How do you pronounce Tomato?

to-may-to

1 Like

To-MAY-to

while we’re on the topic, I’ve heard people say To-MAY-to, To-Ma-to and Po-Tay-to but never Po-Ta-to.

2 Likes
3 Likes

I pronounce it to-mah-to when I’m not thinking about it, but I actually think that to-may-to sounds better in general. Same with ba-nah-nah/ba-na-nah. It’s part of the problem with being someone who started learning to speak in America and finished in Australia.

Also @NoCashValue, I always loved the double-layered joke provided by his full name (visible on his side, I think) actually being “Tow Mater”.

1 Like

“Toe-Mate-toe” At least that’s how I pronounce it.

Toe-may-toe. Plain and simple.

This.

Toe-may-toe.

You say toemateo, I order a subordinate to say toemahto

actually I say it toe-may-toe

1 Like

Both, depending on the situation and randomness

2 Likes

I say Tuh-made-o.

Personally, Tom8to!

Well, we definitely know how @Viper pronounces it.

According to Wikipedia

The usual pronunciations of “tomato” are /təˈmeɪtoʊ/ (usual in American English) and /təˈmɑːtoʊ/ (usual in British English).[83] The word’s dual pronunciations were immortalized in Ira and George Gershwin’s 1937 song “Let’s Call the Whole Thing Off” (“You like /pəˈteɪtoʊ/ and I like /pəˈtɑːtoʊ/ / You like /təˈmeɪtoʊ/ and I like /təˈmɑːtoʊ/”) and have become a symbol for nitpicking pronunciation disputes. In this capacity, it has even become an American and British slang term: saying “/təˈmeɪtoʊ/ /təˈmɑːtoʊ/” when presented with two choices can mean “What’s the difference?” or “It’s all the same to me.”

I say it təˈmɑːtoʊ. (Toe-may-toe).

təˈmɑːtoʊ is pronounced to-mah-toe. See that colon? It means the vow before it is elongated.
təˈmeɪtoʊ is pronounced to-may-toe.

3 Likes

PARADAJZ! of course.