched his visitor’s work, enthralled by the process. Halfway through his little show, he grimaced, rotten teeth bared in an animalistic expression. If Gargun had not been preoccupied, he might have seen his maddened counterpart’s twisted face devolve into a form even darker than it had been previously. Fovos’ transition was as shocking as it was rapid; heavy breaths heralded grossly altered body proportions, and his filth-ridden flesh adopted a bloated and water-logged complexion. Gargun glanced up, taken somewhat aback by the sudden hysteria.

“Fovos, I’ve nearly finished,” he said irritably. “Please, give me just a moment more and you-”

Fovos leaped forward, grabbing Gargun by his throat and driving him to the ground. In his shock, Gargun tried to push the fear god from his form, before deciding to dissolve this body altogether.

His decision came too late. Fovos’ power was rolling from him in waves, piercing even Gargun’s nebulous form. Already the dream god was faltering under the panic racing through his heart. This was not the first time Fovos had lost control at Gargun’s expense, but the dream caster was acutely aware of the unique severity of the moment: in a dreamscape, Fovos should not have had enough power to overwhelm Gargun. The dream maker had always been able to dispel Fovos’ frantic anxiety in the past; nevertheless, Fovos had overtaken Gargun in a matter of seconds, and Gargun was moments away from being no more than another babbling idiot, desperately pandering to the whims of Fovos for fear of being torn limb from limb.

Gargun was quickly losing lucidity when he heard Fovos yelp in pain. The fear god’s eyes shifted from a swirling, milky white back to their usual shade of green, and he fell backward from his victim. As his dwindling power released Gargun, he held his waist under his ribs, pouting as he nursed his wound. Gargun’s mind pressed through the cloud of emotion, and his eyes followed his brother’s.

An arm’s reach from them both, writhing in the grass, was the unfinished dream-spawn. Or, rather, it was finished, but so far from what Gargun had envisioned.

The creature did indeed have the insect-like nature Gargun had intended, but the fear of Fovos had turned his living dream into a nightmare. Large, unblinking eyes claimed the majority of the spawn’s face, and ever-moving mandibles were capped in clusters of human teeth. In fact, many of its features were reminiscent of a human offspring; the blubbery, rolling skin blended seamlessly with a violet shell, and infantile fingers were split and tipped with claws almost too small to see. The upper half of the torso was fairly similar to a human’s, but gave way to a pulsating, segmented abdomen comparable to that of a maggot. Dark pink tendrils took the place of any hair the thing might otherwise have had, and the whole writhing mass continued down its back, like a cluster of worms seeking out a meal.

Gargun scrambled to his feet, backing hurriedly away from both Fovos and the small horror dragging itself across the ground. Fovos’ power had receded entirely by now, but Gargun still felt a tightness in his chest: nobody had ever gotten the best of him like that. He had never lost control of his power before; the sight of that creature turned his stomach, and the thought of another such incident filled him with a quiet dread.

The frightened god grabbed another stone from the ground, pressing it into a new form as he pressed his fear into anger. Fovos watched, placidly, as Gargun voiced his mind.

“For all your displeasure, I have returned to this pit time and again for you,” he spat. “Were it not for Waw’s mercy and my patience, you would have been bottled up ages ago.”

Gargun pressed the stone more aggressively, each movement emphasized by a leap in volume. “I have been kind enough to waste my time and talents on you, granting you the benefit of doubt, hoping you might learn to be more than you are.” The stone had adopted a waxen complexion, and a twisted, distraught face was taking shape- a mask, perfectly representative of Fovos mind. Gargun threw the mask to the ground, like the stone it once was.

“You will never be more than a monster to the people of this realm,” he said, his words dripping with hateful condescension. “And you will never be more than burdensome to us. I will not risk myself any longer for you. I renounce Waw’s heart-” Gargun pointed at Fovos- “and I renounce you.”

As the troubled god dragged his finger toward the mask, Fovos’ form began to waver and fade from sight. To his credit, Fovos neither panicked nor raged. Instead, he smiled, a soft and satisfied expression.

“You did your best,” said the former god-king. “Thank you, Gargun.” Within a second, he was gone.

Gargun stood there a moment, his temper fading with his fear. He approached the mask and picked it up. If Waw desired Fovos so greatly, then he could have him.

The dream god raised his eyes and looked around. He had never paid much attention to how small and mundane the space really was; not unlike his own Desert. He considered releasing this space from his hand, but thought better of it. If the rift widened, and this fold opened in Waw’s chamber, it could displace a large portion of the surrounding area; thousands could be killed by it. Gargun was angry, not murderous.

