Greg Farshtey potentially laid off by LEGO

Finally, we can move on.

1 Like

very sad, prob the darkest day for bionicle fans since g1 cancellation. cant imagine the contests continuing, would love it but im already a pessimist so i know where to place my bets. we might be able to squeeze one or maybe two in before his leaving if the site/community can move efficiently. hope we could at least do tuyet. just a real shame for lego to let go of one of their best assets, just proof that these days is about quantity over quality.

4 Likes

I know it might just be me, but I feel like this shouldnā€™t be the end of the contests. I never cared that they were ā€œcanonā€ contests. Iā€™ve always found the idea of applying the word canon (originally a term applied to religious law and doctrine) to something as purely imaginary as Bionicle a little ridiculous. Bionicle lives in my mind, and in all of yours, and while itā€™s nice that Lego created content for us, I never felt like I needed their stamp of approval for anything. The canon contests have been the biggest source of excitement in the Bionicle community in years and the source of some of the best Bionicle-themed MOCs in ages, and by and large it was fans who did most of the work, creating, moderating, etc. I think weā€™re just punishing ourselves if we give that up for such an arbitrary reason. Sure, whatever, canon is what unifies us, almost like a common language, so we can have a community at all - I donā€™t care. I know Iā€™m venting, but I donā€™t see any reason to stop just because Greg wonā€™t happen to say ā€œOKā€

Sigh.

Just a thought, donā€™t know if he would, but could Greg preemptively canonize the winners of contests that have been informally announced, e.g. Tuyet, but which havenā€™t actually taken place yet?

11 Likes

I agree with Broccoli, we donā€™t necessarily have to give up on the contests as a whole, just the canon part. We could just treat the winners as a widespread fanon. People who donā€™t accept it, probably werenā€™t going to accept the winners anyways. Itā€™s a bit of a pipe dream, but I would be okay with this.

9 Likes

Dark709 meets gregf
Bye Greg.

6 Likes

This. I doubt Lego even cares about G1 BIONICLE any more. Greg should be allowed to do what he wishes. Furthermore, Iā€™d be more than willing to set up a sort of kickstarter to help Greg if he needs it. We owe him that much.

6 Likes

Now this seems quite reasonable to me. I mean, if LEGO likely will never produce any more Bionicle sets, (except for a possible 90th anniversary set), they shouldnā€™t have a problem with the community finishing their incomplete story for G1, and having a few contests before itā€™s all done for. I canā€™t see them actually suing Greg about continuing the canonization contests because he is, quite literally, their only source of knowledge for any of these characters. They donā€™t have anyone else that I know of who could claim to be an expert on any of these characters, especially as Greg made much of the story by himself. All in all, heā€™s really their only resource available to finish any of this, and having a lawsuit over the copyright and trademark stuff would put LEGO in a bad position. You can imagine the headlines: ā€œLEGO sues former storywriter for finishing story for fanbase because of overwhelming demand.ā€ It would not give LEGO any good publicity if they did sue Greg for having unofficial canonization contests, because it would make LEGO appear petty and foolish.

3 Likes

Have I got news for you bud

6 Likes

What news?

Castle won bro :skull:

3 Likes

Well, thatā€™s nice as well!

This fandom shall rot and wither away?
No!
Come with solution,friends?

2 Likes

:skull:
of course it did

2 Likes

Yeah, go look at @Enbeanie . Heā€™s just a skeleton now.

2 Likes

Well, I hope the rumored Tahu set in 2023 delivers

1 Like

Promised by who?

1 Like

Ok maybe that word wasnā€™t the best to use there, but there are rumors circulating about a new Tahu promotional set in 2023

Now we can confirm it was true ~

4 Likes