Helryx Canister Design

First Helryx Canister Design Update!

Hi everyone! I’ve created this topic to post progress of the Helryx canisters that I will be working on (for the duration of the Artakha contest). This is my first topic ever created here so I really hope I did this correctly and am not violating any rules. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Anyways, over the long weekend I got a chance to get some work started on this project. If you are unfamiliar with this, please check out my other posts where I talk about the idea to create canisters for each of the winning canon character contests. I’ve included one of these posts below:

I’ve initially started sketching for the Helryx canister:

I’m wanting to go with an ‘old-skool’ canister look, something from the likes of 2001-03. Obviously far from flushed out yet, been mostly working on the lid.

I personally have my own thoughts about these designs but will keep them to myself for the moment - I want to hear yours! I really want community involvement/opinions to help make this the best it can possibly be. So please, comment, critique, criticize, and ask away! I’m looking to solicit as much feedback as possible while I keep sketching. Hoping to post again after another round of sketching (maybe 5ish days?)

HM

46 Likes

Wow those sketches look so cool, do you think you will do a picture on the canister?

6 Likes

I think that Metru canister is the best of those existing. Also it would be cool to get more of those matoran spheres on canisters. I think it is important to make that caister compatible with others? so one can stand on another. Are you still planning to make 1 canister for winner or maybe there will be release of, I don’t know, 12 canisters or more?

4 Likes

I think that the lid could have a little transparent dome or be transparent so you can you can display the mask

for the canister I think the classic circular design is the best.

I also have a question: How would someone obtain one of those canisters?
maybe they would be some kind of conversion kit where you modify an already existent canister?

3 Likes

Awesome work done already!

4 Likes

are you considering 3d printing these? I only have a small fdm printer (4.7in^3 build volume) but, I’d be willing to help

3 Likes

Thank you! I will probably do the winning Helryx art by @Mister-N somewhere on the canister, maybe the front. Ideally both the moc and art winners will be represented. Open to ideas on how to do that though!

1 Like

I really like the Metru canister design as well.
yeah i’ve gone back & forth on that actually - part of me wants to have it be compatible, but part of me wants it unique as the first Toa canister in existence. Maybe a compatible bottom to stack with the Mata canisters? Not sure yet.

As far as numbers, I’m planning on 1 for @TheUnderscoredDouble, 1 for @Mister-N, and 1 for @Eljay /TTV. I’m totally open to make more though, it just might cost money as I am broke haha

3 Likes

@GX_05 I think the transparent idea could be cool, I will explore that

thank you @Rons_oc

@Dadertrix I most likely see myself 3D-printing these yes. I would love your help! Once we get a little further in the process I’ll be sure to touch base

@Hawkflight thank you! haha still getting the hang of things here but I appreciate the help lol

I do like this idea, perhaps it will end up in my next iteration

Thank you! I agree with the OG feel. I’m trying to find the balance of having it resemble that time frame to fit in with when Helryx existed/used a canister into the timeline of Bionicle, while still making the canister feel unique to her as the first Toa. Feedback as I continue to walk this line is greatly appreciated. Definitely going for a Mata feel

This is a cool idea! I do want to make it feel “prototype” or “mk I”, so to speak. Feedback on the next round of sketches to this point would be greatly appreciated

4 Likes

oh yeah, you should read this

Don’t forget you can quote people’s responses like this by dragging your mouse over the text and pressing the button that pops up.

2 Likes

Perhaps if you were able to, implementing a silhouette of Daxia might be a nice nod towards her involvement in The Order of Mata Nui.

2 Likes

Love these sketches. Given that the Toa Mata were created around the same time as Helryx, I think it would make sense to go with a more og canister. The Toa Mata’s canisters were initially stationed in Karda Nui and one Order agent used a canister to get to Mata nui. However, I can see why some might want the Mistika or Glatorian canisters, because Helryx was arguably introduced in 2008. Perhaps a Toa Mata canister with some ridges would suffice.

All in all, I think Helryx’s canister should at the very least arguably resemble the Toa Mata but I’m open to whatever you do.

5 Likes

I think it would be cool to see a sort of prototype canister. Maybe something like a cube.

1 Like

Helryx Canister Design mini-update 1

Got some orders in the mail recently for this project! I’ll open them soon for all to see…

7 Likes

Any update on the canister design?

2 Likes

Yes sorry, I have definitely been working on it! A few of my co-workers got covid (both recovering well) so I had to take on both of their responsibilities as well as my own, so I’ve been a bit busy. Hoping to post sometime soon, this weekend at the latest. Glad you are still interested!

