How Does Makuta’s Takeover of the Great-Spirit Robot Fit the Cancer Metaphor?

I’ve been gone from this forum for a while — mostly because I ended up having a sci-fi story idea of my own that has little to do with Bionicle, though it may end up featuring in it as a cameo (since the sci-fi story is about a generation ship, and the Great-Spirit Robot is technically one, too — even though it’s closer to a Methusalem spaceship, given that the Matoran do not have a natural age limit).

Ever since I started working on a story of my own again, I’ve been concerning myself more and more with the themes inherent in the premises of stories. While I extensively criticised the Great-Spirit Robot twist on a plot level in a previous thread (a few of you might remember :wink: ), I do appreciate it as an inspiring take when thinking of the original premise that inspired it:
Namely, how the story of the Toa defeating Makuta who was keeping Mata Nui asleep was a metaphor for overcoming cancer, and the Toa canisters were the capsules / pills.

What I’ve begun to wonder, though: How does the plot twist of Makuta (Teridax) taking over the Great-Spirit Robot after its ultimate re-awakening fit this premise?

In the story, Makuta changed his plans upon learning that Mata Nui wasn’t just asleep, but dying. And since all life within the Great-Spirit Robot depended on it, if Mata Nui had died, Makuta would ultimately have died, too. So far, this would still have been consistent with the original premise, as a cancer ultimately cannot survive without the host body. However, in contrast to a sentient villain like Makuta Teridax, cancer of course has no intentions of its own. It’s a mindless killer, perhaps more appropriately represented by something like the Morbuzakh plant, which just keeps growing until it destroys everything around it.

Was the point in the story where Makuta was retconned into a villain who wanted to control the universe — rather than the Makuta who wanted to protect his brother by keeping him asleep, as Mask of Light implied — perhaps also were the story departed from the original premise of the cancer metaphor? How else would the takeover of the Great-Spirit Robot fit that image? Mata Nui is alive and well again, and yet, the cancer (Makuta) has won?

Then Mata Nui’s Spirit returns, destroys its own body, and everyone who lived inside it starts living on a new world. If you want to fit the conclusion of Bionicle into the cancer metaphor, it would imply defeating cancer via transhumanism, by transplanting your mind into a different body.

When looking at the story through this thematic lens, I do not have an issue with the Great-Spirit Robot itself — regardless of my attachment to the island of Mata Nui on his face, as the island now seems more like a dream world, a refuge in the robot’s mind while he was lying in a coma. And as the dream ends, so does the dream world — with the island being destroyed. (The Bohrok in this case would be the robot’s way of “washing his face in the morning”, except he has to do it before getting up. :smile: )

However, I may end up being less fond of the plot twist of Makuta Teridax taking over the robot post-awakening, if I conclude this might be a “twist for the twist’s sake” that actively undermines the original premise of the story.

And given how much of this story was provably planned from the beginning, undermining the original premise would be a bigger deal for Bionicle than for other stories that are made up by the writers as they go (“pantsers”, like G.R.R. Martin).

What do you think? Can you find a way of reconciling Makuta Teridax’s takeover of the Great-Spirit Robot with the cancer allegory?

5 Likes

I think that Makuta himself was the cancer in the allegory. Also, I think that allegory ceased being really used after a few years.

3 Likes

The cancer allegory really only applied to the initial set up. Makuta is an infection, the Toa are medicine, the Matoran are blood cells. The Metru Nui arc moreso focused on setting up the world beyond this allegory.

Now, I would hardly call it a “twist for a twist’s sake”. The Ignition Saga as a whole focuses on turning what we already know about the Bionicle universe on its head.

From the start, we have six Toa canisters wash ashore on an island, only to turn out to be the villains this time around, enslaving the Matoran. The Toa Nuva arrive, only to lose, leaving the job to the Matoran we’d grown to love to take up arms.

2008 does this a lot. There’s Takanuva’s arc of learning to more closely discern the difference between good and evil, the Nuva recover their memories rather than losing them, and lastly, the awakening of Mata Nui, which was thought to be the inevitable resolution, is in fact the darkest hour of the story. It works to turn what we already knew on its head, to make us further question the nature of this world.

5 Likes

Mostly this.

I don’t want to de-legitimize the original question. I always love looking deeper into the themes of stories, and the fact that you’re doing so for the sake of your own story is fantastic.

But I agree with the notion that the cancer allegory never seemed to be much of an intentional thematic through-line for Bionicle, at least not past the first year.

There’s an important distinction between allegory in stories and inspirations for stories. Allegory can be intentional or unintentional, and in Bionicle’s case, I think the impetus of the premise very much hinged on the cancer metaphor. Mata-Nui being a giant robot hidden beneath the waves and heroes fighting an infectious evil to restore his health was always part of the Bionicle story, even from the original pitches and development.

But I think that a lot of that was drawn directly from Faber’s experience as inspiration, not as an intentional theme. In other words, Faber’s experience led him to imagine the concept of tiny internal warriors fighting evil, and he used that vague, fuzzy concept to forge something more robust, with its own themes. The original set-up remains, but I don’t suspect that “Makuta is meant to be cancer and the Toa are medicine” was ever meant to be something the audience were to notice and think about.

Bionicle does have a lot of themes. Nature vs technology, good vs evil, the interplay between destiny and free will, friendship, even creation vs destruction. But I don’t think “cancer and medicine” were meant to be included there.

After the original three years, Bionicle advanced far past its original concepts, as any story really must if it’s meant to drive sales of a product. It became more sci-fi and more conventional, and as the story and characters developed, new ideas entered the mix. Makuta taking over that original robot body is, in my opinion, a really creative and unique plot twist, one that only really could have come from an evolution of the storytelling. We lost a bit of mystery in that transition, yes, but it still clearly captivated us all regardless.

Given how much new information we’ve received in the last year or so regarding Bionicle’s inception, I actually think it was way closer to “pantsers” than you might imagine.

We know that the GSR was always planned, but none of the actual plot up to the Makuta takeover was at that point. They barely had the Toa figured out at that time, let alone a decade of characters and plotlines and details. The primary focus of development was making new and unique sets, not a compelling story. Most of the time, the toys came first and people like Greg were left to cobble together a reason for them. There’s nothing quite more “pantsy” than literally being handed your characters and setting only months or so in advance.

But, to conclude:

I don’t think so, because I don’t believe we were ever meant to.

The cancer allegory was the inspiration for the story, but it’s not the story itself. The Makuta takeover is a plot detail that came much later and is one that works towards other, more general themes of Bionicle as a whole.

7 Likes

I think that there is something to be said for the continuation of the human body analogy in the years after 03. Metru Nui being Mata Nui’s brain, the Matoran being the reason he stays alive, Karda Nui being his heart, the Pit his stomach, etc.

Here’s one way to look at it (though far from the only way to look at it):
The brain cancer that is Makuta has taken not just a physical toll on Mata Nui, but a mental toll as well. The suffering from the cancer has taken over his whole self, it’s all he can think about. He’s just woken up from a coma and he has no idea how to help himself. But he does know how to help others, so that’s what he does. He makes new friends, and they help remind him of who he is. A combined effort of his new friends, the medicine in his body, and his own effort allow him to finally beat this cancer for good! And now, he can get some real rest.

(I’ll admit, I have no idea how to tie the whole “prototype robot” aspect into this analogy)

3 Likes