How do you pronounce Lewa?

According to Greg MoL isn’t canon.

3 Likes

MoL is indeed canon, however it has many inaccuracies.

I think this makes a good point and kind of questions whether the encyclopedias really are a good source on this matter. Also, as Ghidora pointed out, it has changed a lot in media.

Once again, I pose the question: How does one pronounce the word “lewa” in Hawaiian?

Honestly, I don’t think there’s really a solid answer, and imo, all three are correct; perhaps different characters pronounce it differently?

3 Likes

Really? I remember reading somewhere he said it wasn’t canon. But you can’t trust everyone on the internet. [quote=“Wolk, post:23, topic:40830”]
Once again, I pose the question: How does one pronounce the word “lewa” in Hawaiian?
[/quote]

Believe it or not it’s pronounced LEH-wah according to this website. Just scroll down a bit and there’s a pronunciation of the vowels.

4 Likes

I think MoL was canon but Legends of Metru Nui wasn’t

1 Like

oh god… a fourth pronunciation to throw into the mix

I prefer lehwah to laywah and loowah, but leewah reigns supreme

2 Likes

Well Lehwah is pronounced the same as laywah.

3 Likes

no, “Leh” is absolutely not pronounced the same as “Lay”

2 Likes

How is it pronounced then?

2 Likes

I’m not sure how to explain…
Lay down, or Later
vs
Le-vitation
levitation has the Leh pronunciation while later has the Lay
probably the best example i can think of

2 Likes

Oh you’re pronouncing it differently.
You know the stereotypical ‘Eh’ Canadians don’t actually say? That’s how _leh_wah is pronounced according to a Hawaiian dictionary.

3 Likes

Ah, okay I see

3 Likes

All 4 movies are canon. Just not certain aspects… Anyways, let’s not get sidetracked.

Thanks for pronounciation, Morgy. :ok_hand:

Still seems there’s no absolute answer to this, and I doubt Greg will give us one at this point… and I doubt it would make any difference if he did.

2 Likes

For what it’s worth I’ve always said Laywah, before alternating between it and Leewah, then finally saying Leewah nearly exclusively.

2 Likes

Um, this is a contradiction.

It’d be fairer to say the overarching plot in MoL/The Movies is Canon, instead of ‘all of it’.

3 Likes