How do I get good at drawing?

Alright then

Try using a pencil and paper to draw. That’s not it, though. Start with things that you’re comfortable drawing and not something complex.

I suggest when drawing use frames, which basically are simple placeholders for limbs or attachments onto your drawing. This way you don’t draw freestyle and it doesn’t turn out to be a mess.

If you want digital drawings, consider getting a much better drawing software such as paint.net or JIMP, which include more in-depth features that can make your drawing much better when compared to MS paint. For even better results, purchase a digital pad to draw on and see what you can do.

PS: Don’t try to use a brush on a laptop. It’s almost impossible. Buy a USB mouse.

Well to be fair if you don’t take art classes you gotta learn with practice, just keep trying and trying and I’m sure you will draw better. I never took drawing classes.

2 Likes

practice? I’m not really good at explanations lol. I’ve taken classes so I learned from that, but if I didn’t practice it on my own time, I would of failed the class. Practicing is the best way to learn something better.

1 Like

100 sketches, 100 anatomical practices and 100 meaningless doodles along with drawing 10 km lines every single day. Eat three meals a day, but only a banana as breakfast and also don’t use the AC, to strengthen your mental resistance. ᴵᶠ ʸᵒᵘ ᵍᵉᵗ ᵗʰᶦˢ ʳᵉᶠᵉʳᵉᶰᶜᵉ, ᴵ ᶫᵒᵛᵉ ʸᵒᵘ

Jk, jk. If you want to draw well, you have to just practice. Look up references and tutorials if need be, you’ll get better with time. You should also try to draw stuff you’re comfy with at first, I started off by drawing bayformers and characters from Transformers Animated. So if there’s something you really like, try drawing them first. Also, don’t trace, that doesn’t help. :confused: You’ll get better, just keep on practicing, yo. ^-^

5 Likes

I would say the first step would be to create your own style. Just sketch a bunch until you find something that pleases you. But hey, what do I know.

2 Likes

Time to try drawing umarak using all this stuff that ppl have told me to do. Probably post l8r today, or tomorrow if I don’t finish it.

And I’m sorry I don’t get the reference

Awh… ;~;

(btw, looking forward to the drawings)

2 Likes

Practice makes perfect. Plus you should perfect drawing with a pencil and paper before doing computer stuff. Also don’t be afraid to use a reference. For example: let’s say you want to draw a cartoon character. Have a picture of the character to reference until you are sure that you can draw that character from memory.

Also don’t expect to get good instantly. This stuff takes time (how much time I cannot say for sure).

2 Likes

i didnt start getting super serious about drawing until 5-ish years ago, and before that i just drew in my sketchbook all the time for fun
(i’ll try to post more about how i learned to draw later if i remember)

3 Likes

First, start with a pencil and paper. Now the only things I can really give are to practice, learn the principals of art, and practice (really the only way to improve is to practice).

Well, I did a thing.

Using a skeleton to start off with, and vaguely copying the box art of umarak, I drew this. I annotated which colours would go where, because I have no colours to use :confused: . The eyes are a bit small, but I’m rather happy with how it turned out. :smile:

Thanks, will keep in mind in the future. Now that you mention it, it does seem a little bit lopsided, and I’ll try using frames in another drawing.

5 Likes

Like I said, consider using frames so that it isn’t lopsided and more solid.

1 Like

Keep at it you’re eventually going to start seeing the results you want.

The Hau isn’t that bad, except the eyes. Also, it’s much easier to draw with paper and pencil then a computer.

It really depends on what you like more, computer and paper can be equally as easy or hard to try. The thing is just to try both and see which one suits you the best.

1 Like

Here are my personal tips and tricks for drawing. I highly recommend drawing lightly first, that way if you mess up, it’s easier to erase the mistake. It also helps with finalizing your character.

For heads:

First, lightly draw a circle. This is basically the main part of the persons skull, just without the jaw. Draw a vertical line to represent the middle of the face. The draw a line slightly below the circle to represent where the eyes and nose will be. Where the two lines meet is where the nose will be placed.

The horizontal line can also help with placing the ears.

With this, a jaw can be made. There are manny ways to make a jaw. Here are some examples:

With this, the eyes and other features can be drawn in.

For bodies:

I first draw an action line. It helps with how you want the character to be positioned. An easy one is, of course, when the character is just standing or striking a confident pose.

Then add two horizontal lines, this will help with creating the torsos. Add two ovals, it’s basically the ribcage.

With the torso pretty much done, it’s time for the limbs. The best way to do this is to draw them like stick figure limbs and then draw rectangles as the upper and lower limbs and circles where they connect. Hands are represented by triangles.

I really do hope that this helps. If you have questions, just ask! :laughing:

5 Likes

I did another thing

Again, I used a reference image, but this time I used action frames for it as well as a skeleton (no that wasn’t a pun). I also decided to add a plain background to it, as it looked bad on white paper
Idk why I put a signature though, it was just a spur of the moment thing I guess.

1 Like

@8BitArt Thank you, sir. This sort of drawing technique is something I’ve used since I was seven. Of course, I fell out of drawing when I was 13, but most of my knowledge has stayed with me today. You don’t become Michaelangelo overnight, but you can over a couple years. :blush:

1 Like

Ayy, you’ve improved.
Now that you’ve used our advice, I suggest you start creating your own style.

Thanks a lot :smile:

1 Like