Gundam J-17 Zaku Custom

So since this last Thursday I’ve been at my parents place housesitting and watching the dogs so I had bought some Gunpla to keep me occupied. One of them was a zaku char that I wanted to give a beat up custom color scheme to so here ya go.

Since I’ve got no excuse not too I tried some outdoor shots with the suit.

As stated I wanted it to look new but still look like it’s been in a few good brawls. And it’s hard to see in there but yes I did add a pink eye in there like on the kit.

17 Likes

Pretty neat. The silver looks really textured tho, and doesn’t look the best.

This is really awesome! I’m just getting into model painting myself, actually. Could you give me any tips? If it helps, this is the one I’m going to paint:

1 Like

Well firstly it’s obviously easier when it’s not built or the armor is easier to remove. I’d also recommend trying to map out a color scheme before so you don’t do something and can’t change your mind afterwards.

Now as a personal tip if you have extra stickers and decals those can add details to the kit. The black spots and number 3s here are spares from a blue destiny and 2 bearguys.

Okay, thanks!

Maybe ask @Ghosty as he paints very well.

This paint job is rather nice. Silver is glorious in color.

1 Like

Overall this actually seems like a pretty good job, althought the rough/rugged silver parts don’t look too good IMO

eh idk man, i’ve only painted a gunpla once
@Joe seems to be better than me, tbh you should ask him

2 Likes

ohey thanks

Okay, so, @Khalsa721, this looks pretty alright for a first attempt, but it’s got a few issues. The silver parts aren’t very even, and look a bit like tin foil in how they sorta have “crinkles” in the paint. I’d recommend spray painting these parts if that is not what you did. Masking would be your best friend with this. The yellow looks great, no real problems with that, but it seems you overused it in the pegs connecting the forearm armor, as it looks like they’re so tight they can close that seam line completely.

This is what I’m referring to.

The 03 decal on the back should also probably be straighter.

The yellow on this is great, but the silver could use some work, and I’d recommend being careful about painting over tight connection points.

3 Likes

Thanks for the tips. This is only my second custom so I’m not that good yet. Luckily I just got a gm kit for my saitama Gundam so I’ll try these out.

2 Likes