Helryx Canister Design

Hey, glad to see you’re still doing this! This is a really cool idea, and a nice reward for the winners. And don’t feel rushed to get this finished. Something as unique and intensive as this deserves all the time it can get! (Also, I know this is jumping the gun a bit here, but I’m curious, for Artakha, do you plan on doing a canister too, or a traditional box, since he’s a titan? Obviously if you haven’t thought that far ahead yet I totally understand!)

As for C&C, I’d think that keeping Helryx’s canister similar-ish to the Mata’s is the way to go, seeing as how in-story they were created around the same time, and the Mata would probably be based off of Helryx, seeing as how she’s the first Toa. However, seeing as how she made her first big appearances in 2008, it might be neat too to base it off the '08 canisters, particularly the Mistika ones. That way, you could put her mask on the side of the canister like how the Ignika was for theirs. I really do like too your idea for using Daxia as a “base” around the canister. I think that’s a really cool incorporation of it.

Additionally, I’d be slightly worried about this canister’s stability, since it might be a bit too top heavy. I suppose though that more so depends on the material used and how wide you’d want it to be there.

Hope this helps, and good luck with the designing!

3 Likes

Helryx Canister Design Update #3!

More sketches! I have added another page of exploratory ideas to this process - would love more feedback, & thank you to all who have provided some thus far.

Still striving for an old skool design language here :face_with_monocle:. I’m starting to have some ideas in my head for what this might officially turn out to be…

Getting some of these shapes not only from the mood board I have up but also from pieces of Helryx, most notably the mata head, foot, and robo rider head.

Let me know what you guys think! Would love feedback as I progress through this design process!

Also, I’ve taken another look at my guidelines:

I really want to push the artwork as the display portion on the canister, since it was equally as much a part of the contest as the moc portion was. These are just rough ideas at this point for how to go about that. I’d also like to include some sort of booklet with a bit of the ‘story of the contest’, if you will. I feel like it could be a nice touch for those who want a canister, & a nod to many of the good designs that didn’t win. I also feel like it can really showcase the Bionicle (or Bonkle) community. Let me know what you think!

My next steps will be to sketch some designs inspired by the '08 year/theme. I’ve had a fair amount of people say this is pretty relevant to Helryx, so I’m going to see what happens!
I know originally I said I wanted this to last the duration of the Artakha contest, so that when his contests were done I could start right on him, but obviously I got a little delayed in the beginning…oops haha. I’m still going to finish in as much of a timely manner as possible, but I really don’t want to rush this and I’d rather take my time and do it right. Thanks all for being patient with me during this process!
And as always, any feedback/comments/critique is ALWAYS appreciated :+1: :handshake:

HM

12 Likes

Non-round canister? I think the round one is much better.
Your sketches are … hard to understand. Am I right that there are several Coliseum-inspired designs? Are those ones on the right are side views ?
Idea with separate booklet for the contest is super neat. I think that canister should have art on the one side and the MOC on the other, just like some official canisters show the main image on the front and some functions/features/promo materials on the back. Maybe Daxia image can be added on the back side too. Maybe something else. Also the mask probably should be replaced on the MOC via photoshop.

1 Like

Not saying it will look exactly like the 08 canisters, just may draw some inspiration from that year’s overall visual presence.

Most of the designs are inspired by 1) Mata/Nuva canisters, 2) FaberFiles early concept art, 3) Helryx pieces, 4) Bionicle 2001 architecture (in that order)

you are correct. exploring overall profile here, from a different angle other than the top of the canister

thank you! I agree, and (as of right now) I’ll probably put the art on the front of the canister as it is the canon version according to BS01

2 Likes

Helryx Canister Design mini-update 2

As many of you have suggested, I will be taking some inspiration from the '08 era & Karda Nui landscape/area(s) - these images are going up on the mood board :raised_hands:. Thank you so much for your suggestions! I know this is taking a little longer than usual but I appreciate the interest, support, and constant feedback.

Also, this is going to be one of the last round of broad ideation sketching - after this, I will be focusing on narrowing down on a few solid ideas & eventually one final concept for the canister. If you’ve been following along (or haven’t :upside_down_face:) & want to make some suggestions before things narrow down, now’s your chance! Thank you to all who have done so - I can’t wait to see how this turns out!

