Hahli Mahri, Re-Revamped/UCS Edition [99% WIP]

Today is Bionicle Day! In light of that, I felt it was an appropriate time to show off one of my more recent MOCs, and the first independently-posted one since the end of my old MOC topic. Unfortunately, of the two options, one has to wait for a specific later date, and the other is jussst shy of being complete, but still not quite there. Ultimately, though, I felt the latter made more sense; despite some issues that have yet to be ironed out, is overall in a good enough condition to be worth posting. And so without further ado, I present: Hahli Mahri!

Hahli Mahri: Ultimate Collector’s Set Edition

So, here she is, the revamp of a revamp. (If you don’t know what I’m talking about, I’ll refer you to this post in my old MOC topic.) Like I said, there’s a few spots that are still missing decorative pieces, and some other pieces that I want to get in a more suitable color; those will have to wait until I can afford to put in a Bricklink order, unfortunately. Still, for the most part I’m fairly satisfied with where she’s at, and this feels like a massive improvement over my original attempt to update her.

It may be somewhat difficult to see in this light, but she has a working gear function using the 2015 Gearbox.

One downside, as you can see here, is that the size of her fins means she’s weighed down considerably in back; while she can stand under her own power, she has to lean a fair ways forward to do so. Unfortunately her legs also aren’t as stable as I’d like (even with the double pair of 2006 Friction Pumps supporting them) so I may have to experiment further to figure out how to fix that, or consider adding heel-spurs like the ones the original revamp had.

Unfortunately the Nyran shot reveals the main area where her incompleteness becomes quite clear; while her upper back is fairly solid, (and you’ll note the wheel at the top, which powers the gear function) her lower torso is a different story. I know roughly which pieces I need to finish that up, but again I’ll need to bricklink for them; though admittedly even aside from that, I feel like the friction-pumps that support her fins need a better connection to her torso that may require some reworking beneath the hood.

She’s also absolutely gigantic, standing twice the height of a standard Toa Metru, and juuust slightly taller than the not-insignificant JTO Makuta. (Though I imagine that the MoUP would make up the difference if I had it) While it means she doesn’t exactly scale with any of the G1 sets, I do like the extra level of detail it allows for. Unlike my old Titan-scale MOCs, where I was building large for the sake of building large, I genuinely didn’t try to make Hahli this big; it just happened naturally as I did my best to make her proportions as good and consistent as I could get them.

I’ll save a more detailed look at her build and each section of it for when I have made those final changes. Despite being technically incomplete, though, I hope that this was still a cool first look at her; this is a design I am rather happy with on the whole, and despite turning out rather larger than I originally intended, I feel like it uses that size much better than the older revamp. Whether this is UCS-worthy, though, I leave to your discretion; comments and feedback would be very much appreciated.

Happy Bionicle Day!

40 Likes

Goals:

• Replace Black armor plates on shins with Gunmetal or Metru Blue versions.
  • Replace Black armor plates on sides of upper torso with Metru Blue versions.
  • Replace Black metru shoulder armor in thighs with Metru Blue versions
  • Replace Black slizer foot on front of torso with Metru Blue version?
  • Add Gunmetal armor plates to back of skirt.
  • Add Metru Blue system fins to side-backs of skirt.
  • Add friction extenders to shoulder ball-joints.
  • Add Trans-Green bohrok eyes to various points on body, particularly the base of the fins.
  • Rework internals of lower-back torso.
  • Minimal reworks to legs and/or feet for improved stability.
  • Replace Inika harpoon piece with custom-built version, preferably with an included function of some sort.
  • Replace glatorian hand piece with custom-built articulated version.
  • Improve custom hand.
  • Improve Protosteel Talons
  • Switch Metru Blue and Gunmetal Nuva Shoulder Pieces.
6 Likes

The wings could be improved upon, but otherwise, the MOC looks pretty nice.

1 Like

I really like the color scheme, the old pearl dark grey looks way better with dark blue and lime green than the silver that was included with the set. I like the aesthetic of the feet, they look somewhat webbed and industrial.

cool stuff

1 Like

Looks great!

1 Like

That’s a very rectangular MOC ya got there. Not a fan of this MOC, but there’s a few parts I like, namely the foot and wing designs.

1 Like

Gundam vibes. I love her.

1 Like

Very chonky, but that’s fine-really makes her look kickbutt. My suggestion: switch the Nuva shoulder pads on the wings with the gunmetal ones on the legs-that way it keep the wings more entirely metal and her legs cleaner looking.

1 Like

So here’s a substantial update! While I’m still in the process of tweaking things with her arms, legs, and torso, I did finally get around to giving her a custom-built Laser Harpoon that wouldn’t look so dinky next to everything else.

Here it is on its own, along with the custom hand it’s designed to fit with. The hand is still a work in progress, clearly, but it works well enough for the time being.

Here’s a comparison with the original singular piece; I think I did a decent job of upscaling it fairly faithfully, but I definitely took some design liberties to try to make the whole thing flow a bit better.

Also, there’s an optional Bayonet mode I unintentionally made possible…

On the other side, there’s a super simple trigger mechanism; I like to imagine it closes a pneumatic seal to fire the topside harpoons.

It of course has back storage, and surprisingly doesn’t get in the way of her fins nearly as much as I was afraid it would. It’s still not the most comfortable fit, to be fair, but I won’t complain. Theoretically she should also be able to actually reach back here to grab it, though it may be a little bit awkward with the lack of inward-rotating elbows.

Hahli the Barbarian, fully armed. Now I just need to finish up the detail-work and tweaks, and she’ll be good to go.

5 Likes

The fins, you mean? What would you suggest?
And thanks!

Sweet! The color scheme change was one of my big goals with this, and I’m happy to hear it paid off :smiley:
And yeah, I still want to add a bit more to the feet to make that webbed feeling stronger if possible, but I’m glad that you can already see it ^^

Thank you!

Yeah, the top half of the torso definitely wound up looking rather boxy, for better or worse. That was partially intentional, to give the impression of a bulky diving suit or something, but I totally understand if the look doesn’t work for everyone. Glad you like the fins, though!

I’m glad :smiley:
And ooh, that’s a good thought, thank you! Should hopefully help keep the legs from getting drowned in gunmetal as well, so I think I’ll go do that right now.

1 Like

The gear function in the fins is awesome, and the build as a whole looks pretty cool. The lack of distinct neck is troubling, though. You may have succeeded too much in making her well-armored.

1 Like

Thank you! And yeah, that’s a good point, now that you mention it I can’t unsee it. I may have to use a friction extender to bump her head just a tad higher…

As I always say, if you have a look you want to go for but it doesn’t come across right, you can fix that by making the look more obvious.

1 Like