‘The Sandscape can hold it,’ he thought, feigning his usually dismissive tone in his mind. ‘Far from my portion, and never to be seen again.’ The thought was a comfort for him, although he couldn’t quite dismiss the strange clarity of Fovos’ final sentiment.

He caught movement in his peripheral sight, but turned further away. He knew what it was, what it represented. It didn’t matter anymore. He was done here.

The dream god stepped out of existence, and the world he left behind him began to stretch and blur. In a moment, the fold and its contents had passed into another plane, and the portion of reality it occupied was returned to the void.

3 Likes

I’m no cartographer but here’s a rough sketch of the sandbox we’re playing in

3 Likes

Sooner or later you gotta stop ruminating and editing and just post the darn thing amiright

Moment Three: In Union

The settlement was abuzz with movement. High atop wooden lattice erected around the castle, workers were hastily mortaring the curtain wall where the dragon’s heat had fractured the stone a week earlier. Food stores were being hidden away in the cavern below the castle, in advance of an expected visit from the Home Owner’s Association.The mysterious figure that had negotiated peace between the dragon and human clan had now been appointed a directory role in everyday affairs, and he was already laying out plans for an expansion to the castle fort. To this end, masons and carpenters were surveying the land between the castle and the nearby ocean.

Within the castle walls, a small group had gathered in the courtyard, murmuring incoherently to each other as they surrounded the newly appointed Master of the House and a couple of other citizens. The crowd was lingering outside the prison cell, a small cavity built into the castle wall, no bigger than a coat closet. A roughly forged gate of iron was held fast by a thick oak timber laid horizontally across the doorway, and the small room was occupied by a single human skeleton, peering out at the crowd bitterly. The Master of the House peered back.

“I’ll have to admit, I wasn’t expecting quite so many judicial matters.” The infant, now large enough for the people to see, crawled up to the prison bars. Most of the castle folk made little effort to disguise their aversion to his twisted and unnatural appearance, but the creature took little notice of what he had grown so accustomed to. To the people’s credit, some of the older ones were completely unfazed; having grown old in a dreamscape, the oddities they had seen had become innumerable.

“Hello.” The larvae squinted through the shadows at the skeleton, despondently leaned against the castle wall. “What’s your name?” The tone of the skeleton’s reply was a sardonic one.

“Angelo. What’s yours?” He asked, although his voice betrayed his disinterest. The small creature outside the cell gave up a sad, understanding smile and turned away to the blacksmith standing proudly behind him.

“I thought this little trip had to do with a recent bout of sickness?” The bug asked. The man aimed his hammer at Angelo in response.

“It was his food, was makin’ us sick,” the smith barked, his voice laced with fresh accusation. “Almost soon as we locked him up, folks stopped havin’ aches. Took a few weeks for the shakin’ to quit, though.”

“The food was making you shake? Or was this after you locked him away?”

The blacksmith twisted his mouth and tilted his head. “Mostly after, I guess. But sometimes it happened while he was still sellin’. Some folks couldn’t stop until they ate more of his food, but most of us didn’t shake 'til we had to get our own.”

The human-larvae hybrid eyed the ground absently, chasing a thought. “What are you eating now? Aren’t you collecting your crops from the same fields? And you’re not sick in the slightest?”

“Coulda been poisoned,” offered a villager from the crowd.

“Well, did you find poison in his shop?” The smith shook his head as the others murmured a like consensus.

The master of the house addressed the skeleton in the cell. “What exactly did you sell them?”

Angelo brushed his ruddy hair from his face and shrugged. “Bread, mostly. Cheese and milk too. Everything else was got from the fields, or the wild lands; I just charged the labor.”

“You made the cheese yourself?” The larva inquired, but the baker shook his head.

“Can’t farm dairy independently anymore. There’s a company, Fonduera, has it in with the Association. All sorts of laws that let ‘em control that market. I’ve heard stories from family farther inland that they’ve been told at gunpoint to stop milkin’ the cows, even had the cows shot. Called themselves ‘security’; sounds more like military to me. But that’s just what I heard.”

The human-larvae nodded his understanding. “I’ve heard of similar situations in other lands I’ve travelled. I assume you’ve had to switch to their product?”

Angelo nodded, his dour expression fading. “Yeah. That’s why the price is higher, and it’s not as good. But I couldn’t afford to lose that portion of sales, it’s too much of the business.”

