How do I get good at drawing?

I suck at drawing - Simple as. I never have been very good at it, and unless I spend hours tracing anything I can’t draw properly. Example:

(I spent half an hour trying to draw a hau)
Keep in mind I used a mouse, and I have no Graphics Tablet.
Any tips for better drawing would be great.

2 Likes

Keep practicing that’s the best advice I can give you, the more you draw the better you get over time. Also I recommend that you start with pencil and paper and go from there.

2 Likes

Start with a pencil and break everything down into basic shapes. You can do a lot if you can draw a circle.

I would reccomend using Adobe Illustrator

I would definitely start with the simple pencil and paper, rather than a computer. Mouse drawing is hard for almost everyone, because it’s very unwieldy. When you’re drawing on a sheet of paper, it is much easier to control the lines.

TBH, for a mouse drawing, that Hau is not bad at all. And, as everyone else has said, practice practice practice!!!

When I was a kid (say, 11 or 12), my drawings (which I thought were great) looked a lot like yours–though they were on paper, which makes yours better, given the medium. But now, 7-8 years later, my skills have grown extraordinarily, so that you could never tell where I had been before. I didn’t take any art classes that focused on drawing–I just kept drawing. If you do that, I’m almost certain you’ll get better too!

Good luck!

Yeah, drawing with a mouse is a bad idea for inexperienced artists(or in general really), that’s actually pretty decent considering,

As for improving, like everyone’s already said, practice,
and look at other peoples art, not only will you find inspiration, you will also learn from others mistakes and begin to tell what makes art good or bad.
(You wouldn’t believe how much I’ve learned just from watching webcomic relief)

And some advice,
Never compare your demo reel to someone else’s highlight reel.

2 Likes

Learn to draw :stuck_out_tongue:

/s

1 Like

Just draw with paper/pencil whenever you can, even if you don’t feel like it.

1 Like

Drawing is a terribly unexplainably difficult and progressive process. You start out poor, you realize one thing you’re doing wrong, you improve apon that, rinse and repeat.

2 Likes

For drawing straight lines, it’s best that you make multiple, small strokes going in the same direction, one on top of the other. Practice will bring these lines together in a smoother, straight line.

2 Likes

Practice is one thing, but finding inspiration from others artstyles and letting small hints of it trickle into your own work would prove very beneficial as well.

Just watch TTV Talks About Drawing:

It’s helpful in the way of understanding that you only need to practice to get better at art.

If you’re going to be doing digital art, I would consider getting a drawing tablet as soon as possible. It makes everything so easy. In the downtime until you do get one, draw with paper and pencil.

And do it often. Once a day, or when you get bored. Pick something to draw and just try and draw it. Don’t focus on getting all the details, just focus on drawing the shape of whatever you’re drawing. If it doesn’t turn out like what you were drawing, that’s okay, just keep practicing.

I also recommend watching a lot of tutorials or speedpaints on YouTube. They really help you understand principles of drawing and show you processes and techniques that better artists use. That’s mostly how I started improving in digital painting. For drawing as a whole, I’d recommend watching Draw With Jazza.

It really is all about practice. I started drawing from a really young age and did it nearly all the time. It’s a lot of work and a lot of time, and it took me years to get to the level I am at now, but trust me you’ll go from something like this:

(By me when I was, like, 5)

to this:

Hope it helps! :smile:

3 Likes

I always feel bad because when people ask me this question, and I never know the answer. All I can really say is just keep doing it. You don’t really have to try new things, or find out techniques, just keep drawing. You’ll figure out all that stuff on your own.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot all of you. I do probably need to try drawing more, especially using skeletons for humanoid figures (and I don’t mean papyrus).

Alright then

Try using a pencil and paper to draw. That’s not it, though. Start with things that you’re comfortable drawing and not something complex.

I suggest when drawing use frames, which basically are simple placeholders for limbs or attachments onto your drawing. This way you don’t draw freestyle and it doesn’t turn out to be a mess.

If you want digital drawings, consider getting a much better drawing software such as paint.net or JIMP, which include more in-depth features that can make your drawing much better when compared to MS paint. For even better results, purchase a digital pad to draw on and see what you can do.

PS: Don’t try to use a brush on a laptop. It’s almost impossible. Buy a USB mouse.

Well to be fair if you don’t take art classes you gotta learn with practice, just keep trying and trying and I’m sure you will draw better. I never took drawing classes.

2 Likes

practice? I’m not really good at explanations lol. I’ve taken classes so I learned from that, but if I didn’t practice it on my own time, I would of failed the class. Practicing is the best way to learn something better.

1 Like

100 sketches, 100 anatomical practices and 100 meaningless doodles along with drawing 10 km lines every single day. Eat three meals a day, but only a banana as breakfast and also don’t use the AC, to strengthen your mental resistance. ᴵᶠ ʸᵒᵘ ᵍᵉᵗ ᵗʰᶦˢ ʳᵉᶠᵉʳᵉᶰᶜᵉ, ᴵ ᶫᵒᵛᵉ ʸᵒᵘ

Jk, jk. If you want to draw well, you have to just practice. Look up references and tutorials if need be, you’ll get better with time. You should also try to draw stuff you’re comfy with at first, I started off by drawing bayformers and characters from Transformers Animated. So if there’s something you really like, try drawing them first. Also, don’t trace, that doesn’t help. :confused: You’ll get better, just keep on practicing, yo. ^-^

5 Likes

I would say the first step would be to create your own style. Just sketch a bunch until you find something that pleases you. But hey, what do I know.

2 Likes