Honor of the Kal

The Bohrok-Kal are some of my favorite villains. So I wanted to write something for them. This is just a one-off, but I got to have a little fun with it.

I swear, why must everyone stand in our way? This is getting ridiculous. We’re supposed to be the good guys.

My name is Pahrak-Kal. I am one of six Bohrok-Kal, an elite group of Bohrok created with a single purpose: to aid the Bohrok queens, Cahdok and Gahdok, if anything should happen to them. Not that I ever expected it to, to be honest. Why would anyone wish to harm the Bahrag, to stop the Bohrok from fulfilling their purpose?

I’ll admit, I still don’t undertand. But somehow, the queens got trapped, unable to communicate with the rest of the Bohrok. One of the Bohrok Va notified us, and we were sent out to find the queens. Immediately, we ran into the Toa Nuva.

Now, I don’t know much about Toa, but I do know that they’re supposed to be heroes. So why did these six uppity morons seal away the Bahrag and then attack us when we came to do our job? Of course, we beat them without issue, but still. They should have been our allies, or at least not tried to stop us.

Worse, there are Matoran here, and they’re also standing against us, trying to help their Toa. One of them actually managed to swipe my first Krana-Kal. He caught me off guard, okay? I was busy arguing with the Toa leader, the most hardheaded and annoying of the bunch, and one of his Matoran snuck up behind me. Not to worry, though, one of the Bohrok Va got me a replacement. I underestimated the Matoran, a mistake I won’t be repeating.

Anyway, despite the setbacks from stupid Toa and annoying Matoran, we are finally on the right track. At last, I got closed enough to sense where they were, and found the entrance to the tunnels the Toa used to get to their lair. The tunnel was sealed by rocks, perhaps the Toa’s feeble attempt to hide it, though it could have also been a natural rockslide. Regardless, that was a minor inconvenience, as I blasted the rocks away with my plasma. Then I began to call for the other Bohrok-Kal.

Tahnok-Kal, our leader, was the first one to show up. While we waited for the others, I told my brother of my struggles, and he shared his. Apparently he also lost his Krana-Kal, though in a less embarrasing way, being defeated by two of the Toa Nuva through a clever trap. Fortunately, no one thought to take the Nuva symbols we had. Thse were apparently the keys we would need to break the Nuva’s seal and free our queens. Not that we couldn’t have just taken them again, but it would have slowed us down even more.

Just as I was sharing my tale of ignoble defeat, Tahnok-Kal suddenly lurched forward, shoving me backwards with his head. Seconds later, a spear hit the ground where I was standing a moment before. I watched as the rocky ground began to dissolve; that was new.

Swiftly, I turned to see which of the Toa had come to oppose us this time. But the figures I saw approaching us were not Toa. If I could have, I would have gasped. They were our other cursed “brothers”, the Zyglak.

If you don’t know the story of the Zyglak, well, I wouldn’t blame you, they’re not exactly the most popular bunch. Unfortunately, all of us are cursed with the knowledge, as it is part of our own history. The Zyglak were a byproduct of the process used to create the Krana. The Zyglak turned out to be a race of savages, bent on hating everyone and everything. Why our creators didn’t just get rid of their mistakes is beyond me. I knew the Zyglak still lurked out there in the darkest parts of the world, but I’d never seen one. What could bring them to this place, in the middle of the day?

And then one of them spoke. “Bohrok…” it growled. And then I remembered that the Zyglak hated Bohrok specifically.

Tahnok-Kal immediately blasted lightning at one of the Zyglak. I could have told him it as a waste of time and energy. The lightning struck the Zyglak, and it just shrugged it off. Oh yeah, did I mention Zyglak are virtually immune to elemental powers?

Undettered, the three Zyglak charged us, raising their weapons. If they managed to hit us with those, it would be bad. I fired a blast of Plasma, not at the Zyglak, but at the ground before them, hoping to halt their charge. It didn’t work, as the lead Zyglak leapt into the air and flung its spear at me. Fortunately, while the Zyglak were resistant to our powers, their spears were not, and another blast of plasma vaporized the spear in midair. Meanwile, I saw Tahnok-Kal blast two more spears that were flung at him, knocking them out of the air. Still, the Zyglak had more spears. This was not looking good.

Then I watched as the Zyglak leader suddenly dropped and slammed into the ground. It took me a moment to realize this was the power of gravity, thanks to the Nuhvok-Kal. Another Bohrok-Kal had arrived.

“Hah!” The Nuhvok-Kal said. “Having some problems?”

“Together, we can drive these beasts away,” Tahnok-Kal declared.

“No!” I said. “We have to eliminate them. Think of the Matoran here!”

If Nuhvok-Kal had been a Matoran, he would have been looking at me like I’d just grown a second head. “The Matoran who have done nothing but oppose us at every turn?”

“Yes,” I said. “The Matoran, Mata Nui’s chosen ones. These Zyglak will kill them all, if we allow them.” I’ll admit, I wasn’t the biggest fan of these Matoran. They stole my Krana-Kal, remember? But alas, all beings have a role to play, even those idiotic Toa Nuva. There’s a reason I hadn’t killed them, even though I very easily could have, with my powers. But the Zyglak, they had no purpose, they were just a plague. I didn’t like the idea of having to kill them, but we had no choice, the Matoran wouldn’t stand a chance against them.

Together, the three of us could have driven the Zyglak away, as our leader so proudly declared. But in order to be strong enough to eliminate the Zyglak, we needed to combine our strength. The three of us got together, and there was a flash. Moments later, we were no longer three, but one.

Our fusion form, the Bohrok-Kal Kaita, was more powerful than any of us alone. Two massive arms lunged forward at the Zyglak, burning away their spears and grabbing the Zyglak themselves. And then we hit them, with the powers of lightning, plasma, and gravity combined. It was more than even they could stand up to, and soon, the three Zyglak lay before us, dead.

Once we split apart, I blasted the ground beneath the, and watched them sink into the plasma. Zyglak are known to carry a deadly disease, and I didn’t want the Matoran here to learn that the hard way. Eventually, the plasma would fully melt them away, leaving no trace of the vermin. And those annoying Matoran would never know what we did for them.

“What, are you getting bored?”

I turned to see Lehvak-Kal approaching. Behind him were Kohrak-Kal and Gahlok-Kal. At last, our full team was united.

“We ran into some trouble,” I said. “Nothing we couldn’t handle, of course.”

Gahlok-Kal nodded. “Of course. Nothing will stop us from achieving our mission.”

Yes, our mission. Despite everything, it was almost over. Turning, the six of us marched into the tunnels. It was time to finish our duty.

4 Likes

I’m confused at what point in time this is happening and also confused as to how the Bohrok Kal are swapping Krana Kal when canonically the Krana Kal were the Bohrok Kal, but it’s still a neat story

3 Likes

Well, the loss and replacement of the Krana-Kal does happen in canon; the events referenced here are seen in Makuta’s Revenge and in the comics, Pahrak-Kal, Tahnok-Kal, and an unidentified third have their Krana taken and replaced with new ones thanks to the Va. Greg has suggested that the Krana-Kal share memories through a backup in their armor. It’s weird, but it’s canon.

As for when it takes place, it’s towards the end of the story. The Kal have just found the Bohrok lair, and are going in. The Toa Nuva are reuniting at this point and are about to follow them for the final confrontation.

2 Likes