The insect nodded again, and after a brief moment of thought, spoke his command. “Let him out.”

A low burst of objection rose up from the small crowd. The blacksmith, clearly offended by the notion, spoke again on their behalf.

“What for? We just told you why he’s in there.” The small creature turned to look up at the defiant man, his eyes almost expressionless.

"You said some of you would shake uncontrollably when you hadn’t eaten his product for awhile, but you’re still eating the same crops and wild gatherings he sold, with no side effects. The only source you don’t have access to any longer is Fonduera, because there’s no one here to sell their product now that Angelo is imprisoned. I think it’s likely the problem lies with the company, not the salesman. There’s nothing naturally addictive about a glass of milk, last I had checked, and Angelo no longer has a say in where he sources his dairy, so the dairy is probably the issue.

“If Fonduera has somehow gained the legal freedom to threaten independent farmers out of business, then they’re probably purchasing someone’s authority. If they’re willing to do that, then they’re likely willing to put harmful additives in their food, especially if it secures a recurring customer base. My point being, Angelo didn’t poison you, he was simply trapped in a capital system he had no control over, and couldn’t afford to leave. So, again, let him out.”

Some of the villagers were confused by the hurried pace of it, and a couple were nodding along with the simple logic. The smith, for his part, was struggling to mask his anger, but begrudgingly stepped forward and raised the door brace regardless. A few people awkwardly clapped their hands as Angelo stepped timidly into the bright moonlight. The human baby larvae turned in position and faced the dead baker.

“Angelo, I’m making you a citizen of this place. You’ll retain the freedom to seek additional citizenship elsewhere, but in this territory, you’ll have the same rights as anyone else.” The Master turned his head and spoke over his shoulder to the crowd, before his voice was lost in the rising volume of theirs.

“I want you to show this man the same respect you would show me, or anyone else in your clan. We’re all struggling enough without turning on each other. Reserve this cell for those who’ve earned it.” The Human Baby Larvae turned again to Angelo. “No more dairy until I can convince local farmers to sell again. I understand business will be difficult for a while; please do your best with what you have and I’ll accommodate where I can, understand?”

Angelo nodded, almost eagerly. “How did you figure it out so fast? Took these lot three whole months to get nowhere at all, and that’s with me spellin’ it out for 'em.” He called after the Master of the House, who was already moving away, toward the main gate.

“They went looking for trouble and found some, it just wasn’t the trouble they needed to see. Don’t spend too much time looking for it; it’s usually enough just to notice.” the new Master called back his reply as he crawled. “Anyway, It’s a story I’ve heard before.”

The Human Baby Larvae completed a circle of individuals in the clearing ahead of the castle gate, grouped around a small wooden table. With him were Maxus, a woman named Linda, and the dragon, whose name was Oram. Completing the group was a small amphibian individual, a priestess of her nearby village. Nearby, Pumpkin Dog rolled around in the dust, chasing a grasshopper.

“I don’t fully understand. Are they a monarchy? An elected government?”

Maxus shook his head. “They’re more like a corporation, everything is numbers and office etiquette to them. They set and enforce the ordinance, and hire in new leadership.”

They don’t enforce it, they just fine the snot out of everyone until we enforce it on ourselves,” Linda griped. “I’d already have a small village built if it weren’t for all those fines.”

HBL gestured his point. “They could enforce it, if they hired out a private military.”

“Oh, like Fonduera?” Maxus groused.

HBL nodded. “Like Fonduera. Or it may be easier to just contract that company, if they already have a close relationship.”

“Well,” Maxus sighed, crossing his arms. “We don’t have much of a military ourselves. Fighting Oram was hard enough, with almost no weaponry and few able bodies.”

HBL turned to Oram. “How do you feel about fighting for the House?”

“You scratch my back, I’ll scratch yours. Just point the way.”

“Pumpkin Dog and I will join you,” said the Master. “I’m willing to bet you’ll fight too, Maxus.”

“Of course,” said the archer, scoffing at any idea otherwise. He shifted the topic. “I sent out messengers to the local farmers and nearer villages, like you asked. I really don’t think a lot of them will respond, though.”

HBL shrugged. “Most of them will need more than a promise. I don’t expect much, off the bat.” He looked down the path and pointed. “Here they come.”

Down the road, a small green autocarriage, printed with the English letters ‘HOA’, rumbled along the grassy pathway, throwing up a thin cloud of dust in its wake. The priestess of the amphibian village, Liatris, voiced her dissent.

