Have you ever lost a save file?

I played a lot of Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2012) when it was new, and one day, while I was playing the multiplayer, it completely froze, and I had to turn off my console to get it to respond. It was getting late anyway, so I ejected the disc and went to bed. The next time I tried to play, it made me watch the opening cutscene again, and then put me in the tutorial. I tried to leave, when I realized all my missions were gone. All my cars were gone. Everything was gone. I can only assume the game was autosaving when I had to turn it off, and interrupting the save corrupted my file. It didn’t take that long to earn everything back, but I was still really upset about it.

My Smash Bros. 3DS save was corrupted a while ago, too. It wasn’t a huge deal, because all I really needed to earn back were the characters, but my trophy collection, man…

Have you ever lost a save? Share your sob stories here!

1 Like

I remember a few years back I was playing “Lego Battles Ninjago”. One day when I reopened the game I found out that my save had been corrupted.

I lost my save for Zoids:Legacy. It was when gameboy advance games still used batteries and I lost my save data right at the end and couldn’t replay coz it wouldn’t save anymore. How could life be so unfair!!

1 Like

I can think of one instance off the top of my head. My family’s computer was acting up one day, either due to a virus or something else, but needless to say it was utterly screwed up. I don’t know the exact details of what went down, but a lot of files, applications, etc ended up having to be deleted to get the computer running again. Now I’d just so happened to have Minecraft on that computer and was completely shocked to find all of my worlds had been deleted off the face of the earth when I got home some day during this fiasco. 3 years of creations, a couple I’d been meaning to tweak at, gone. I mean, it’s nothing I’ll loose sleep over; I don’t play the game much at all, but it was unfortunate to think that certain structures I’d enjoyed making could no longer be viewed.

2 Likes

I have lost many, yet the one I regret most was a file from Super Paper Mario.
I was at 8-4, and I had completed the first pit of 100 trials :frowning:

Back when I had my PS2, I was trying to 100% Lego Star Wars the original Trilogy. I was at about 90% or something one day. I still don’t know why but the data just corrupted the next day and I could never access it again.

3 Likes

While I’ve never lost one, I have deleted many belonging to friends of mine

Most of the games I play are on the computer, so I don’t need to worry about save files often. But I have lost a lot of progress from The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, although that’s because I was playing it on my Wii and I didn’t have a GameCube save card. And when I say a lot, I mean the first time you go to the Forsaken Fortress. Which is at the very beginning of the game. I also accidentally deleted my save-file for Kirby: Planet Robobot. Which was at 90% or something.

2 Likes

I used to play a lot of Fighting Force 2 and Tomb Raider 2 back in my PS1 days, and one fateful afternoon, I removed the memory card to clean the console or something and placed it inside one of my pockets for safekeeping. The next day, my mom found it in the washing machine after doing a load of laundry, and when it eventually dried out, none of the save files were present at all.
More recently, I was playing Horizon: Zero Dawn, and I purposely deleted all of my saves and started over again, simply because I thought I accidentally sold the Hunter’s Bow, which you can’t buy back from the merchants. Turns out, the Digital Deluxe Edition (which I own) replaces it completely with one of their DLC bows, so I never actually possessed it in the first place. I was about Level 30 or so, had the majority of the weapons and outfits, and unlocked about 80% of the in-game map. Needless to say, I wasn’t very happy.

1 Like

I have lost all of my files in everything on my computer 3 times.
My computer used to be the family computer mainly belonging to me, I was the one who used it the most and knew how to manage everything which was why. Although there was one particular person in my house who didn’t need it because she had her own computer, a Chromebook. One day she wanted to use the computer for no reason, I told her no but my parents made me let her. The next day I wanted to go on to check something (I forgot what) but none of my programs would open. She downloaded a virus. I ended up being forced to reset my entire computer. The second time was the same case, except this time I smashed her Chromebook and reset my computer. The 3rd time was just a hard drive crash though, so I just had to get a new one.

And that’s why I now back everything up.

1 Like

yes, good lord I lost a mass effect 2 save file and almost had a heart attack

thank god the game is so good that I didn’t mind replaying what I’d lost

2 Likes

When i was 8 years old I was playing The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion, I had a level 25 wood elf in full dedric armor. I was in one of the planes of oblivion running across a bridge between towers and fell, I went to reload a save as the game had auto saved as I left the tower… Well I ended up saving over it instead like an idiot so I lost my character, because every time I died it reloaded my last save, which was me falling off the bridge and dying…

3 Likes

I played the first fallout and got myself all the way to the Cathedral to fight the Master.

All 10 of the saves I had got corrupted for no reason.

1 Like

the game asks you 3 times if you’re sure
how did you even do that

–

I remember I deleted my 100% file for Bionicle Heroes because I was moving my mouse too fast, when I was like 7 or 8. I had a total freakout and made my dad play back to a certain point. I was a terrible child lmao

1 Like

Not paying attention, that’s how.

Oh yes, I certainly have.

Once my PS3 froze when I was playing Oblivion, and it corrupted my entire save. Luckily I did have an autosave that was not corrupted, so my entire character wasn’t thrown to waste.

I also lost my save file for Skyrim as well (I’m seeing a common thread here). The game creates a save file for when you start a new game and is about to create your character (if I remember correctly, it’s been years since I last played it). If you then save over that particular file, it will override itself if you create a new character (which is what I did). Luckily I only lost 20 hours of gameplay.

Then there was a close call with Lego Star Wars: The Force Awakens, where the entire game crashed and when I restarted the save file was gone. Thanks to PS+ however I still had a save on the cloud so I could download it, I did have to regain a few golden bricks but all things considered that was not too bad.

It’s probably happen a few more times, but those are the only ones I can think of right now. I did however used to manually delete save files whenever I felt like restarting the game for some reason.

1 Like

I came this close to losing a save file in Dark Souls. I accidentally killed one of the NPCs and panicked, so I tried to reload my save file. This did corrupt the save, but fortunately I had an active backup ready, so I only ended up losing about 30 total minutes of gameplay (the reason for it being so low is that I installed a mod that creates backups of my files at the ready)

1 Like

One time, I was playing Mario Vs. Donkey Kong Miniland Mayhem, I think, and I let my cousin play it. I said to him, “I’m going downstairs to build Bionicles. Just please, please don’t press the delete button!” He responded with, “why?” He said “why” way too many times back then. I couldn’t think of a definition for the word “delete” because we were too young. I remember saying, “Just don’t. Ok?” Keep in mind that I had 100% on that game.

I came back upstairs, and you probably know what happened if you paid attention to what topic this is in.

3 Likes