Its definitely not too late! Still sketching! I’m finding it a bit tough to use this canister design, but I’m going to sketch a few ideas for it - not throwing any ideas out yet

6 Likes

First time I’m seeing this topic, and if it’s not too late to influence the design, I think it would be cool if Helryx’s canister looked similar to the Roboriders canisters. Her armor already uses Roborider heads, and the winning mask design was in turn also based on those head pieces. I think it would be cool and a little funny if we could keep this meta reference to Bionicle’s immediate predecessor going.

4 Likes

Hey all! First off, I am very sorry about the delay - as some of you know, a few of my co-workers got covid (both recovered now praise the Lord :pray:), which meant I had to take on their responsibilities and therefore didn’t have as much time to work on this as I wanted. But they are back now, and I can spend time on the real priorities haha. I appreciate all of your patience with me.

Helryx Canister Design Update #2!

I really didn’t want to rush this. I want to do it right. Therefore, I am still in the idea exploration phase and am not ruling out any ideas that pop into my head yet. This is how I was taught product design, so I’m simply defaulting to it during this process.

A couple of my thoughts:
I think this canister should be (relatively) simple. Since Helryx is the first Toa, and she deals heavily with the Mata, it seems fitting.

I have also developed a list of design criteria to help influence the project. They are as follows:

1. “Dome”-shaped lid (based on early Bionicle artwork, this seems fitting. @Kodiak @akirk47 striving for that early ‘prototype’ look)
  2. Smooth canister main body (for display wrapping - @Eilrach this is probably where a picture of some sort will go)
  3. Mask display (this was suggested by @GX_05, and I really like this idea. I’m not sure exactly how its going to play out yet, but I do want the mask displayed in some fashion, especially since it was part of the contest)
  4. Logo resin disc (you’ll have to wait to hear more about this :wink:)

Not an end-all be-all list yet, but I am going to try to stick to these. If you have any further suggestions, feel free to post in the comments

I’m still going super wide with these sketches, & purposely not narrowing it down yet. Each sketch is a new idea, so I’d love your feedback! I enjoy incorporating your ideas into this, and it gives me something to go towards when my mind goes blank haha.

An idea was mentioned by @Kanohi_Cantri to give a nod to Daxia in this design. I really like this, so I thought of an outline of the island on the bottom of the canister (sort of ‘foundational’ vibes).

Another idea was to make this canister compatible with others (@Lesnichiy). I’m having a bit of trouble with this tbh, and she is kind of a unique Toa… still giving it a shot though

This was suggested by reddit user Pirate_Puma on r/bioniclelego - having a set of guidelines (as there will be many more of these to come). I really like this idea. These are not hard rules yet and obviously not fully flushed out, but I’d love input on this as well.

Oh I almost forgot, but as you can see the Bricklink parts are for my canon Helryx, who I * almost * have all the parts for :laughing: cannot wait to see her standing next to her canister!

I’m really enjoying this process :smile: I have so many ideas, I cannot wait to see the final product. I’m going to be able to post much more regularly now - hoping to have at least 1 more page of sketches up by this weekend.

Well, thats enough of me talking. I hope you like the project so far. Please please please leave your comments, questions, and criticism. It really helps me make this the best it can be.

HM

• edit * : canister guideline #3 should say FIT the theme, not fix the theme
7 Likes

With the mask displaying: why not use the Mata canister lid, it fits your concepts (all the Mata-Related thing) + it already has a Mata head on top, so you can just put the mask on it.

1 Like

RIP - The design of the mask will not allow it to fit on the mata lid :upside_down_face:. Plus, I would like Helryx to have her own unique lid, being the first toa and all

@CMO thank you for your support! I’m glad you understand haha as I’m quickly seeing this will take awhile, probably until after the Artakha contest is done and even then some.

I have heard this suggestion a few times - I think either this next round of sketches or the round after I will put up some inspiration material from that era and see what happens and if I can reconcile the '08 aesthetic with the direction of the project.

sometimes, humble matoran draws first and thinks second :rofl: :joy:

thank you so much again for the kind words and support! really blessed to be part of this community.

yeah :grimacing: :face_with_monocle: :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :face_with_raised_eyebrow:… that is the question of the day haha. I’m leaning towards doing something other than a canister for Artakha…not only because the titans came in boxes, but also because a canister doesn’t seem to fit this character as well…

6 Likes