Harry Styles

Hold the phone, everyone. Don’t come at me yet.

Screw 1D, but this guy’s solo album is amazing. I mean, listen to this.

It’s like someone smashed David Bowie and and The Beatles together, and no one told them it was the 21st century. This album is straight outta the rock ‘n’ roll 70’s. It makes me wanna pick up the old Squier Strat and bend some notes. Seriously. Give it a listen if you like old rock.

1 Like

This is what came to mind when I saw Harry Styles.

7 Likes

I at first thought it sounded like a mash between modern pop and 90s boy bands.

Yeah the first part of the song is a little weird but then it gets good.

I hate to be ‘that guy’, but this shares very little with rock music. If anything, the vocals sound like a loose imitation of 60s pop/rock, but stylistically it is very different. Dunno why you would recommend it to people who like ““old rock””, it combines some of the weakest features of music from the late 60s and mid 70s with the general lack of focus of modern pop. The only thing that sets it apart from other modern songs is that he’s using an actual guitar instead of solely electronic noises.

2 Likes

While that song in particular probably doesn’t really convey what I’m trying to express well, I’m saying the overall work reminds me of “old rock.” Personally, I haven’t listened to a billion old rock albums, I’m talking about the ones I’m familiar with. If you’re thinking of Led Zeppelin, The Stones, or Guns N‘ Roses, you’re probably right. But the sound I’m comparing this to is specifically the later Beatles albums, some Queen, and The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust… etc.

Also, I find this album to share nothing in particular with the rest of pop at the moment, except maybe the piano chords on “Sign of The Times.” This sounds nothing like Bruno Mars, Dua Lipa, Taylor, or any other pop artist I can think of. And thank the Maker for that. I’m so tired of the same electronic sounds and trap hi-hats being played over and over, and going platinum. To me, this album felt like a breath of fresh air.

I love to trash on Harry Styles but he’s honestly one of the few honest-to-goodness pop stars out there that is genuinely talented in a variety of genres.

I could go on for quite a while about this, considering at my job we run both a “Best Rock” station and a “Top 40 Pop” Station and while we obviously spin Styles on the Pop station, there have been the occasional serious discussion about spinning stuff like Kiwi on The Bear.

THAT BEING SAID if you think this is a breath of fresh air on the radio waves, muh boi do I have a LIST of bands for you to look into XD

~Hawkeye

3 Likes