4 Likes

well, if this is the last chance…
I don’t really know what else to say about those scetches, but I think that those bases/bottoms look awkward (just personal opinion) and not like original canisters (most of them had equal or more narrow bottoms compared to main body). Also, those scetches look more appealing/interesting to me:

3 Likes

thank you for your input. I definitely like these sketches as well, especially the middle one. More updates coming soon (tomorrow)

3 Likes

Neat. :+1:

2 Likes

I dig this sketch.

1 Like

Helryx Canister Design Update #4!

oooh yes, yet another round of canister sketches! (I promise we are nearing the end of just sketching and will soon get on to more stages of the project - you have my word)

(sorry for the glaring light here :laughing:) As you can see on the updated mood board, lots of these new sketches (the 2 pages shown above) take most of their inspiration from 2008/Cordex/Karda Nui.

Because of this, the sketches became more angular, which was a nice change of pace for me. I also focused on iterating the top of the canister from a different angle, which is the right side of the page. (yes, I tried a “logo” at the top…not super in love with it tbh :rofl: :upside_down_face:)

As far as broad exploration goes for this canister, I’m about done. I’m going to do just one more page, to try to consolidate any ideas form 2001 and 2008 that can be merged, & also to get out any final ideas. After that, it will be basically no more new ideas for sketches, just consolidating all of the previous ideas into 3 (or so) main concepts to further evaluate.

As always, please let me know your thoughts - half of these sketches wouldn’t even be here if it wasn’t for people giving me tips/ideas on different directions for this.

That final exploration sketch page will be up very soon. Until then, I look forward to hearing from all of you!

HM

7 Likes

Helryx Canister Design mini-update 3

The Mask of Psychometry! :raised_hands: Taking a little break from sketching posts to show off this kanohi.

This is not the version of the kanohi that will come with the canister. I just needed one on hand for design work - to get a sense of shape & size as I begin to move from sketching to 3D prototyping (finally :upside_down_face:) Obviously the quality is a bit low for now. Nonetheless, its a really cool design! Of course, all credit goes to @Mister-N for the design, & @Galva_Nize for the 3D model.
Some more shots & specs for those interested:

This kanohi was ordered on Shapeways, as ‘Blue Processed Versatile Plastic’. (The stand is just a very simple mod from Mask Maker vs. Skull Grinder set).

More updates coming soon!

HM

4 Likes

Helryx Canister Design mini-update 4 - seeking instructions!

Hey y’all! Hope everyone is having a great start to 2021!
I am continuing on this Helryx canister project, & am excited to share the next couple updates.

However, no Bionicle set would be complete without instructions, & this is no exception! I have what I think is a pretty good stud.io build of Helryx, with a complete parts inventory & instructions. However, I’ve seen several different stud.io files/instructions floating around for Helryx, & I want to make sure mine is as accurate as possible. If you think you have an accurate (or even close) version, please let me know or get in touch with me to compare - I’d really like to get this perfect, & I know there are people more experienced than me doing this. Your help is much appreciated! :grin:

Stay tuned, more updates coming next week!

HM

10 Likes

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1dz4QLFXyybgTDKAbxgk3k8us5RHqvW0B?usp=sharing
My recreation. It is, as far as I know, an exact copy, but without the tubes because they do not exist in Studio. And the mask was scaled by myself, so it does not really fit Mata head, only the Metru one. Biopack used.

2 Likes

Helryx Canister Design mini-update 5

Another mystery box in the mail… :face_with_monocle:

(@ creativemechanics)

10 Likes

When did you become Faber

11 Likes

Helryx Canister Design mini-update 5.1
Inside the box - more masks of Psychometry! :eyes:

(@ Creative Mechanics)

12 Likes

That’s a lot of helryx.

1 Like

Those transparent blue Masks of Psychometry look really cool!

2 Likes

Because Toa of Water are required by law to have a translucent mask at some point.

5 Likes

Good choice taking resin ones. They always look super smooth.

Now onto the main thing the canister. I like the concept of designing a canister for Helryx. The lid design you used as a “matt” for the prints is pretty cool I can already see how i would use that to attach the Kanohi.

How I understand it the canister will actually be made. Will it be resin printed or something similar?

1 Like