Gali’s Aioli (A Bionicle Short Story)

Gali’s Aioli

It was a sunny day in Ga-Koro. Hahli had been working on repairing some of the weaving equipment with Amaya, and Macku and Kai had finally put the finishing touches on the Takara pit for the upcoming celebration of the arrival of the Toa. All was peaceful, and happy. Even the Rahi seemed contented. Then came the last item that needed to be done: preparing a feast fit for the Toa they were honoring.

It was not hard to find cooks in Ga-Koro. Many of the Matoran were great at cookery, especially those who had experience trading. But even Hahli knew that she was a poor cook at best, having even managed to ignite part of her hut the last time she tried baking. So she determined to try to get some help. She had been assigned to make a dish called aioli, a task that should have been within even her limited skills. First, Hahli made a list of ingredients. She needed garlic, salt, some citrus fruit juice, and eggs.

The real problem she could see was the eggs. There had been no eggs available since the Bohrok invasion. Even the traders were out at the moment. But Amaya knew of a spot that was certain to have eggs.

“It’s right here, on this island,” said Amaya, pointing to a small island in Naho Bay.

“There is a flock of Rahi birds that roost there. They should have some eggs that you can take. And since you were able to fix that snarl in the loom, I’ll even pay your passage on the ferry!”

Hahli smiled as her friend handed her a padded satchel and some widgets.

“If I can, I’ll save some eggs for you, Amaya!”

Soon, she was riding in the prow of a brightly painted boat towards the island, feeling the spray on her mask and the wind swirling about.

“I’ll pay you thirty widgets for any extra eggs you have,” Pelagia said. “I haven’t had any in quite a while!”

She slowed the boat’s engine as they neared the island. Then she swung a rope around a nearby rock, mooring the boat in place. Hahli stepped onto the shore. It was quiet, save for the sound of waves and the wind.

“Is this the right place?” she asked.

“There should be Rahi here.”

“I was just wondering about that,” Pelagia said. “It’s rather eerie here.”

Hahli continued up the beach. There were several nests, from which she took several eggs. She placed them in Amaya’s satchel, and put them in the boat.

“I’m just going to check out that hill,” she said. It was strange that there should be nests, but no birds. Even stranger were the tracks on the side of the hill. They were wide and bowl-like, surrounded by undisturbed grass.

Hahli climbed the hill, looking around nervously. Then, as she reached the top, she heard a noise. It came again: a mechanical whirring, like a wind-up mechanism let go. Hahli leaped into the lower branches of a tree as two objects rolled past: Gahlok!

Down below, Pelagia unmoored the boat, and grabbed a spear from under the seat. Though this will do little against Bohrok, she thought, it will at least hold them off for a while.

The two Bohrok rolled down at high speed, smashing anything in their path. Hahli, from her perch in the tree, saw them turn towards the boat.

I have to do something, she thought. She turned her head, and saw the stone arch near the landing.

If I could drop that on them…

Hahli ran as fast as she could. Though she was a decent Kolhii player, the sand slowed her down a little. She could see Pelagia holding a spear, her Akaku glinting in the sun. She dodged around an outcrop of rock, and saw what she’d been looking for: a large, loose rock. Hahli shoved it with all of her strength. It began sliding, then turning. She let it go and watched as it fell, hitting the arch just before the Bohrok reached it. They had no time to avoid the shower of stone that shattered their Krana.

Hahli stood still, breathing heavily.

I did it. I killed two Bohrok with one stone.

She laughed suddenly, at the ridiculous thought. I, a weaver’s assistant, have done something heroic. But why- what- ?

As she sat at the feast that night, Hahli wondered. Had she truly been heroic? Had she even been right in going to the island? Nearby, Pelagia was telling Gali of the feat Hahli had achieved.

“It is the only time I’ve ever seen something like this happen! Well, except for the battle with Nuparu’s inventions.”

Gali smiled. Standing, she asked, “Who made this wonderful aioli? It is delicious!”

Hahli stood up.

“It is I, noble Gali. And I thank you for your gracious praise.”

Gali turned to Hahli.

“Did you actually kill two Bohrok today to save Pelagia?”

“I did,” Hahli replied. “But I’m afraid that it was my fault that we were attacked. It was my suggestion that we went to the island.”

“Don’t worry, little one,” said Kopaka suddenly. “You have shown yourself to be a hero by the fact that you would take the blame, even though it were no fault of your own.”

“Then,” said Hahli, “a toast to Mata Nui and the six Toa! Long May they fight against the darkness of Makuta!”

In a cavern deep below, deeper than the Mangai volcano, a figure moved. Green mist swirled around it, cloaking its form. Then all was darkness again…

2 Likes

ooo very cool - feels like an officail short story!
like from tales of the masks!!

Ooh this is pretty good. I like how the characters are conveyed

Thank you! I was “inspired” to use the title after hearing of a very poorly inspired story called Gali Aioli. No clue who wrote that one, as I never read it, but I did hear that that story was inappropriate; which inspired me to make a good story with (almost) the same title.

Thanks for the praise! I’m sure my writing can be improved, but I’m very glad that others are enjoying it. Thank you again for reading this!

1 Like