Heroes of Ilira: A Royal Mess Signups and Discussion Topic (Signups Closed)

So, I think some clarification should probably be offered here.

The point of this rp is to have a wacky and oftentimes comedic jab at the typical fantasy setting most everyone employs in their fictional work, be it books or film, or RPs like this one. It gives the characters a chance to both play into the absurdity of the world and point out just how ridiculous some of the tropes are without breaking the setting, but also still have meaningful, heart-felt character growth and stories to tell.

Grem is a giant monster that eats people and is antisocial whose go-to in situations is to eat people. Not only is this an intensely morbid character, he completely breaks the entire setting of the world. I can’t see him existing for any amount of time in this imaginary land without being either intensely feared by everyone he comes across or being deemed a universal threat to all life and hunted down en masse by the entire continent, much less being invited to see the king and become one of the main heroes.

There’s nothing wrong with an edgy character, or a darker character, so long as they fit the world they’re being written into. But this isn’t grimdark. I don’t think he, in his current state, will have any real opportunity to exist, much less grow and develop as a character.

5 Likes

I can’t really think of a character that’s fun to play, with fitting into the very tiny race list, with very little variability.
i’ve become so used to more serious role plays that the only thing i could think up is an unoriginal, not at all funny, very odd ,mixmashed character with only one real funny thing about him, being his gluttony.
But the more i think about it, the less i feel i can make a character with a real
funny thing, making it hard for me to come up with very goofy ideas.
In every roleplay i wanted to be, i wanted to be a monster, a monster that wasn’t excepted as a person, as that was a big premise about the character.
But as the character grew, people would come to except him.
Alas, it would appear my folly is unreachable, and i would like some help.

3 Likes

As was mentioned, the species list was not an extensive list. It’s merely the most common species. Like, pretty much anything from, say, The Elder Scrolls series of games could work, for example.

Now, my power’s out for the umpteenth time this year, and I’m just sitting down for dinner. I’m sure Ghid will be willing to help out while I wait for my power to come back…

5 Likes

Here’s a character I may use if I decide to play:

Name: John Scaroni

Species: Human

Homeland: Dravalong

Skills: Repairs of all types, and the occasional creation of more problems. As a repairman and builder, he makes houses and other buildings, as well as stone walls and such. He is not a good architect, though, and was forced to retire after a prominent customer told him that his mansion lacked the actual living quarters, being merely the facade. However, he has much money built up from his family, who were all prominent architects. This has enabled him to sell the business to an apprentice for quite a large sum, and watch it grow under a new leader while he pursues the construction of his own home. As he designed it to have everything short of electricity (which doesn’t exist yet), it’s been delayed many times.

Personality: Cheery, and optimistic, John Scaroni is the perfect salesman, even if he doesn’t have the product yet. This has won him many clients, though he secretly detests their insistence on “quality construction” and buildings that last for centuries. In his mind, the need for repairs drives up his business, so why try to undermine that process? He also hates thinking things through, leading to many of his plans being unsatisfactory, unsafe, or impossible to build. He has been called “Da Vinci on drugs”, and seems to enjoy the dubious distinction implied by that moniker.

Appearance: John Scaroni looks like the average nobleman, only with slightly lower-quality apparel. His eyes are hazel, and his badly combed hair is black. He wears a uniform of green and brown (the brown being a leather jacket he inherited from his father), and often talks with a drawl that gets dangerously close to that of someone from the southern US. He carries a satchel filled with parchment and drawing equipment, as well as some random stuff that gets left in it every time he tries to clean it out.

Backstory: see skills.

3 Likes

Will have to thoroughly read through the whole thing at some point, but you can probably be expecting a sign up from me soontm. Looks very discworldy, which makes me happy to see.

5 Likes

my man really just made this into a character

So I’m getting some wacky mixed signals from this signup.

The name and appearance imply that this is literally just “a guy” but the rest of the character is anything but. He’s a morally ambiguous established architect with a long line of impressive failures in his storied career mooching off his family’s finances while he focuses his energy on making his own home as luxurious as possible.

It’s a really strange mix, that’s for sure.

Not gonna make any kind of call on him yet, want to see what cobalt has to say.

6 Likes

I agree with Ghid. While there’s nothing that’s completely objectionable about this entry, it might be better if the name and appearance matched the rest of the character.

Other than that, this character will work just fine.

4 Likes

sounds interesting might join

@Ghid

or he just copies it from another rpg

2 Likes

ghid when he uses the same character from the last rp he co-gmed to signify his being a co-gm

5 Likes

so it’s the same character, expect now he’s a chef?

