Hagah, Avohkii and Ukiyo (BIONICLE Canon Contest #3: Honor Guard, Part 2)

This image looks like a JoJo reference

3 Likes

@JustinArtCheng Thanks! Your entry is awesome! I really like the pose and the mask! The art style is distinctive!

@Rukah @Winger @synonymforexpd @imall543 @Kodiak Thanks a lot! :grinning:

@Voxovan @Voyager One of my inspiration is the Olympic poster painted by Hirohiko Araki. The color and composition are fantastic. I really love it. In addition, he is very good at depicting weird but attractive pose, which is the other thing I learned.

@vootcaboot That is mainly for the balance within the team. If a toa himself is dark, I tend to give him shiny armor, to avoid him being too inconspicuous. If he has light color, like the ko-toa, then give him dark armor so that he does not stand out in the team.

@Invader_Naj Thanks for reminding me!! I re-uploaded the picture, and it should be less blurry now.

@Crunchy Hey Crunchy, you are of the first people I know to create bionicle artworks! I made it as if it’s a poster or a cover, and I did all the things as detailed as I could. I hope people can enjoy every little scene in the poster and analyze the connection between them with great interest.
I know part of the design of this Gakki mask is from your old Helryx art. This mask is my favorite fan-made mask, and I really want it to be canon!

5 Likes

Top 2 at the moment! The color choices are top notch, especially metallic green Bomonga :+1:

1 Like

Thanks bro! The contrast between green Bomonga and purple sky is one of the most satisfying parts for me, I tried all kinds of purple and green then find my favorite couple.

3 Likes

Is this a Tron reference?

6 Likes

Yes, together with these in movie Mask of Light.

That is what I imagine it looks like when mask of light is activated.

There are still some interesting references from classic movies and anime in my artwork, I am still waiting for someone to find them out. :laughing:

4 Likes

This is beautiful.

1 Like

Hmm, I’m not sure about the green armor on Bomonga. It’s not too shabby, but it looks an awful lot like Lesovikk in the picture. The other three are great, though! I really like the Hagah vs. Visorak scenario, too. Gaaki does feel a little incomplete without her shield, but otherwise she, Pouks, and Kualas look very neat.

1 Like

Sorry for the late reply.
@Cordax Thanks! :smiley:
@MooCowsRock Thanks bro!
You are right that Bomonga looks like Lesovikk in my painting. I believe the distinction between metallic green and lime in toys will be more obvious.
In addition, think of it this way: since toa Hagah’s Kanohi were in the shape of masks worn by past heroes, maybe Bomonga’s mask and appearance are based on Lesovikk, the leader of first toa team.

At first, my Gaaki had a shield in her left hand, but I found it a bit out of balance of composition and blocked pouks’s spear.
A shield on her back is too bulky, because I want her to look elegant and agile.
I also tried a scaled-down shield, and it didn’t work very well.

2 Likes

As a contest auditor, I have to bring up all these entries and look close at them, and I have to say: I never really appreciated the amount of detail put into this. Like, Norik is so small in the center, but when I zoom in I can see he’s just as fleshed out as the rest. Even the little visorak way in the back are so detailed you can almost make out specific breeds! That is fantastic, and I can’t imagine how long it took to draw.

Edit: this is NOT intended as an official approval post, to be clear. Just a personal opinion

4 Likes

Thank you so much for entering! Unfortunately, we’ve detected an issue regarding adherence to the contest rules. We noticed both Gaaki and Bomonga are missing their shields. As per the rules;

As noted in other entries with similar issues, you are allowed to place the shields on their backs (as you have noted that Gaaki having the shield in her hand would obscure Pouks’ spear tip). It does not have to be fully shown, just an indication that the character has one, so part of the shield poking out over Bomonga’s back would suffice.

In addition, it has been decided that for this contest, all six Toa must be fully equipped. As such, Norik needs to have a shield and spear. These can be attached to the character’s back, similar to what you’ve done with Bomonga.

If you could please add the shields and spear to your entry within the next seven days, it’ll be fully accepted and move on to the polls!

1 Like

Copy that. thank you! I will modify it after this Wednesday. In addition, I would like to ask if I can make some other changes besides adding shields and spears, such as making some color changes.

2 Likes

As detailed more extensively in this response here, while we would are not allowing any more significant changes to any of the entries, we may accept more minor ones if detailed to us ahead of time.

What is it you would like changed?

Hello @ToaVictor ,
I am here to notify you of the fact that you have entered the final day of the period for making the requested changes. Please make sure to post them in time.
If you know you won’t be able to make it and need more time, please sent us a PM and we can discuss an extension.

ToaKebaka

1 Like

Sorry for my late response!
I’ve been so busy that I’ve been in the lab for weeks, so I don’t have much time. To make matters worse, I mistakenly deleted several layers of my original painting, which made it difficult to be restored.
Could I apply for a two-day extension? If I still haven’t updated the picture after that, then you can regard me as quitting.
I hope this will not affect the progress of the contest too much. I am very sorry for the inconvenience.

4 Likes

Thank you for the response! We will discuss the extension and get back to you shortly.

I add the shields and spear, check it out please:)

6 Likes

Looks like the extension is not needed after all. Thank you for making the requested changes.

4 Likes

Of all the entrants, this had my favorite color split, being the only 1-1-1-1-1-1 that had a blue Pouks.

2 Likes

I’m a big fan of blue Pouks, and a blue toa of stone with a green toa of earth can be a weird but cool couple. No matter what the canon is, I will insist on this color split for my toys.:grinning:

2 Likes