G3 Set Concept: Mangai Defense Tower

thanks a lot

All of the yes to this set. I would definitely buy this, my guy.

Amazing as perusal.

I love this. I love the little things in the minifigures, like the gears on the back and the armor piece with printed Protector armor. This set is just awesome, my favorite of yours so far!

I like it.
My only real complaint is that it seems too eastern, I was kinda imagining a more European castle style for Mangai with the water or earth places being more eastern. (I don’t remember the names)
I guess that’s not really a complaint, more of a suggestion.

1 Like

What Inika feet? I think you got the Stars armour mixed up there.

Look again.

This foot is from Inika. The one you’re thinking of are these:

1 Like

Nah, I was thinking of those gold Stars armour bits. I was looking for something gold.

Personally, that fact that I missed the bleeding obvious should be a point in their favour, methinks, seeing as they obviously don’t stick out too much.

see @Sokoda, what i meant with my prior reply, was that with such a function, you could do a “mix and match” thing with the other sets. like if these were real sets, then kids could buy them and mix the different structures around. like taking the gun turret balcony and combining it with a structure from a water village set, or the lava scenery with an ice kingdom set. then people would have even more reasons to purchase the sets if they don’t care so much about collectibles.

This is awesome, I love the rahi.

Yeah, I am alredy trying to make these sets connectable, for example you can already connect the pier from the “Naho Boat”-set to the Mangai Defense tower.

2 Likes

Yeah, this was the one thing that stuck out to me as distracting. Adding gold makes sense, and callbacks are one thing, but it’s too jarring. He has his 2006 swords on his torso and legs, the crab on his waist, the bottom part of his 2007 mask beneath that and the top half on his knees. It’s trying too hard.

The use of the crab piece is probably the one I’m the most fine with, as it works well enough with the body shaping, but the Inika swords look slapped on and the only reason his knees have eyes is that the 2007 mask had eyes. Those pieces in particular were extremely specialized for their role on the sets. I’d say, as a rule, if you wouldn’t be able to get away with it on a moc, you wouldn’t be able to get away with it on a print. Sure, masks are often adapted into parts of armor on mocs, but they usually don’t fill in the eyes and let them blend in with everything else so they don’t stick out like a sore thumb, and no matter what you do, those Inika swords don’t work as armor.

So I agree with Payinku. One subtle callback would work better than “let’s shove in as many Jaller-related pieces in as we can.”

I get your opinion and yes I’ve put quite a lot of G1 Jaller pieces in this design, so I can understand that this may be distracting.
I personally like how this design turned out and I worked on this esspecially long, because I wanted Jallers design to be very distinct from the other Matoran.
I mainly wanted to do two things with his decals: I wanted to show Jallers position in G3 and also wanted to schow the lagacy of this character in G1.
I chose to give him a lot more detail and golden printing to show that in G3 he is a powerful person, and has a very expensive and noble or royal looking armor, thats why I wanted to give him very detailed golden add-ons with gem stones in them on my normal Matoran design, which I think makes him look very distinct from the other Matoran.

While adding the golden armor to him, I didn’t just wanted to give him some random shapes, but tried to weave in G1 pieces. I didn’t just put as many G1 pieces as possible on him. I had multiple versions of his print and decided finally to go with this one.
I like my end result of his design, but I can see your point and I will try to keep in in mind when I design another character with a similar G1 legacy and I also hope I could give you some insight why I chose to make the decals like I did.

1 Like

Gonna join the boat as well: Jaller doesn’t look natural with the gold. Maybe as a small pendant with the Inika Sword or something, but the current look isn’t great. I really like the crab piece though, as it looks like two weapon sheaths; maybe splitting it in two and creating the physical daggers might work better.

Id do a mix of both, make the swooping crab piece a high ranking armor piece for mangians as a whole and then give him smaller versions of his inika swords as weapons, perhaps use the barbed one sided chima sword with the lightsaber rod slot in the center as a placeholder or a base to build such a weapon for him?

other than that there isn’t much I can say about this that hasn’t already been said. I love the modular quality of this tower, how you superimposed the masks and tools onto the minifigs and I like turahks build. though his mount does seem a tad bulky to me

Please don’t be mad at me, I just realized Jaller has Inika swords on his torso. That’s AWESOME! What if he had a pendant with that crab who carried his Cordak from '07?

1 Like

Cool idea, that would give Jaller more charakter I think

Reminisces Inika, Piraka and Mahri brick built sets

Wow, I’m actually getting nostalgic feelings about a moc. Thats not sarcasm.

1 Like

@Sokoda I’m working on a design for @DarkMaestro’s Ignalu Arena and I was thinking of taking some aesthetics and inspiration from your moc to keep some similarities in Mangaian architecture.

Basically I’m asking, are you cool with me using some of elements your design (baring in mind you will be credited)?

1 Like