The issue with the character the last time he had existed (I see you deleted that post, ah well) isn’t so much the fact that he ate people, but that, well, he’s an open-stomached gristly demogorgon in a painfully unaware fantasy world who eats people. Here, you’ve done a good job of revamping the personality and backstory to something on the sillier side of the coin - a gourmet chef being summoned to go fight an ancient evil - but it seems to be more a compensation for the fact that he’s an open-stomached gristly demogorgon.

As dark as the rp may become, with different themes and undercurrents running alongside the plot and possibly challenging the characters individually, I very much doubt Cobalt has planned to have anything remotely close to as gore-y a visual spectacle as this character would be. Not to mention his unsettling appearance would be a major detriment to the party - even Basil keeps himself concealed whenever possible.

And no, making an edit to the signup to clarify he wears a cloak or something won’t solve all the problems here. There are steps taken to make certain aspects fit into the world, but the idea behind the character is itself completely incompatible with the setting. You’re welcome to make a new character, and if you feel like you’re having difficulty coming up with something, send Cobalt and myself a pm - we’ll try to help in any way we can.

As for now, however, this character concept will not be approved.

4 Likes

I know I’m not the GM either, but @MakutaOisli I also think it’s probably ok if this sort of RP just isn’t for you. It seems like Ghid and Cobalt have a pretty clear vision for what they want this to be, and if that vision isn’t appealing to you, then maybe it’s ok just to say “hey, this one doesn’t look like it’s for me” as apposed to trying to fit a style of character you want into a style of RP it just might not fit into. I’m not saying I don’t think you should play, especially if you do want to try new things and expand your pallet, and also don’t want to be putting words in Ghid’s or Cobalts mouth and chase away their players, just figured it was worth throwing the idea out there.

1 Like

Don’t know if it would be allowed, but making Teek a more human-like creature with a giant mouth for a face could make him a pretty fun character

That would probably still be a little too monstrous-looking, to be honest.

2 Likes

I hope i got this right.

Name: Ig
Species: Human
Homeland: Gretsire
Skills/Abilities: Ig has a chitinous armor shell layer on his skin that provides addtional armor and warmth, but can be a pain during hotter times. It sheds, but once it does, Igs skin is quite delicate. He has claws, but they aren’t used for much but digging up roots and picking at his chitin. He has wisdom on flora, and knows where to look for herbs and roots.
Personality: He’s too stubborn for his own good, and generally uncooperative. Once you finally get down to who he really is, hes talkative, and happy enough.
Physical Appearance: He looks normal enough, except for the insect-like armor that covers his skin shoulders down, and his bigger-than normal hands with claws.
Backstory: Born with a second skin, Ig was to be isolated from society when he still had the armor on him. When it finally shed from his flesh, he was free to live a normal life with his father and mother. He would take jobs from his mother to collect roots and herbs, and would learn to make poultices alongside her.
He would bake with his father, and so on and so forth. Hes lived a somewhat normal life, even though he would have to disappear from the village much of the time. When he received the letter, he went after collecting a bundle of herbs and putting them into a small sack.

1 Like

Oh, uh… sorry, I missed that you actually changed the name.

Your entry is approved!

4 Likes

No worries. I just did that at the last minute yesterday, so I’m not surprised that it got missed.

3 Likes

Here is my extremely original character that I’ll be using in this rp.

7 Likes

character stolen, not approved

You have to write your own genius, n01 :triumph:

8 Likes

Name: Winston
Gender: Male (at least thats what people tend to get from him, he is just a rock)
Species: Stone golem
Homeland: Dravalong
Skills/Abilities: Winston has a very deep knowledge of different kinds of rocks and stone (huh, wonder why?), and he seems to be able to communicate with them (although nobody is really sure if he is getting an actual response or just acting crazy). Outside of rocks, hes pretty much only good as a paperweight or being a trip hazard.
Personality: Winston tends to be very grumpy, loud, and he hates dwarves because of their obsession with mining, moving, and reshaping stone. Though he dosent often get seriously mad, he tends to whack people across the shin or step on their foot when someone is annoying him.
Physical Appearance: Winston is a very blocky, mossy, lichen-covered sentient stone golem who is about knee high, and has some semblance of a face, arms and legs. Though he has fingers, they arent really much use most of the time for holding anything, let alone doing anything with even a rough semblance of finesse. Imagine him how you wish.
Backstory: Winston really dosent remember much from his creation, animation, or early days, only knowing that he is at least 352 years old by now (likely older, though the first year he remembers has long past). He has mostly just wandered around from town to town, often staying “a little while” in each during the last few centuries, but he has recently started looking for some sort of adventure or long-term goal to work towards since he dosent know how long hes going to be around for, so he might as well do something.

5 Likes

best character

boy he’s gonna be disappointed

5 Likes