Good and Bad uses of Gimmicks

Let’s talk Gimmicks
A Gimmick is used to sell Products
Like Amiibos since they are collectable and add something new to the game such as better abilities or new ways to play

Or the bad ones such as the Wii U still using Motion controls and adding another Gimmick with dual screen Functionality

Why don’t we talk about some good and bad ones

6 Likes

Skylanders, angry birds, and stuff like that where you buy physical things for a video game. i don’t like this gimmick because usually the models do nothing other than look cool. except for lego dimensions, cos well, legos. and the fact they still act as lego bricks.

4 Likes

Bionicle 2007 had dreadful gimmicks.
While Bionicle 2008 had a pretty good thing going in the first half of it.

1 Like

I can fire all 6 rounds of a Cordak Blaster.
/brag

9 Likes

Another bad state of Gimmicks was that one time JMP Creative CEO decided to do a Houdini style escape attempt but got Second decree rope burn

Uhh… what does that have anything to do with gimmicks…?

4 Likes

I just looked up 10 Marketing Gimmicks gone wrong and that is what I found http://www.businessinsurance.org/10-marketing-gimmicks-gone-wrong/

21 Likes

I feel like, for most people on the boards, gimmicks are less “publicity stunts” and more “tangible items or functions in a toy or product.”

4 Likes

Bad Gimmicks?
The spinning gun arm, and weird beast armour on Voyager Beast Wars Shockwave.

Well at least to me…

5 Likes

Squid Launcers are quite possibly the worst gimmick of Bionicle.

5 Likes

I never though the Transformers Cybertron Cyber-Key gimmick worked very well.

How about all of these?

How about toys that make sparks eh?

I disagree strongly with this opinion.

4 Likes

To be fair on the original Wii the motion controls worked pretty badly.

I always thought all the Transformers Dark of the Moon toys had way worse gimmicks.

4 Likes

Hey! I had one of those when I was a kid!
(No I’m not thirty, I got it from Goodwill lel)

2 Likes

I thought it was alright

though when I was little I refused to lose keys because I thought the others could not go into other TF slots

1 Like