Helryx Canister Design

Good choice taking resin ones. They always look super smooth.

Now onto the main thing the canister. I like the concept of designing a canister for Helryx. The lid design you used as a “matt” for the prints is pretty cool I can already see how i would use that to attach the Kanohi.

How I understand it the canister will actually be made. Will it be resin printed or something similar?

1 Like

We hold this truth to be self evident.

4 Likes

They were definitely a stroke of genius :star_struck: Credit to Creative Mechanics for printing them for me.

Thank you! I really want the mask to be displayed on the canister somehow, since 1) this is probably going to be used as a display item and 2) the mask was part of the canon contest (which this is meant to celebrate)
Yes, the current plan is a resin print as well. I actually just finished up the CAD models for the 3 prototype lids. Once these are printed a more refined model will be made for the final design :smiley:

3 Likes

What will be the size of the lids? Will it fit the Metru canister? If that would be the case would you maybe give us the Lid as a model for printing or will it stay an exclusive for

?

1 Like

I had no idea someone was actually working on something like this, but this is certainly an interesting project and I’m very excited to see how far it goes!

For what its worth (might be irrelevant in a few days, pending armour colour confirmation… lol) I’ve actually put a good bit of thought into the canisters for the Hagah and did some rough mockups of how they could look if that’d be of interest to you:

4 Likes

It is similar in size but a tad bit smaller. I have decided that this canister set will not be exclusive but available for sale (stay tuned :face_with_monocle:)

This post is great! Going to be using it as inspiration for sure. Thank you for the kind words! :pray:

7 Likes

Helryx Canister Design Update #5!
Finally, we are nearing the end! Without further delay, here is another update!

Here are the final 3 concepts from which the canister will be formed, in order of least to most favorited by me (all of these revolve around the idea of being able to display the Mask of Psychometry with the lid):

1.) Dome

This concept stays fairly basic, while adding some design elements to make the shape a bit more interesting.

It has potential, and definitely is the most similar to the mata canisters of old.

2.) Square

This concept really tries to use sharp lines and shapes to give a ‘foundational feel’ to this canister, tying into the theme of the backstory of Helryx.

I am particularly fond of some of the shaping potential of the sketches, and it is definitely a unique shape for a canister lid.

3.) Kini-Nui

This design is by far my favorite of the 3. I love the shaping of this design, and I feel the potential to display the mask is very exciting.

I personally think that the Kini-Nui ties into the character of Helryx very well, and looks much more like a canister that would fit her.

I’m pretty excited to finally :upside_down_face: see this coming together! I have had lots of fun working on this project, and I cannot wait to get to a final product. Please let me know your thoughts!

NOTE - please check my Instagram for a video shot of each of these concepts; I think it adds a little more depth than text and images :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ll be back with another update very soon! :eyes:

HM

8 Likes

My favourite concept is the square one. The cylinder design is a classic, but I like the uniqueness of the angular square one.

However, there’s one part about the square design that I’m hesitant on: does the entire canister have a square profile, or is it just a square lid on a round canister? Some of the concept images look like they have a cylindrical body, while others look square.

I would definitely prefer a square body.

(Also, out of the the square designs, this one is my favourite:

)

7 Likes

ooh this looks pretty cool

1 Like

The best part about this project is it’s fully disconnected from any other existing groups or projects - no crutches, no bias, just a really cool passion project. I miss those days in the Bionicle community where it wasn’t all about taking sides and fighting other organizations, or one major group controlling the rest, and to that end I say godspeed, HumbleMatoran.

This right here: this is the community.

6 Likes

malicious jealousy intensifies
Why cant Youuuuuuuu PIck mEee
(i can’t draw that well, and i only have a gorast so this feels a little unfair, but that’s just my ego)

At the stage of this sketch I hadn’t decided yet, and to be honest in CAD (which is what I am currently building in) each are very possible.

Wow, I don’t even know what to say. Reading this comment honestly made my day. This project has taken a long time and required learning a few new skills, but comments like this really make it worth it. Thank you so much for your kind words :slightly_smiling_face: :pray: :handshake:

Helryx Canister Design mini-update 6
Here are resin 3D-prints based on the 3 lid designs (finally have my own resin printer :grin:)

Kini-Nui:

Square:

Dome:

Very happy with the resin print quality. The Helryx Set is almost here!

HM

EDITED FOR DOUBLE POST - Spiderus Prime

7 Likes

With it printed, I have to say I’m equally a fan of that Kini Nui design. I wasn’t so sure when I saw it on paper, but here - it’s perfect.

3 Likes

Looks pretty nice!

There’s going to be a translucent portion in the center for displaying the mask, correct?

Pick you… for what?

1 Like

getttting one SiLly bOy
(i submitted nothing, yet i am salty i won’t be picked because my drawings are ■■■■ and i only have a broken gorast)
Truly, i am the lowest trash-scum.

I like the Kini Nui one and also the dome.

2 Likes

With the square lid, would it be a screw-on lid, like the Mata canisters, or would it be a snap-on lid, like the Inika or Knight’s Kingdom canisters?

4 Likes

Helryx Canister Design Final Update!

Well folks, here we are! This has been a long time coming and I am so glad to have a finished Helryx set I am very proud of.

A few details about the canister:

This canister is resin printed in a translucent light blue, and I could not be happier with how this turned out. It uses a pretty basic threading system (very similar to the mata canisters) to attach the lid to the body.

The sleeve features several things, including the official artwork, official moc, and a few other things. Currently the plan is to use some spray adhesive to attach it, although this one is attached using tape.

The mask on this particular model is also a resin print, and painted using spray paint that has been color-matched to mata blue (or at least extremely close).

In the background you can see a few things as well. The poster is laminated, and flanked by spiral bound color-printed instructions on the right and a spiral-bound artbook on the left, which gives some details about the Helryx and her process of canonization.

I always wanted this to feel like an actual set of Helryx, like we were getting a new Bionicle set after so long. I think it is safe to say that I have achieved this goal and for that I am very happy. I cannot thank you all enough for the constant feedback that has helped me design this set. I will probably fail to mention everyone who has helped me, but a special thanks goes out to Natetromino, Yoshi, Vahki6, KingSidorak, Kodiak, Synnova, and VootCaboot for making this a reality. I know I am no doubt forgetting people and I will definitely edit this post and add them in after I comb through my notes.

Also, this Helryx canister set coincides with the releasing of the Metru Nui Market! If you want to check it out, click on this link or visit www.metrunuimarket.com

Yet another note: I would be remised not to mention the terrible irony that the completion of this set falls on the same day Greg has announced he will be leaving Lego. Lots of mixed emotions for sure, but I just want to take the time and say that he will be missed as a Lego employee, and I am forever grateful for the work he did in creating a theme that was such a big part of my childhood as well as so many others. The theme will always live on through the fans, and my prayers to out to Greg and his family.

edit: I have been a bit rushed this week due to work and haven’t been able to take the right amount or highest quality of photos that I think this project deserves. I will be updating this post this upcoming Sunday with some more in-depth and higher-quality photos

10 Likes

Oh wow, that’s really cool.

I have a question about the Stage 1 Helryx kit: are the Carapar armours 3d-printed, or are they official parts that are just included to make them easier to find? If it’s the former, are they also printed in all the other stages as well?

(EDIT: Never mind, now that I’ve clicked on the product links, I see they’re 3d-printed)

Also, I see there’s a spot on the site for Artakha; will you be designing a canister for him as well, or will he be a “box set”?

Also also, will there eventually be Hagah canisters available as well?

4 Likes

The canister label could use some work, but the quality of the canister itself is excellent. Fantastic job with this one!

6 Likes