“I am concerned this will not work,” she lamented, urgency in her tone. “Their ignorance has always been our security. If they retain their power after this exchange, they will not hesitate to control us the way they control you.”

“I won’t allow that, priestess.” HBL turned to face her, a reassuring expression somehow present in his insectoid face. “You are under my protection now, just the same as everyone else. There’s no need to hide any longer; just help me navigate this meeting and I’ll repay you in kind, please.” Liatris nodded, albeit not enthusiastically.

The autocarriage slowed to an idle fifty yards out, rotating to face the other direction and bringing the engine to a halt. There was a long pause as the person inside, presumably, gathered themselves together.

“Alright, think twice before you speak.” HBL eyed the carriage like a predator stalking prey. “As far as they know, we’re meeting to discuss an expansion project. Don’t give them anything to work with if you don’t have to.”

The carriage door opened. A short humanoid in a close-fit suit stepped awkwardly from the car and walked briskly toward the group, a leather-bound binder tucked beneath her arm.

“Four above,” she called out, a winning smile on her face.

“Four below,” was HBL’s cheery reply. He expanded his size and shape to match hers and moved to meet her halfway.

Maxus squinted his eyes a bit, thinking. After so many months of conflict, he found himself drawn back to HBL’s earlier line of thought. “What could he do in a real fight?”

Linda shrugged, slouching back in her chair. “Shake their hand? I don’t know. Maybe give 'em a heart attack, if they’re not already used to him.” She laughed at her own joke while Maxus scolded her.

“Oh, he wouldn’t mind.” She waved her hand. “Oram, whaddaya think? Does the Master of the House have any secret karate moves we don’t know about?” She rocked her shoulders as she said ‘karate moves’, grinning playfully.

Oram huffed a mild laugh. He stretched his wings, settling into a sitting position. “I really doubt it’s karate.”

The group watched as HBL reached the HOA representative, extending a welcoming hand. The woman was visibly reluctant at first, clearly avoiding eye contact with the disturbing hybrid before her. Nevertheless,professionalism won out, and she embraced his with hers graciously.

“Oh, Maxus, look.” Linda smiled and pointed. “He’s already winning.”

~ IV :small_red_triangle::small_red_triangle_down: IV ~

HBL stood at the shore, peering cautiously out at the sea. Far off, an unknown vessel cut through the tossing waves, obscured by the soft rain, known only by the violent flicker of the lanterns. His eyes followed that light as it moved steadily across his field of view, a bit farther left each second passed. He didn’t pull his eyes away until he heard the sound of heavy tread, the tall grass hissing as it scratched against the approaching person’s legs with each step. He turned to see the clan leader step into the rocky shore, and turned back to the agitated surf.

“You know to be perfectly honest, I don’t really understand what happened back there.” Maxus took his place to HBL’s right. “She seemed pretty happy with the way the conversation ended.”

HBL shrugged. “There’s not much to understand. From what I’ve observed, the Association doesn’t pay much attention to logic or reason when they write their laws; it’s only just enough to exploit you, so it wasn’t difficult to find a loophole. She was only satisfied because she’s too confident in her own system to notice its weakness. She probably thinks we were confused.”

“One of us was.”

The larvae chuckled in reply. “All that matters is a signed agreement affording us relative freedom. Until they realize what it is and void it, anyway, but it should buy us time away from them. That’s all we really need.”

“Well.” The old farmer shifted his footing. “As long as one of us gets it, huh?”

The two watched the rain together for a moment, listening to the patter of droplets against the stone shore. The far light had escaped view, no doubt obscured by the rising land that flanked the bay.

Maxus opened his mouth to speak, but the words were caught short by something inside. When he found them again, he looked down at the water sloshing by his boots, bashful discomfort playing on his features.

“I meant to thank you before, for working things out with Oram.”

“You were the one who negotiated peace with him, not me,” the larva refuted, calmly. Maxus furrowed his brow and shook his head, dismissively, and maybe with a hint of irritation.

“Now… Hold on a moment, let me finish.” HBL almost replied, but chose instead to stay silent. Only the patter of rainfall on the tall grass attempted to interrupt Maxus as he spoke.

“I guess the odds are I’d have gotten everyone killed sooner or later if you hadn’t showed up, and I just owe you a thank you. I didn’t know what Oram was about, and I just…” Maxus grimaced. “I got a lot of people killed for it. Could have been more.” HBL shook his head as he faced Maxus.

