Honor Guard: Art Contest Results (BIONICLE Canon Contest #3)

Congratulations to @specterL !!
And thank you to all the participants.

There were twists and turns before the decision on Canon Visual, but I think it was finally decided to be a good one.
1: 1: 1: 1: 1: 1 color pattern, and consequentially well-balanced 2: 2: 2, masks of the same shape as known (Norik, Kualus), known mask variation designs (Bomonga, Pouks), and uniquely shaped masks (Gaaki, Iruini).

My impression is that the balance between individuality and unity is wonderful.

9 Likes

Oh yes
Thought it would never end.
and the next is Tuyet…

It's done

Big congratulations to @specterL, this was the piece I personally voted for, and I think this might be the first where I’ve (mostly) gotten what I wanted out of things. Ironically it’s for the set of characters I like the least out of the whole list and have pretty much no interest in, but at this juncture I expected that.

I would perhaps have preferred them to have the same colours as the MOCs, but that’s less because of any desire for “purism” or “ease of building” and more because, in something as narrow as this contest, colour scheme is one of the few unique qualities each entrant can have… well, besides Bomogus up there. I ain’t gonna build any of these guys, I just have to hope I don’t come up with any designs that require a black Metru torso in the future.

Unfortunately for all the pro-purists out there… non-purism is the future. We got a finite amount of bits left and Lego aren’t going to come to our rescue on that front any time soon. They don’t even put CCBS in System sets anymore.

3D-printing and painting our own parts is the future. Better get used to it.

But yeah, major props to our worthy winner. Eljay, Meso, go take a bloody nap.

14 Likes

I gotta say, I am quite happy that this is finally over, the art is stunning, congrats to @specterL for winning, great job.

3 Likes

I guess it’s time to take a crack at modeling that gaaki mask.

4 Likes

Congratulations to SpecterL and Greenmonga!

19 Likes

Well I see you’ve prepared

[Irritated Rukah noises]
for those not aware, this is a joke

2 Likes

You can 3-D print of some of the parts, if you like it or not.

2 Likes

Let’s goooo copper gaaki is canon!

3 Likes

may i kindly ask
where

2 Likes

Wow those look legit! where did you print them and paint color/type? or did you do this yourself??

2 Likes

Would cost me more, tbh, don’t own a 3D printer and let’s be honest beyond Bomonga which is the worst offender in every regard except color imho. I only really dislike the others because of illegal builds or metru mods that never should have been canonized to begin with and just in generally uproting consistency with their characterisations and Norik and Iruini.

I hope that clarifies my stance.

2 Likes

Congrats SpecterL!

No surprise this won, it’s fantastic. It’s grown on me more and more as time’s gone on. I guess it’s time to start painting!

3 Likes

Congratulations, @specterL, on a well deserved win!

3 Likes

What color originally were they?

1 Like

Congratulations! I had a feeling the 01 metallics would win (rip Pearl Gold Bomongus), and out of the entries that had that this was easily my favorite.

4 Likes

Congrats specterL on winning! So happy with the outcome. Can’t wait from the next contest to start after the break

2 Likes

Congratulations to @specterL! This was a really great piece, and the style fits in perfectly with the BIONICLE aesthetic. It also had one of the few mask shapes for Gaaki that I was pleased with, and though I wasn’t initially a fan of the 1:6 color split, the shades used here are definitely not too garish, and they suit the Toa Hagah quite well.

2 Likes

I believe they’re printed/casted

1 Like

Someone’s got to create a noob friendly guide to painting

4 Likes