Gaaki, Bomonga, and Pouks (Canon Contest 3: Honor Guard)

I don’t have the parts (or frankly the ideas) to submit a Kaulus, so I figured I’d just sumbit my designs for the other three.

Gaaki:

Entry Photo:

Other photos:

Size comparison. I had to make a mock-up of Iruini as I don’t own the real one, but the height is accurate. As you can see, Gaaki stands just shorter than him.

Bomonga:

Entry photo:

Other Photos:

Size comparison. I used Whenua’s pieces for Bomonga, so for the comparison I had to shorten Matau’s troso to make him Whenua’s height. As you can see, Bomonga is slightly taller.

Pouks:

Entry photo:

Other photos:

Size comparison next to my previously mentioned Iruini mock-up. Pouks is slightly shorter.

I give consent for my masks to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: (YES)
I give consent for my metallic color choices to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: (YES)
I give consent for my spear tips to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: (ONLY IF NECESARRY TO PREVENT DUPLICATE SPEAR TIPS)

So, yeah. That’s it. Good luck to all.

38 Likes

It’s refreshing to see Pouks not being the one with an upside down torso (I think Bomonga is probably the best member to give it to, if any).

I think they all look pretty good, though. Good luck!

5 Likes

Nice builds! Of the three of them, Bomonga is probably my favorite.

1 Like

Bomonga thicc bro.

Pouks spiky design ironically gives me icy vibes. He may be a better Kualus than Pouks, try making his armor white? Lol

Gaaki looks really clean. The Kiina trident and Thulox/Kalmah pauldrons give off an aquatic vibe. The Votilak is heavily associated with Nidhiki but it fits with the aquatic theme here.

I do like the tough-looking Bomonga. He really gives off an Onua-like vibe.

Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

I’m glad someone tried a silver Pouks. It works surprisingly well. Bomonga’s
proportions may look a bit weird, but it kinda reminds of Onua and how it represents his strength. Gaaki is fine, like the Kiina trident use.

1 Like

In my opinion silver is the best color for Pouks. But since I’m trying to have a 1-1-1-1-1-1 color ratio, I’m having a hard time deciding on which color to give him.

1 Like

Maybe pearl dark gray?

Gaaki and Pouks look good! I’m not too keen on Bomonga’s torso flipped, however.

Maybe. It makes the most sense to me, but I don’t want to mimic the Piraka colors too much.

hmmm… didn’t think of that…
good point
Maybe copper? But not too many Bionicle parts come in copper.

Yeah. I’m personally a fan of Earth Toa being short, stocky and hunched. I realise that’s only ever been true of Onua (and to a lesser extent Whenua) in the canon sets, but it’s just an idea I like.

I think the upside down torso does look a little strange, though

That pouks is going to need a different mask, as nuva masks of any kind are disallowed.

(unless giving consent to change the masks changes that i suppose)

I know, that’s why I gave consent for them to be changed.

really liking all of these

the other upside-down torso’s aren’t bad but i think your Bomonga pulls it off the best so far

3 Likes

Good builds but as a discussion point, Pouks may not be accepted. While you did give permission to change the mask, the Nuva masks are not allowed. I wonder if this could be an addition/edit to the rules: any Nuva masks must be changed for the art portion. Although, that may be a bit hard to enforce, so to keep the banned mask rule would seem logical.

I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure that was already the understanding. That we could use any mask me want, but the banned ones would then have to be changed after the fact in the art.

2 Likes

Completely skipped over that when reading the rules. Yep, sure is.

1 Like

Thanks! I knew from the start I wanted him to have the upside-down one, so I’m glad it turned out well.

1 Like

I like gaaki a lot like its prolly favorite ones ive seen, the others are okay i guess