“I think you did the best you could with what you knew. There were poor decisions, yes, but none borne of neglect or pride. You said it yourself, you didn’t know he had a nest here. You didn’t even know he was more than an animal.”

“Yeah, and I tried to kill him like one.” Maxus shook his head again. He made a lazy gesture toward the House. “Anyway, I hear them talking, and everyone is grateful for the peace and quiet you’ve made for them. We’re all pretty glad you’re here.” HBL smiled, still a wicked expression even in a human form.

“Thank you,” HBL said softly as he turned back to the water. Maxus nodded quickly, but couldn’t stand the seriousness of the moment.

“Well, everyone but the Home Owner’s Association.”

HBL barked a laugh. “And Fonduera, I suppose.”

“And Donny, unfortunately.”

HBL smirked as he turned again to Maxus. “That’s the blacksmith, right? I did find it difficult connecting with him.”

Maxus grinned and shrugged his uncertainty. “He doesn’t get along with anyone at first, or usually ever. Just part of who he is.”

“I’m still not entirely sure what exactly he wanted me to do. Angelo was in a cell; nobody is sick anymore. He seemed to think he had solved the problem.”

Maxus sighed and leaned back in a stretch. “I think he just wanted to impress you, make sure he’s not on the sidelines. Everybody knows you’re driving the horses now and, well, I don’t want to speak ill of anyone, but Donny’s got an ego and he likes to keep it fed. Good man, though. Takes care of his people.”

“I’m sure of it.” HBL’s eyes caught another flicker of flame through the mist hanging over the sea, noting its direction.

“Who are they?” He asked, pointing a finger at the light.

“No idea,” Maxus said. “They never come here.”

“Hmm.” HBL rocked his head in thought. “We’ll need to make some friends soon. I just incited a revolution against a very powerful government.”

“You want to contact them?” Maxus nodded to the far, unseen ship. “We’d need to build our own ship first.”

“No, not them. Well… maybe, at some point. But we’ve got to finish a few other projects before that, like the docks. I was thinking of another people in particular. Could you do me a favor in the meantime?”

“Yeah, sure.” Maxus crossed his arms. “What do you need?” HBL turned around and pointed to the castle.

“Every time a trader comes by, offer them a permanent camp across the river from the castle, right around there.” HBL made a rough circle in the air, toward a relatively flat portion of land. “We need this place to become a major hub, trade and the like, and that won’t happen if it’s just fifty farmers and a dragon.” Maxus pursed his lips, already planning the encampment layout.

“Sure, makes sense to me.” He paused for a moment, then huffed a sigh. “Well, I don’t know about you, but I’m an old man and I’m pretty well beat, so I’m off to bed.”

“I’ll stay a while, I think.” HBL turned back to the sea, catching the second light just as it passed beyond sight. “Thank you, Maxus. Sleep well tonight.”

Maxus waved and headed back up the path. The Human Baby Larvae kept his post for another long while. The rain had since let up a bit, and he hoped to see a third vessel with a clearer view, but none came. He let his mind wander, imagining what those people might be like, and where they come from…

…ind him, we’ll have nowhere to hide.

The hybrid king jolted around, frantically chasing the horizon with his piercing eyes.

‘…Ellion?’

Lord?

The Master of the House ran clumsily on human legs up the path and around the castle wall. He again scanned the horizon, seeking the source of the voice in his mind.

‘Ellion, where are you?’

My Lord, I’m in the wastes. Bastion and I are sheltering in a canyon. We feared you dead, my Lord.

‘No, I am alive.’ HBL smiled. 'I thought perhaps Thymos had killed you, as well.

Fortunately not, my Lord. Are you well? I’ve not heard your mind so clearly before.

‘I found a way to lift the veil. I am free, Ellion, or will be soon.’

Lord, we are hunted by the swarm. We wish to be free of Thymos as well, if you would have us.

‘I would. Follow my voice, Ellion. I have a new home for you.’

4 Likes

too long didn’t read

I didn’t realize hbl was descended from royalty

haha yeah

:eye: :eye: :sweat_drops:

4 Likes

Faker

Technically he’s descended from gods so who even knows what that is, he’s percy jackson

4 Likes

ZEUS!

YOUR LARVAE HAS RETURNED

3 Likes

On a scale of sooner to later when should I write a scene wherein HBL just annihilates and possibly eats some people

3 Likes

Later. That’s for when people are starting to treat him and the skeleton as great heroes, or even kings.

2 Likes

So book three, then. Copy that

3 Likes