How many copies of each Bionicle set do you think Lego produced?

A thought that keeps me up at night is the fact that no new Bionicle will ever be created - at least not the way it was before. The old molds are long destroyed, and so the simple truth is, anytime a socket cracks, a mask goes missing, or somebody’s old collection somehow winds up in a landfill, there’s less Bionicle in the world. And there will only ever be less. The amount of authentic Bionicle parts is today the most there ever will be, and tomorrow there will either be the same or less, but never more.

So what I wonder is, how many Bionicle did Lego make anyway? Not the number of individual sets (which I’d assume is somewhere over 100, I guess), but rather, the literal amount of sets they produced and pumped into stores. How many 2001 Tahu’s are there, for example? A million? Half a million? What about more limited release sets, like Karzhani?

I sort of want to know, partly out of random curiosity, and partly because even if Bionicle parts will only ever trend further and further towards scarcity, I’m curious if there is still virtually “infinite” Bionicle out there for all practical intents and purposes. I don’t know if there’s any hard figures we can use or just guestimates, but I’ll definitely appreciate hearing any thought about this.

8 Likes

I tried to find an answer for this for LEGO sets in general, and it seems this is a mystery among the wider LEGO community as well.

What is clear is that production numbers are never set in stone and always vary depending on a number of factors. The set’s size and rarity are probably the two factors that most contribute to how many sets are actually made. Smaller sets are easier and cheaper to make, so they usually are made in very large quantities. In the opposite direction, rare or limited edition sets are usually between the 5000 to 20,000 copy range.

But there are a ton of other factors including the set’s popularity, the line’s popularity, the cost to make or ship the set, and the number of sets produced likely fluctuates over the lifetime of a line.

Sadly, there’s no way to get an exact answer on this unless LEGO ever released this information, which they don’t. We’re left to only guestimate, which even then is very hard to do based on all of those varying factors. It’s even harder with Bionicle since it’s now entirely on the second hand market - most of the ways I see that people try and figure this stuff out is by extrapolating based on the shelves at retailers.

It is interesting food for thought, though. Keep in mind that in the grand scheme of things, the Bionicle community is fairly small. The percentage of Bionicle fans that actively buy parts and build is even smaller. And as time goes on, it’s less and less likely that new fans will enter the community. The number of pieces in the world is shrinking, yes, but so is the number of people who actively want them.

But Bionicle was popular in its prime. One of LEGO’s top-selling lines, in fact. That alone is a good metric to make assumptions. I don’t know if the number of sets would be in the millions - it’s possible, as I’ve seen others estimate that some of the most popular LEGO City sets could be in the millions - but I think the high hundred-thousands is likely for a lot of the earlier Bionicle sets. That might dwindle to the tens of thousands later in the line.

But clearly, LEGO produced enough of these sets to meet their demand, even more than the demand. For the time being, I feel like we are currently in a “functionally infinite” state for Bionicle. And it’s likely there are droves of sets we don’t even know about still hanging around - case in point, DuckBrick’s Bionicle Dream video:

One day there will be no more Bionicle pieces, it’s the sad truth. It’s equally sad but true that, one day, there will probably be no more Bionicle fans. But right now, I feel like there’s enough to go around.

7 Likes

At leasr three. :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

lime pieces, because we broke them all by accident.

5 Likes

We do at least know the sales totals for 2001 since Duckbricks managed to get his hands on the 2001 financial report

So, 70 million products sold by 2001. We also know that sales had reached over 200 million by 2003 thanks to this retailer pitch tape included in the 2003 Style Guide

6 Likes