How do you start your MOC building process?

I start with an idea.

Overthink it for a month or two until I have some sense of what I’m doing.

Then I try to make it a reality and end up losing a lot of it in the process.

2 Likes

I usually start my MOC building process by being inspired by something, whether it be from a movie, video game, or concept art. I then choose a color scheme and then I start building it. I’ll revise the moc a lot of times until I feel like it’s good enough and even then I’ll continue revising it.

1 Like

I generaly start by deciding If I’m going to make a Transformer or a Bionicle.
Then I generally build the legs.

Exactly how you do!

I take inspiration from characters/creatures which I have seen in movies, video games and books. It kind of builds itself in my head then I start to build it in real life. They usually end up very close to what I imagined.

I…put parts together to make a torso…and then I go from there and clean it up on the way.

1 Like

I build until I figure out something good.

Sometimes it’s like this:

1. Start building
  2. Think this is going really well
  3. Being completely satisfied with MOC

or it goes like this:

1. Starts building
  2. Think the MOC looks bad and redoes it
  3. Repeat this a few times
  4. Goes through stress and frustration
  5. Abandons MOC for a few weeks
  6. Comes back and finally finishes it
6 Likes

Either I’m toying with a new torso construction or I’m upgrading Hutere.
Or I’m revamping.
And I do all those things a ton.

Question: How did you start that first torso design?

I usually start with a plan:
Lanky, bulky, or hunchback.
Those often, however, are only slight variations on a simple design.
However, seeing as you’re making a self moc, you should start with a concept in mind.
First, come up with a mask or helmet you wish to use, then the build (not out of Legos, lanky, bulky, hunchback), and then think of a colour scheme.
Then gather the parts you want to use, and begin building.

2 Likes

I’m no professional mocist, but I’ll do my best to help.

1. I usually don’t know what it’ll look like until I finish. I kinda just tinker around with stuff, trying different things to see what looks best. If it ends up unsatisfactory, then I usually start over.

2. I don’t have a plan, I slap technic pieces together till it looks good /s
    This really comes from what physical features you want the thing you’re making to have, and what pieces would best accomplish that feel. DON’T FORGET DAT WAIST ARTICULATION BOI

Limbs: Kinda like torsos, just remember that limbs never need to be custom and will look fine with normal bones (but they can be customized with tires, studs, etc.)

1. You can put studs in longer bones, or attach armor to the back.

I hope this helped!

1. I find a concept.
  2. I don’t plan at all.
  3. I make a terrible build like a limb.
  4. I start over the limb.
  5. I make a limb that is okay.
  6. I repeat 3-5 for every limb.
  7. I mash it all together.
  8. I am somewhat satisfied with the results for the first few minutes.
  9. I realize I really don’t like some parts.
  10. I fix those parts over time as I notice them.
  11. I am satisfied with a finished MOC.
2 Likes

Try finding a design you like. Once you have the design, you can work from there. At least that’s what I do. Perhaps something else works for you.
(And believe in the Doge Memes)

2 Likes

You (and only you) can only know what you want it to look like. It’ll just sort of come together as you start building.

For my SM, I stole the Kylo Ren skeleton then just figured out a way to use the pieces I wanted for armor. I don’t recommend that though.

1 Like

Sometimes, as a wise toucan said, “Follow your nose!” and you can get far. And by that, I mean envision how you want the moc’s body to look, find colors you like, armor of your choosing. Don’t let any barriers get in you way, if you can’t connect some parts, work around it! Just be yourself, and keep in mind the proportions of what you have in mind. This sounds really cheesy, but then, cheese is pretty yummy…

Use system.

/S

I build mainly in system, so I might not be a big help. I’ll just do what I normally do.

• Think of some really cool function, like missiles in the chest, or a mech that looks like a toa.
  • Build said function
  • End up with result
  • play/look at it
  • Find problems
  • Think how reasonable/easy it would be to fix it
  • if you answered yes to the previous step, fix it
  • repeat last 4 steps

This is my way to building.

1 Like

This almost exactly how I build system mocs.

What I do is I have a main torso structure I use that is fairly easy to modify and change the proportions of and I just work off of it.

In many cases my mocs build themselves through experimentation, with no real end goal in mind. I don’t recommend getting into the habit of doing this unless it’s for a table scrap, it usually causes minor conflics throughout the moc that add up. When I do know what I’m building, however, I usually just start building some designs based off my imagination, trying a few here and there until the segment is done. Then I move onto the next and once I finish it I try to make sure it works with the segment it’s connected to.

1 Like

The best way to start a MOC is to throw a bunch of pieces on your floor and put them together in ways that seem interesting.

At least, that’s how I do it.

I have a concept for a build in my head that I toy with for a while. This concept includes color scheme, the physique and style I want to go for in the build, and a few key elements such as mask, weapon, and the like.

Once I know I’m ready to begin building a MOC. I will - usually the night before - dig through my drawers, get out pieces in the style and colors that I want for armor, and lay them out on the floor in the general shape of the MOC (think building onto a Vitruvian Man). The process of building, from that point, is simply connecting those pieces of armor and filling in any gaps.

Usually I have this planned out as a part of the general anatomy. If not, I’ll find a simple-to-use piece such as an Inika armor, Beast foot, or CCBS shell and configure some way to attach it.

In practice. Right now I’m working on Shaju, who is meant to be a taller Master of Water (male, if you were wondering) who wears a power armor suit. That idea was preceded by him being a knight with a non-powered suit of armor, which I switched from after realizing that the power armor concept would be easier for me to execute - also, that concept would allow me to reuse techniques from an earlier MOC I had made, that was also rather well-received, including techniques to armor over the sides of arms and backs of legs.

1 Like